General mass action kinetics
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The familiar idea of mass action kinetics is extended to embrace situations more general than chemically reacting mixtures in closed vessels. Thus, for example, many reaction regions connected by convective or diffusive mass transport, such as the cellular aggregates of biological tissue, are drawn into a common mathematical scheme.
The ideas of chemical thermodynamics, such as the algebraic nature of the equilibrium conditions and the decreasing property of the free energy, are also generalized in a natural way, and it is then possible to identify classes of generalized kinetic expressions which ensure consistency with the extended thermodynamic conditions. The principal result of this work shows that there exists a simply identifiable class of kinetic expressions, including the familiar detailed balanced kinetics as a proper subclass, which ensure consistency with the extended thermodynamic conditions. For kinetics of this class, which we call complex balanced kinetics, exotic behavior such as bistability and oscillation is precluded, so the domain of search for kinetic expressions with this type of behavior, which is of considerable biological interest, is greatly narrowed.
It is also shown that the ideas of complex balancing and of detailed balancing are closely related to symmetry under time reversal.
- Feinberg, M., On chemical kinetics of a certain class. Arch. Rational Mech. Anal. 46, 1–41 (1972).
- Higgins, J., Some remarks on Shear's Liapunov function for systems of chemical reactions. J. Theoret. Biol. 21, 293–304 (1968).
- Horn, F., Necessary and sufficient conditions for complex balancing in chemical kinetics. In preparation.
- Horn, F., General first order kinetics. Ber. Bunsenges. 75, 1191 (1971).
- Horn, F., Complex balancing and stability in reaction systems with three complexes. In preparation.
- Krambeck, F. J., The mathematical structure of chemical kinetics in homogeneous singlephase systems. Arch. Rational Mech. Anal. 38, 317–347 (1970).
- LaSalle, J., & S. Lefschetz, Stability by Liapunov's Direct Method, with Applications. New York: Academic Press 1961.
- Lewis, G. N., A new principle of equilibrium. Proc. Natn. Acad. Sci. 11, 179–183 (1925).
- Shear, D., An analog of the Boltzman H-theorem (a Lyapunov function) for systems of coupled chemical reactions. J. Theoret. Biol. 16, 212–228 (1967).
- Tucker, A. W., Dual Systems of Homogeneous Linear Relations in Linear Inequalities and Related Systems. H. W. Kuhn & A. W. Tucker, editors, Princeton University Press 1956.
- Wegscheider, R., Über simultane Gleichgewichte und die Beziehungen zwischen Thermodynamik und Reaktionskinetik homogener Systeme. Z. Phys. Chem. 39, 257–303 (1902).
- Wei, J., Axiomatic treatment of chemical reaction systems. J. Chem. Phys. 36, 1578–1584 (1962).
- General mass action kinetics
Archive for Rational Mechanics and Analysis
Volume 47, Issue 2 , pp 81-116
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors