Intra-and intercellular calcium waves in cultured human myometrium
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Intracellular calcium waves were observed in cultured human myometrium using confocal laser scanning microscopy in the epifluorescence mode. Intracellular calcium waves were observed following stimulation of the cells with 10 mU ml-1 oxytocin in physiological bathing solution, or following substitution of tetraethylammonium chloride for NaCl. Intracellular wave speeds were 18.9±8.2 μm s-1 in physiological bathing solution. Intracellular calcium waves were also observed in cells bathed in calcium-free solutions, with no significant differences in wave speeds. Calcium waves that crossed cell boundaries were also observed. Some intercellular calcium waves travelled large distances (>500 μm). Wave speeds for intercellular waves were 7.8±1.6 μm s-1. Attempts to use octanol to determine the contribution of gap junctions to intercellular calcium wave propagation were unsuccessful because of direct effects of 2 mm octanol on calcium oscillations. These data demonstrate that intra-and intercellular calcium waves are a means of tissue level communication in myometrium that is distinct from action potentials with regard to mechanisms of action, propagation speeds, responses to stimuli, and responses to inhibitors.
- Allbritton N. L. & Meyer T. (1993) Localized calcium spikes and propagating calcium waves. Cell Calcium 14, 691–7.
- Berridge M. J. (1993) Inositol trisphosphate and calcium signalling. Nature 361, 315–25. CrossRef
- Blatter L. A. & Wier W. G. (1992) Agonist-induced [Ca2+] i waves and Ca2+-induced Ca2+ release in mammalian vascular smooth muscle cells. Am. J. Physiol. 263, H576–86.
- Blanchard E. M., Smith G. L., Allen D. G. & Alpert N. R. (1990) The effects of 2,3-butanedione monoxime on initial heat, tension, and aequorin light output of ferret papillary muscles. Pflügers Arch. 416, 219–21.
- Boitano S., Dirksen E. R. & Sanderson M. J. (1992) Intercellular propagation of calcium waves mediated by inositol trisphosphate. Science 258, 292–5.
- Christ G. J., Moreno A. P., Melman A. & Spray D. C. (1992) Gap junction-mediated intercellular diffusion of Ca2+ in cultured human corporal smooth muscle cells. Am. J. Physiol. 263, C373–83.
- Clapham D. E. (1995) Calcium signaling. Cell 80, 259–68.
- Dupont G., Berridge M. J. & Goldbetter A. (1991) Signal-induced Ca2+ oscillations: properties of a model based on Ca2+-induced Ca2+ release. Cell Calcium 12, 73–83.
- Garfield R. E. (1984) Control of myometrial function in preterm versus term labor. Clin. Obstet. Gynecol. 27, 572–91.
- Huizinga J. D., Liu L. W. C., Blennerhassett M. G., Thunegerg L. & Molleman A. (1992) Intercellular communication in smooth muscle. Experientia 48, 932–41.
- Iino M., Yamazawa T., Miyashita Y., Endo M. & Kasai H. (1993) Critical intracellular Ca2+ concentration for all-or-none Ca2+ spiking in single smooth muscle cells. Embo J. 12, 5287–91.
- Kanmura Y., Missiaen L. & Casteels R. (1988) Properties of intracellular calcium stores. Br. J. Pharmacol. 95, 284–90.
- Lipp P. & Niggli E. (1993) Ratiometric confocal Ca2+-measurements with visible wavelength indicators in isolated cardiac myocytes. Cell Calcium 14, 359–72.
- Mahoney M. G., Slakey L. L., Hepler P. K. & Gross D. J. (1993) Independent modes of propagation of calcium waves in smooth muscle cells. J. Cell. Sci. 104, 1101–7.
- Marc S., Leiber D. & Harbon S. (1986) Carbachol and oxytocin stimulate the generation of inositol phosphates in the guinea pig myometrium. Fed. Euro. Biochem. Soc. 201, 9–14.
- Miller S. M., Garfield R. E. & Daniel E. E. (1989) Improved propagation in myometrium associated with gap junctions during parturition. Am. J. Physiol. 256, C130–41.
- Morgan J. M., Lynn S., Gillespie J. I. & Grennwell J. R. (1993) Measurements of intracellular Ca2+ in cultured human myometrial smooth muscle cells bathed in low Na+ solutions. Experimental Physiol. 78, 711–14.
- Nathanson M. H. & Burgstahler A. D. (1992) Coordination of hormone-induced calcium signals in isolated rat hepatocyte couplets: demonstration with confocal microscopy. Mol. Bio. Cell 3, 113–21.
- Nathanson M. H., Burgstahler A. D., Mennone A., Fallon M. B., Gonzalez C. B. & Saez J. C. (1995) Ca2+ waves are organized among hepatocytes in the intact organ. Am. J. Physiol. 269, G167–71.
- Phillippe M. (1994) Mechanisms of underlying phasic contractions of pregnant rat myometrium stimulated with aluminium fluoride. Am. J. Obstet. Gynecol. 170, 981–90.
- Robb-Gaspers L. D. & Thomas A. P. (1995) Coordination of Ca2+ signaling by intercellular propagation of Ca2+ waves in the intact liver. J. Biol. Chem. 270, 8102–7.
- Sakai N., Tabb T. & Garfield R. E. (1992) Studies of connexin 43 and cell-to-cell coupling in cultured human uterine smooth muscle. Am. J. Obstet. Gynecol. 167, 1267–77.
- Sanderson M. J., Charles A. C., Boitano S. & Dirksen E. R. (1994) Mechanisms and function of intercellular calcium signaling. Mol. Cell. Endocrinol. 98, 173–87.
- Somlyo A. P. & Himpens B. (1989) Cell calcium and its regulation in smooth muscle. FASEB J. 3, 2266–76.
- Spray D. C. & Bennett M. V. L. (1985) Physiology and pharmacology of gap junctions. Annu. Rev. Physiol. 47, 281–303.
- Thastrup O., Cullen P. J., Drobak B. K., Hanley M. R. & Dawson A. P. (1990) Thapsigargin, a tumor promotor, discharges intracellular Ca2+ stores by specific inhibition of the endoplasmic reticulum Ca2+ ATPase. Proc. Natl Acad. Sci. USA. 87, 2466–70.
- Thornton S., Gillespie J. I., Greenwell J. R. & Dunlop W. (1992) Mobilization of calcium by the brief application of oxytocin and prostaglandin E2 in single cultured human myometrial cells. Experimental Physiol. 77, 293–305.
- Verhoeff A., Garfield R. E., Ramondt J. & Wallenburg H. C. S. (1986) Electrical and mechanical uterine activity and gap junctions in estrogen-treated oophorectomized sheep. Am. J. Obstet. Gynecol. 155, 192–6.
- Young R. C. & Smith L. H. (1991) Characterization of sodium channels in cultured human uterine smooth muscle cells. Am. J. Obstet. Gynecol. 164, 175–81.
- Intra-and intercellular calcium waves in cultured human myometrium
Journal of Muscle Research & Cell Motility
Volume 17, Issue 3 , pp 349-355
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links