Electrolytic process optimization by simultaneous-modular flowsheeting
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
A procedure is described for computer-assisted optimization of an electrolytic process flowsheet. Material, energy, and economic balances for all process units were incorporated in a nonlinear optimization routine for predicting the minimum selling price based on a discounted cash flow rate of return on investment. The optimization utilized a simultaneous-modular approach which was incorporated into the public version of the Aspen flowsheeting package, and used an infeasible path convergence method based on successive quadratic programming procedures. Electrolyte vapour-liquid equilibrium data were estimated by the ‘non-random two-liquid’ model. The Lagrangian multipliers of the constraint equations were used to determine the sensitivity of the optimum to key process variables. The method was illustrated by evaluation of two process flowsheets for electrosynthesis of methyl ethyl ketone (MEK) from 1-butene based on pilot-plant performance reported in the patent literature.
- J. Douglas, ‘Conceptual Design of Chemical Processes’, McGraw-Hill, New York (1988).
- R. La Roche, Ph.D thesis, Department of Chemical Engineering, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign (1988).
- R. Alkire, G. Cera and M. Stadtherr, J. Electrochem. Soc. 129 (1982) 1225.
- R. Alkire, S-A. Soon and M. Stadtherr, ibid.J. Electrochem. Soc. 0 132 (1985) 1105.
- C. King, in ‘Tutorial Lectures in Electrochemical Engineering and Technology’, (edited by R. Alkire and D. Chin), AIChE Symposium Ser. 229:79 (1983) 79.
- M. Krumpelt, E. Weissman and R. Alkire (Eds), ‘Electroorganic Synthesis Technology’, AIChE Symposium Ser. 185 (1979) 75.
- R. Plimley, J. Chem. Tech. Biotechnol. 30 (1980) 233.
- R. Alkire, R. La Roche, G. Cera and M. Stadtherr, J. Electrochem. Soc. 133 (1986) 290.
- R. La Roche, O. Araujo, R. Alkire and M. Stadtherr, ‘Computer aided process optimization for indirect electrosynthesis of 1,4-naphthoquinone’, submitted to J. Electrochem. Soc.
- R. Alkire and O. Araujo, J. Electrochem. Soc. 139 (1992) 737.
- R. Reid, J. Prausnitz and B. Poling. ‘The Properties of Gases and Liquids’, 4th edn. McGraw-Hill, New York (1987).
- C-C. Chen, H. Britt, J. Boston and L. Evans, AIChE J. 25 (1979) 820.
- C. Worsham, US Patent 3 247 084 (1966).
- L. Griffin, J. Clarke and C. Worsham, US Patent 3 329 593 (1967).
- T. Beck, R. Alkire, N. Weinberg, R. Ruggeri and M. Stadtherr, in ‘Techniques of Electroorganic Synthesis’, Vol. 3 (edited by N. Weinberg and B. Tilak), Willey-Interscience, New York (1982) p. 423.
- S. Swann, Jr. and R. Alkire, ‘Bibliography of Electroorganic Syntheses, 1801–1975’, The Electrochemical Society, Pennington, NJ (1980).
- D. Sankholkar and M. Sharma, Chem. Eng. Sci. 28 (1973) 49.
- J. Baiel, C. Savini, and J. Stanat, in ‘Encyclopedia of Chemical Processing and Design’, Vol. 30 (edited by J. McKetta and W. Cunningham), Marcel Dekker, New York (1989) p. 32.
- L. Evans, J. Boston, H. Britt, P. Gallier, P. Gupta, B. Joseph, V. Mahelec, E. Ng, W. Seider and H. Yagi, Comput. Chem. Eng. 3 (1979) 319.
- G. Cera, Ph.D thesis, Department of Chemical Engineering, University of Illinois, Urbana, IL (1983).
- H-S. Chen and M. Stadtherr, AIChE J. 31 (1985) 1843.
- , 0 31 (1985) 1857.
- , 0 31 (1985) 1868.
- D. Wagman, W. Evans, V. Parker, R. Schumm, I. Halow, S. Bailey, K. Churney and R. Nuttal, ‘The NBS Tables of Chemical Thermodynamic Properties: Selected Values for Inorganic and C1 and C2 Organic Substances in SI Units’, American Institute of Physics, New York (1982).
- R. Goldberg, ‘Compiled Thermodynamic Data Sources for Aqueous and Biochemical Systems: An Annotated Bibliography (1930–1983)’, NBS Special Publication 685, National Bureau of Standards, Gaithersburg, MD (1984).
- H. Renon and J. Prausnitz, AIChE J. 14 (1968) 135.
- D. Danley, ‘Emerging Opportunities for Electroorganic Processes’, Marcel Dekker, New York (1984).
- L. Biegler and J. Cuthrell, Comput. Chem. Eng. 9 (1985) 257.
- H-S. Chen and M. Stadtherr, 0 8 (1984) 229.
- Y-D. Lang and L. Biegler, 0 12 (1987) 143.
- Electrolytic process optimization by simultaneous-modular flowsheeting
Journal of Applied Electrochemistry
Volume 24, Issue 12 , pp 1206-1212
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors