On the completeness of SLDENF-resolution
- Michael Thielscher
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
SLDENF-resolution combines the negation-as-failure principle for logic programs involving negation, and SLDE-resolution for logic programs with an underlying equational theory. Recently, J. Shepherdson proved the soundness of this resolution principle wrt. an extended completion semantics. In this note, we investigate the particular problems of obtaining completeness which are caused by adding equational theories. As a concrete result we show to what extent the classical result for hierarchical and allowed nonequational programs can be generalized.
- Apt, K. R., Blair, H. A., and Walker, A.: Towards a theory of declarative knowledge, in J. Minker (ed.), Foundations of Deductive Databases an Logic Programming, Chapter 2, Morgan Kaufmann Publishers Inc., 1987, pp. 89–148.
- Apt, K. R., Bol, R. (1994) Logic programming and negation: a survey. J. Logic Programming 19/20: pp. 9-71
- Baader, F. and Siekmann, J. H.: Unification theory, in D. M. Gabbay, C. J. Hogger, and J. A. Robinson (eds), Handbook of Logic in Artificial Intelligence and Logic Programming, Oxford University Press, 1993.
- Clark, K. L. Negation as failure. In: Gallaire, H., Minker, J. eds. (1978) Logic and Data Bases. Plenum, New York, pp. 293-322
- Gallier, J. H., Raatz, S. (1989) Extending SLD-resolution to equational horn clauses using E-unification. J. Logic Programming 6: pp. 3-44
- Hölldobler, S.: Foundations of Equational Logic Programming, LNAI 353, Springer, 1989.
- Hölldobler, S., Thielscher, M. (1995) Computing change and specificity with equational logic programs. Ann. Mathematics and Artificial Intelligence 14: pp. 99-133
- Jaffar, J., Lassez, J.-L., and Lloyd, J.: Completeness of the negation as failure rule, in A. Bundy (ed.), Proc. Int. Joint Conf. on Artificial Intelligence (IJCAI), Karlsruhe, Germany, 1983, pp. 500–506.
- Jaffar, J., Lassez, J.-L., Maher, M. J. (1984) A theory of complete logic programs with equality. J. Logic Programming 1: pp. 211-223
- Jaffar, J., Maher, M. J. (1994) Constraint logic programming: a survey. J. Logic Programming 19/20: pp. 503-581
- Kunen, K. (1989) Signed data dependencies in logic programs. J. Logic Programming 7: pp. 231-246
- Lloyd, J. W.: Foundations of Logic Programming, Series Symbolic Computation, 2nd extended edition, Springer, 1987.
- Plotkin, G. (1972) Building in equational theories. Machine Intelligence 7: pp. 73-90
- Robinson, J. A.: A review of automatic theorem proving, in Annual Symposium in Applied Mathematics, American Mathematical Society, 1967, pp. 1–18.
- Sato, T. (1990) Completed logic programs and their consistency. J. Logic Programming 9: pp. 33-44
- Shepherdson, J. C. (1984) Negation as failure: a comparison of Clark's completed data base and Reiter's closed world assumption. J. Logic Programming 1: pp. 51-79
- Shepherdson, J. C. (1985) Negation as failure II. J. Logic Programming 3: pp. 185-202
- Shepherdson, J. C.: Negation in logic programming for general logic programs, in J. Minker (ed.), Foundations of Deductive Databases and Logic Programming, Chapter 1, Morgan Kaufmann Publishers Inc., 1987, pp. 19–88.
- Shepherdson, J. C. (1991) Correct answers to allowed programs and queries are ground. J. Logic Programming 11: pp. 359-362
- Shepherdson, J. C. (1992) SLDNF-resolution with equality. J. Automated Reasoning 8: pp. 297-306
- Siekmann, J. H.: Unification of commutative terms, in Proc. Int. Symp. on Symbolic and Algebraic Manipulation (EUROSAM), Marseille, France, June 1979, Springer LNCS 72, pp. 531–545.
- Siekmann, J. H. (1989) Unification theory. J. Symbolic Computation 7: pp. 207-274
- Stroetmann, K. (1993) A completeness result for SLDNF-resolution. J. Logic Programming 15: pp. 337-355
- On the completeness of SLDENF-resolution
Journal of Automated Reasoning
Volume 17, Issue 2 , pp 199-214
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- logic programming
- negation as failure
- unification theory
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. TH Darmstadt, FG Intellektik, Alexanderstraße 10, D-64283, Darmstadt, Germany