Qualitative behavior of dissipative wave equations on bounded domains
- Jeffrey Rauch
- … show all 1 hide
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
The qualitative behavior of solutions of the mixed problem utt = Δu-a(x)ut in IR x Ω, u=0 on IR x ∂Ω, is studied in the case when a>0 and Ω⊂IRn is bounded. Roughly speaking, if a≧amin>0, then solutions decay at least as fast as exp t(ɛ −1/2amin), with the possible exception of a finite dimensional set of smooth solutions whose existence is associated with a phenomenon of overdamping. If amax is sufficiently small, depending on Ω, then no overdamping occurs.
- Dafermos, C., Contraction semigroups and trend to equalibrium in continuum mechanics, to appear.
- Iwasaki, N., Local decay of solutions for symmetric hyperbolic systems with dissipative and coercive boundary conditions in exterior domains, Publ. RIMS Kyoto U. 5, 193–218 (1969).
- Hille, E. and R. Phillips, Functional Analysis and Semigroups. AMS Colloquim Publications, vol. 31 (1957).
- Lax, P. and R. Phillips, Scattering Theory. New York: Academic Press 1967.
- Rauch, J., Five problems: an introduction to the qualitative theory of partial differential equations, in Partial Differential Equations and Related Topics. Springer Lecture Notes in Mathematics 446, 355–369 (1975).
- Rauch, J. and M. Taylor, Exponential decay of solutions to symmetric hyperbolic systems on bounded domains. Indiana Math. J. 24, 79–86 (1974).
- Rauch, J. and M. Taylor, Decay of solutions to non-dissipative hyperbolic systems on compact manifolds. Comm. Pure Appl. Math. 28, 501–503 (1975).
- Qualitative behavior of dissipative wave equations on bounded domains
Archive for Rational Mechanics and Analysis
Volume 62, Issue 1 , pp 77-85
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Jeffrey Rauch (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Mathematics, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan