Thrombocytosis in dogs and cats: A retrospective study
- A. S. Hammer
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
A retrospective study was made of the clinical data in 118 dogs and 17 cats with thrombocytosis. The mean platelet count for dogs was 647 × 109/l and for cats was 767 × 109/l. There was no significant difference in platelet count based on species, age or sex. The most common disease categories associated with thrombocytosis were neoplasia (25%), gastrointestinal disorders (19%) and endocrine disorders (10%). The most common drug classes associated with thrombocytosis were corticosteroids and antineoplastic agents.
- Carbone PP, Bono V, Frei E, Brindley CO (1963) Clinical studies with vincristine. Blood 21:640–647.
- Davis WM, Ross A (1973) Thrombocytosis and thrombocythemia: the laboratory and clinical significance of an elevated platelet count. Am J Clin Pathol 59:243–247.
- Dawson AA, Ogston D (1969) Exercise-induced thrombocytosis. Acta Haematol 42:241–246.
- Glickman LT, Domanski LM, Maguire TG, Dubielzig RR, Churg A (1983) Mesothelioma in pet dogs associated with exposure of their owners to asbestos. Environ Res 32:305–313.
- Hammer AS, Couto GC, Getzy D, Bailey MQ (1990) Essential thrombocythemia in a cat. J Vet Intern Med 4:87–91.
- Iland HJ, Laszlo J, Case DC et al. (1987) Differentiation between essential thrombocythemia and polycythemia vera with marked thrombocytosis. Am J Hematol 25:191–201.
- Isbister JP, Pittiglio DH (1988) Hematologic aspects of infection and systemic disease. In: Isbister JP, Pittiglio (eds) Clinical hematology: a problem-oriented approach. Williams and Wilkins Baltimore, pp205–215.
- Jain NC (1986) In: Schalm's veterinary hematology, 4th edn. Lea and Febiger, Philadelphia, pp469–471.
- Levin J, Conley CL (1964) Thombocytosis associated with malignant disease. Arch Intern Med 114:497–500.
- Morowitz DA, Allen LW, Kirsner JB (1968) Thrombocytosis in chronic inflammatory bowel disease. Ann Intern Med 68:1013–1021.
- Murphy S (1983) Thrombocytosis and thrombocythemia. Clin Haematol 12:89–107.
- Nakano T, Fujii J, Tamura S, Hada T, Higashino K (1986) Thrombocytosis in patients with malignant pleural mesothelioma. Cancer 58:1699–1701.
- Ogston D, Dawson AA, Philip JF (1968) Methotrexate and the platelet count. Br J Cancer 22:244–249.
- Oleson LL, Thorshauge H (1988) Thrombocytosis in patients with malignant pleural mesothelioma. Cancer 62:1194–1196.
- Rees HM, Ecker EE (1923) An improved method for counting blood platelets. JAMA 80:621.
- Robertson JH, Crozier EH, Woodend BE (1970) The effect of vincristine on the platelet count in rats. Br J. Haematol 19:331–337.
- Silvis SE, Turkbas N, Swaim WR, Doscherholmen A (1969) Thrombocytosis: a clinical evaluation of 322 patients. Minn Med 52:1603–1607.
- Silvis SE, Turkbas N, Doscherholmen A (1970) Thrombocytosis in patients with lung cancer. JAMA 211:1852–1853.
- Tranum BL, Haut A (1974) Thombocytosis: platelet kinetics in neoplasia. J Lab Clin Med 84:615–619.
- Williams WJ (1990) Thrombocytosis. In: Williams WJ, Beutler E, Erslev AJ, Lichtman MA (eds), Hematology, 4th edn. McGraw-Hill, New York, pp1403–1406.
- Thrombocytosis in dogs and cats: A retrospective study
Comparative Haematology International
Volume 1, Issue 4 , pp 181-186
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- A. S. Hammer (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Veterinary Clinical Sciences, College of Veterinary Medicine, The Ohio State University, Columbus, Ohio, USA