Automated proofs of Löb's theorem and Gödel's two incompletensess theorems
- Art Quaife
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The modal logic calculus K4, which represents important properties of the provability relation of Peano's Arithmetic, is formalized within the automated reasoning system ITP. Very high level automated proofs are then obtained of Löb's theorem, and of Gödel's two incompleteness theorems.
- Boolos, G., The Unprovability of Consistency, Cambridge: Cambridge University Press (1979).
- Boolos, G., and Jeffrey, R., Computability and Logic, Cambridge: Cambridge University Press (1980).
- Gödel, K., ‘On formally undecidable propositions of Principia Mathematica and related systems I,’ English translation in J. Van Heigenoort, From Frege to Gödel: a source book in mathematical logic, 1879–1931, Cambridge: Harvard University Press (1967).
- Hofstadter, D., Gödel, Escher and Bach: An Eternal Golden Braid, New York: Basic Books, 1979.
- Löb, M., ‘Solution of a problem of Leon Henken’, Journal of Symbolic Logic 20, 115–118 (1955).
- Lusk, E., and Overbeek, R., The Automated Reasoning System ITP, ANL-84-72, Argonne National Laboratory (1984).
- Mendelson, E., Introduction to Mathematical Logic, New York: D. Van Nostrand (1979).
- Shankar, N., Proof-Checking Metamathematics, Ph.D. Dissertation, University of Texas at Austin (1986).
- Smullyan, R., Forever Undecided, New York: Knopf (1987).
- Solovay, R., ‘Provability Interpretations of Modal Logic’, Israel Journal of Mathematics 25, 287–302 (1976).
- Tarski, A., ‘The Concept of Truth in Formalized Languages,” English translation in A. Tarski, Logic, Semantics, Metamathematics, Oxford: Clarendon Press (1956).
- Tarski, A., Mostwoski, A., and Robinson, R. M., Undecidable Theories, Amsterdam: North Holland Publishing Co. (1968).
- Automated proofs of Löb's theorem and Gödel's two incompletensess theorems
Journal of Automated Reasoning
Volume 4, Issue 2 , pp 219-231
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Automatic reasoning
- mechanical theorem proving
- Löb's theorem
- Gödel's theorem
- proof verification
- modal logic
- Industry Sectors
- Art Quaife (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Mathematics, University of California, 94720, Berkeley, CA, USA