Proving equivalence of different axiomatizations of free groups
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The equivalence problem of different non-classical equational axiomatizations of free groups due to Higman and Neumann, Neumann, and others, is discussed. It is shown that such problems can be done easily using a rewrite rule based theorem prover such as RRL by generating complete rewriting systems for these axiomatizations. Some of these complete rewriting systems are obtained after introducing new function symbols which do not appear in the original non-classical axiomatizations. It is, however, suspected that these equivalence problems can be a considerable challenge for theorem provers based on other paradigms, such as natural deduction, resolution (clausal as well as non-clausal), and connection graphs.
- Dershowitz, N., ‘Termination of rewriting’, J. Symbolic Computation 3, 69–116 (1987).
- Detlefs, D., and Forgaard, R., ‘A procedure for automatically proving the termination of a set of rewrite rules’, Proc. of the 1st Intl. Conf. on Rewriting Techniques and Applications (RTA-85). Dijon, France. Lecture Notes in Computer Science 202 (ed. Jouannaud), Springer Verlag, New York, pp. 255–270 (1985).
- Higman, G., and Neumann, B. H., ‘Groups as groupoids with one law’, Publ. Math. Debrecen. 2, 215–227 (1952).
- Kapur, D., and Sivakumar, G., ‘Experiments with and architecture of RRL, a Rewrite Rule Laboratory’, in. Proc. of An NSF workshop on the Rewrite Rule Laboratory, Sept. 1983, General Electric R & D Center Report 84GEN008, pp. 33–56 (1984).
- Kapur, D., and Zhang, H., ‘RRL: A Rewrite Rule Laboratory,’ Proc. of 9th International Conference on Automated Deduction (CADE-9), Argonne, Lecture Notes in Computer Science 310 (eds. Lusk and Overbeek), Springer Verlag, New York, 768–769 (1988).
- Kapur, D., and Zhang, H., RRL: A Rewrite Rule Laboratory — A User's Manual, General Electric R & D Center (June, 1987).
- Knuth, D., and Bendix, P., ‘Simple word problems in universal algebras,’ in: J. Leech (ed.) Computational Problems in Abstract Algebras, Pergamon Press (1970).
- Lescanne, P., ‘Term rewriting systems and algebra’, Proc. of 7th Intl. Conf. on Automated Deduction (CADE-7), Napa Valley, Calif., Lecture Notes in Computer Science 170 (ed. Shostak) Springer Verlag, New York, 166–174 (1984).
- Martin, U., Doing Algebra with REVE, Dept. of Computer Science, University of Manchester, Technical Report UMCS-86-10-4 (June, 1986).
- Neumann, B. H., ‘Another single law for groups,’ Bull. Austr. Math. Soc., 23, 81–102 (1981) as quoted in  above.
- Proving equivalence of different axiomatizations of free groups
Journal of Automated Reasoning
Volume 4, Issue 3 , pp 331-352
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Free groups
- equivalence problem
- Industry Sectors