Host-genotype and agent effects in scrapie incubation: Change in allelic interaction with different strains of agent
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Incubation period in mice of ME7 scrapie agent is known to be controlled by the gene sinc. Evidence is presented that the same gene probably also determines incubation period for the 22A scrapie agent which has very different biological properties. Not only is there a reversal of the direction of gene effect when these agents are compared in mice homozygous for two different alleles of sinc, but there is also a different type of allelic interaction—absence of dominance with ME7 and overdominance with 22A. Other agents are mentioned which extend this range of allelic interaction even further. It is suggested that replication of scrapie agent depends on a multimeric host site and that the two alleles of sinc contribute different types of subunits to these sites.
- Clarke, M. C., Haig, D. A.: Multiplication of scrapie agent in cell culture. Res. Vet. Sci. 11, 500–501 (1970).
- Dickinson, A. G.: Classification of scrapie agents based on histological and incubation period criteria in mice. Proceedings VI Internat. Congr. of Neuropathology, 841–842 (1970).
- — Fraser, H.: Genetical control of the concentration of ME7 scrapie agent in mouse spleen. J. comp. Path. 79, 363–366 (1969).
- — Meikle, V. M. H.: A comparison of some biological characteristics of the mouse-passaged scrapie agents, 22A and ME7. Genet. Res. 13, 213–225 (1969).
- — Fraser, H.: Identification of a gene which controls the incubation period of some strains of scrapie agent in mice. J. comp. Path. 78, 293–299 (1968).
- Fraser, H.: Comparative morphology of ageing and scrapie. Proceedings VI Internat. Congr. of Neuropathology, 897–898 (1970).
- — Dickinson, A. G.: Pathogenesis of scrapie in the mouse; the role of the spleen. Nature (Lond.) 226, 462–463 (1970).
- Haig, D. A.: Propagation of the scrapie agent in cell culture. Proceedings VI Internat. Congr. of Neuropathology, 856–857 (1970).
- Rosenberg, M.: Epigenetic control of lactate dehydrogenase subunit assembly. Nature New Biol. 230, 12–14 (1971).
- Zimmermann, F. K., Gundelach, E.: Intragenic complementation, hybrid enzyme formation and dominance in diploid cells of Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Molec. gen. Genet. 103, 348–362 (1969).
- Host-genotype and agent effects in scrapie incubation: Change in allelic interaction with different strains of agent
Molecular and General Genetics MGG
Volume 112, Issue 1 , pp 73-79
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors