Assembly of the mitochondrial membrane system XVIII
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Fourteen cytoplasmic mutants of Saccharomyces cerevisiae with a specific deficiency of cytochrome b have been studied. The mutations have been shown to occur in two separate genetic loci, COB 1 and COB 2. These loci can be distinguished by mit−xmit− crosses. Pairwise crosses of cytochrome b mutants belonging to different loci yield 4–6% wild type recombinants corresponding to recombinational frequencies of 8–12%. In intra-locus crosses, the recombinational frequencies range from 1% to less than 0.01%. The two loci can also be distinguished by mit− × ρ − crosses. Twenty ρ − testers have been isolated of which ten preferentially restore mutations in COB 1 and ten others in COB 2.
The COB 1 and COB 2 loci have been localized on mitochondrial DNA between the two antibiotic resistance loci OLI 1 and OLI 2 in the order OLI 2-COB 2-COB 1-OLI 1. The results of mit−xmit− and mit− × ρ − crosses have also been used to map the cytochrome b mutations relative to each other. The maps obtained by the two independent methods are in good agreement.
Mutations in COB 1 have been found to be linked to the OLI1 locus in some but not in other strains of S. cerevisiae. This evidence suggests that there may be a spacer region between the two loci whose length varies from strain to strain.
Two mutations in COB 2 have been found to cause a loss of a mitochondrial translation product corresponding to the cytochrome b apoprotein. Instead of the wild type protein the mutants have a new low-molecular weight product which is probably a fragment of cytochrome b. The fact that the mutations revert suggests that they are nonsense mutations in the structural gene of cytochrome b.
- Deutsch, J., Dujon, B., Netter, P., Petrochilo, E., Slonimski, P.P., Bolotin-Fukuhara, M. (1974) Mitochondrial genetics VI. The petite mutation in Saccharomyces cerevisiae: Interrelations between the loss of the ρ +. Genetics 76: pp. 195-219
- Dujon, B., Slonimski, P.P., Weill, L. (1974) Mitochondrial genetics IX. A model of recombination and segregation of mitochondrial genomes in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Genetics 78: pp. 415-437
- Fukuhara, H., Bolotin-Fukuhara, M., Hsu, H.-J., Rabinowitz, M. (1976) Deletion mapping of mitochondrial transfer RNA genes in Saccharomyces cerevisiae by means of cytoplasmic petite mutants. Molec. gen. Genet. 145: pp. 7-17
- Foury, F., Tzagoloff, A. (1976) Localization in yeast mitochondrial DNA of mutations leading to a loss of rutamycin-sensitive adenosine triphosphatase. Europ. J. Biochem. 68: pp. 113-119
- Foury, F., Tzagoloff, A. (1976) Assembly of the mitochondrial membrane system XIX. Genetic characterization of mit− mutants with deficiencies in cytochrome oxidase and coenzyme QH2-cytochrome c reductase. Molec. gen. Genet. 149: pp. 43-50
- Katan, M.B., Groot, G.S.P. In: Quagliariello, E., Papa, S., Palmieri, F., Slater, E.C., Siliprandi, N. eds. (1975) Electron transfer chains and oxidative phosphorylation. North Holland Press, Amsterdam, pp. 127-132
- Needleman, R.B., Tzagoloff, A. (1975) Breakage of Yeast: A method for processing multiple samples. Anal. Biochem. 64: pp. 545-549
- Schweyen, R.J., Weiss-Brummer, B., Backhaus, B., Kaudewitz, F. In: Kroon, A., Saccone, S. eds. (1976) The genetic function of mitochondrial DNA. North Holland Press, Amsterdam
- Slonimski, P.P., Tzagoloff, A. (1976) Localization in yeast mitochondrial DNA of mutations expressed in a deficiency of cytochrome oxidase and/or coenzyme QH2-cytochrome c reductase. Europ. J. Biochem. 61: pp. 27-41
- Studier, F.W. (1973) Analysis of bacteriophage T7 early RNAs and proteins in slab gels. J. molec. Biol. 79: pp. 237-248
- Trembath, M.K., Molloy, P.L., Sriprakash, K.S., Cutting, G.J., Linnane, A.W., Lukins, H.B. (1976) Biogenesis of mitochondria 44. Comparative studies and mapping of mitochondrial oligomycin-resistance mutations in yeast based on gene recombination and petite deletion analysis. Molec. gen. Genet. 145: pp. 43-52
- Tzagoloff, A., Akai, A., Needleman, R.B. (1975) Assembly of the mitochondrial membrane system: Isolation of nuclear and cytoplasmic mutants of Saccharomyces cerevisiae with specific defects in mitochondrial functions. J. Bact. 122: pp. 826-831
- Tzagoloff, A., Akai, A., Needleman, R.B. (1975) Assembly of the mitochondrial membrane system: Characterization of nuclear mutants of Saccharomyces cerevisiae with defects in mitochondrial ATPase and respiratory enzymes. J. biol. Chem. 250: pp. 8228-8235
- Tzagoloff, A., Akai, A., Needleman, R.B., Zulch, G. (1975) Assembly of the mitochondrial membrane system: Cytoplasmic mutants of Saccharomyces cerevisiae with lesions in enzymes of the respiratory chain and in the mitochondrial ATPase. J. biol. Chem. 250: pp. 8236-8242
- Weiss, H., Ziganke, B. (1974) Cytochrome b in Neurospora crassa mitochondria. Site of translation of the heme protein. Europ. J. Biochem. 41: pp. 63-71
- Assembly of the mitochondrial membrane system XVIII
Molecular and General Genetics MGG
Volume 149, Issue 1 , pp 33-42
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors