Mutagenicity of radiations and chemical mutagens in Sorghum
- K. Sree Ramulu
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
A comparative study on the relative mutagenicity of radiations (X-and gamma rays) and chemical mutagens (EMS, MMS, dES and NEU) in inducing chlorophyll, viable and total mutations was made on three cultivated varieties (Co. 11, Co. 12 and Co. 18) of Eu-Sorghum. A critical comparison of the chlorophyll, viable and total mutations shows that the mutation rate increased with an increase in dose up to a certain dose level beyond which the saturation effect was observed. EMS was found to be the most potent mutagen in inducing chlorophyll, viable and total mutations. The treatments with NEU (viable mutations) and dES (viable and total mutations) also proved to be effective. In a large number of cases the relationship between chlorophyll and total mutations was more close than that of viable to total mutation rates.
- Ehrenberg, L., Nybom, N.: Ion density and biological effectiveness of radiation. Acta Agric. Scand. 4, 396 to 418 (1954).
- Fujii, T.: Radiosensitivity in plants. V. Experiments with several cultivated and wild rices. Jap. J. Breed. 12, 131–136 (1962).
- Gaul, H.: Mutations in plant breeding. Rad. Bot. 4, 155–232 (1964).
- Hildering, G. J.: The mutagenic effect of ethylene imine on the tomato. Euphytica 12, 113–119 (1963).
- Kawai, T.: The present status of mutation research and breeding in rice in Japan. IRC Newsletter 11, 10–22 (1962).
- Konzak, C.F., Nilan, R. A., Wagner, J., Foster, R. J.: Efficient chemical mutagenesis. Symp. on use of induced mutations in Plant Breeding (FAO/IAEA, Rome) 49–70 (1965).
- Matsuo T., Yamaguchi, H.: Review of research on use of radiation induced mutations in crop breeding in Japan. Euhytica 11, 245–255 (1962).
- Rao, R. N., Natarajan, A. T.: Mutagenicity of some alkyl alkanc sulfonates in barley. Mutation Res. 2, 133–148 (1965).
- Sree Ramulu, K.: Studies on induced mutations in the genus Sorghum (Moench.). Thesis submitted for Ph. D. degree of Univ. of Madras (1968).
- Swaminathan, M. S.: Effect of diplontic selection on the frequency and spectrum of mutations induced in polyploids following seed irradiations. Symp. Effects of ionizing radiation on seeds and significance for crop improvement. (IAEA, Vienna), 279 -288 (1961).
- Wellensiek, S. J.: Comparison of the effects of EMS, neutrons, gamma and X-rays on peas. Symp. Use of induced mutations in Plant Breeding (FAO/IAEA, Rome) 227–235 (1965).
- Yamaguchi, H.: Genetic effects of pile radiations in rice. Symp. Biological effects of neutron and proton irradiations I. (IAEA, Vienna) 371 to 382 (1964).
- Mutagenicity of radiations and chemical mutagens in Sorghum
Theoretical and Applied Genetics
Volume 40, Issue 6 , pp 257-260
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- K. Sree Ramulu (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Division of Cytogenetics & Plant Breeding, Agricultural College and Research Institute, Coimbatore, India