The initial-value problem for elastodynamics of incompressible bodies
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
We prove short-time well-posedness of the Cauchy problem for incompressible strongly elliptic hyperelastic materials.
Our method consists in:
Reformulating the classical equations in order to solve for the pressure gradient (The pressure is the Lagrange multiplier corresponding to the constraint of incompressibility.) This formulation uses both spatial and material variables.
Solving the reformulated equations by using techniques which are common for symmetric hyperbolic systems. These are:
Using energy estimates to bound the growth of various Sobolev norms of solutions.
Finding the solution as the limit of a sequence of solutions of linearized problems.
Our equations differ from hyperbolic systems, however, in that the pressure gradient is a spatially non-local function of the position and velocity variables.
- Adams, R. A., Sobolev Spaces, Academic Press, 1975.
- Arnold, V., Mathematical Methods of Classical Mechanics, Springer-Verlag, 1978.
- Ball, J. M., Convexity Conditions and Existence Theorems in Nonlinear Elasticity, Arch. Rational Mech. Anal. 63, 1977, 337–403.
- J. P. scBourguignon & H. scBrezis, Remarks on the Euler Equation. Journal of Functional Analysis 15, 1974, pp. 341–363.
- Dafermos, C. M., & W. J. scHrusa, Energy methods for quasilinear hyperbolic initial-boundary value problems. Applications to elastodynamics. Arch. Rational Mech. Anal. 87, 1985, 267–292.
- Ebin, D. G., The manifold of Riemannian Metrics, Proc. Symposia Pure Math., Global Analysis 15 (1970), 11–40.
- Ebin, David G., & Jerrold scMarsden, Groups of Diffeomorphisms and the Motion of an Incompressible Fluid. Annals of Mathematics 92, 1970, 102–163.
- Hughes, T. J. R., T. Kato, & J. E. Marsden, Well-posed Quasi-linear Secondorder Hyperbolic Systems with Applications to Nonlinear Elastodynamics and General Relativity. Arch. Rational Mech. Anal. 63, 1977, 273–294.
- Hughes, T. J. R., & J. E. Marsden, Mathematical Foundations of Elasticity. Prentice-Hall, 1983.
- Kato, T., The Cauchy Problem for Quasi-Linear Symmetric Hyperbolic Systems. Arch. Rational Mech. Anal. 58, 1975, 181–205.
- Kato, T., & C. V. scLai, Nonlinear Evolution Equations and the Euler Flow. Journal of Functional Analysis 56, 1984, 15–28.
- Lions, J. L., et E. Magenes, Problèmes aux Limites non Homogènes et Applications. Vols. 1 et 2, Dunod, 1968.
- Moser, J., On the Volume Elements on a Manifold. Trans. Amer. Math. Soc. 120, 1965, 286–294.
- Ogden, R. W., On the Correlation of Theory and Experiment for Incompressible Rubberlike Solids. Proc. Roy. Soc. Lond. A 326, 1972, 565–584.
- Spanier, E. H., Algebraic Topology. McGraw-Hill, 1966.
- Truesdell, C., & W. Noll, The Non-Linear Field Theories of Mechanics, Handbuch der Physik III/3, ed: S. Flügge, Springer-Verlag, 1965.
- The initial-value problem for elastodynamics of incompressible bodies
Archive for Rational Mechanics and Analysis
Volume 94, Issue 1 , pp 15-38
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors