Stability and folds
- J. H. Maddocks
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
It is known that when one branch of a simple fold in a bifurcation diagram represents (linearly) stable solutions, the other branch represents unstable solutions. The theory developed here can predict instability of some branches close to folds, without knowledge of stability of the adjacent branch, provided that the underlying problem has a variational structure. First, one particular bifurcation diagram is identified as playing a special role, the relevant diagram being specified by the choice of functional plotted as ordinate. The results are then stated in terms of the shape of the solution branch in this distinguished bifurcation diagram. In many problems arising in elasticity the preferred bifurcation diagram is the loaddisplacement graph. The theory is particularly useful in applications where a solution branch has a succession of folds.
The theory is illustrated with applications to simple models of thermal selfignition and of a chemical reactor, both of which systems are of Émden-Fowler type. An analysis concerning an elastic rod is also presented.
- Antman, S. S., & G. Rosenfeld (1978), Global behavior of buckled states of nonlinearly elastic rods. SIAM Review 20, p. 513. Corrigenda (1980) 22, p. 186.
- Chandrasekhar, S. (1939), An Introduction to the Study of Stellar Structure. U. of Chicago Press.
- Chow, S. N., & R. Lauterbach (1985), A Bifurcation Theorem for Critical Points of Variational Problems. IMA Report # 179.
- Crandall, M. C., & P. H. Rabinowitz (1973), Bifurcation, Perturbation of Simple Eigenvalues and Linearized Stability. Archive for Rational Mechanics and Analysis 52, pp. 160–192.
- Davis, H. T. (1962), Introduction to Nonlinear Differential and Integral Equations, Dover, New York.
- Decker, D. W., & H. B. Keller (1980), Multiple Limit Point Bifurcation. J. of Math. Anal. and Appl. 65, pp. 417–430.
- Decker, D. W., & H. B. Keller (1981), Path Following Near Bifurcation. Comm. Pure and Applied Math. 34, p. 149.
- émden, R. (1907), Gaskugeln. Berlin and Leipzig.
- Ericksen, J. L. (1975), Equilibrium of bars. J. of Elasticity 5, pp. 191–201.
- Gel'fand, I. M. (1963), Some problems in the theory of quasilinear equations. Amer. Math. Soc. Transl. Series 2 Vol. 29, pp. 295–381.
- Iooss, G., & D. D. Joseph (1980), Elementary Stability and Bifurcation Theory. Springer, New York.
- Jackson, R. (1973), A simple geometric condition for instability in catalyst pellets at unit Lewis number. Chemical Engineering Science 28, pp. 1355–1358.
- James, R. D. (1981), The equilibrium and post-bucking behavior of an elastic curve governed by a non-convex energy. J. Elasticity 11, pp. 239–269.
- Joseph, D. D. (1979), Factorization Theorems and Repeated Branching of Solutions at a Simple Eigenvalue. Annals of the New York Academy of Sciences 316, pp. 150–167.
- Joseph, D. D., & T. S. Lundgren (1973), Quasilinear Dirichlet Problems Driven by Positive Sources. Arch. Rational Mech. Anal. 49, pp. 241–269.
- Katz, J. (1978) (1979), On the number of unstable modes of an equilibrium I and II. Mon. Not. R. Astr. Soc. 183, pp. 765–769, and 189, pp. 817–822.
- Keller, H. B. (1977), Constructive Methods for Bifurcation and Nonlinear Eigenvalue Problems. Proc. 3rd Int. Symp. on Computing Method in Applied Science and Engineering.
- Maddocks, J. H. (1984), Stability of nonlinearly elastic rods. Archive for Rational Mechanics and Analysis 85, pp. 311–354.
- Maddocks, J. H. (1985), Restricted quadratic forms and their application to bifurcation and stability in constrained variational principles. SIAM J. of Math. Anal. 16, pp. 47–68.
- Maddocks, J. H., & Jepson, A. D. (1986), Exchange of stability in variational bifurcation problems. In preparation.
- Mehta, B. N., & R. Aris (1971), A note on the form of the Émden-Fowler equation. J. Math. Anal. & Applications 36, pp. 611–621.
- Sattinger, D. H. (1972), Stability of Solutions of Nonlinear Equations. J. Math. Anal. & Appl. 39, pp. 1–12.
- Shatah, J., & W. Strauss (1985), Instability of nonlinear bound states. Comm. Math. Phys. 100, pp. 173–190.
- Thompson, J. M. T. (1979), Stability predictions through a succesion of folds. Phil. Trans. Roy. Soc. of London 192 A, p. 1386.
- Weinberger, H. (1978), On the Stability of Bifurcating Solutions. Reprint from “Nonlinear Analysis” (dedicated to Erich Rothe), Academic Press.
- Wente, Henry C. (1980), The Stability of the Axially Symmetric Pendent Drop. Pac J. of Math. 88, pp. 421–469.
- Zeidler, Eberhard (1984), Nonlinear Functional Analysis and its Applications, Part III. Variational Methods and Optimization, Springer-Verlag, New York.
- Stability and folds
Archive for Rational Mechanics and Analysis
Volume 99, Issue 4 , pp 301-328
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- J. H. Maddocks (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Mathematics, University of Maryland, College Park