Endophytic bacteria expressing β-glucuronidase cause false positives in transformation of Dioscorea species
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
False positive transformants obtained during plant transformation experiments on species of the monocotyledonous genus Dioscorea (yam) are described. The false positive results were found to be due to endophytic bacteria which exist within aseptically micropropagated shoot cultures and which express β-glucuronidase (GUS). The bacteria were isolated and identified as two species of Curtobacterium. The expression of GUS in these organisms was found to be induced by a variety of glucuronide substrates. The induction of GUS activity in the bacteria can be inhibited by chloramphenicol, tetracycline, ticarcillin and sodium azide. Implications of these results for use of the gus gene in plant transformation work are discussed.
- Ausubel, FM, Brent, R, Kingston, RE, Moore, DD, Seidmen, JG, Smith, JA, Struhl, K (1989) Short protocols in molecular biology. A compendium of methods from current protocols in molecular biology. John Wiley and Sons, New York
- Bradford, MM (1976) Anal. Biochem. 72: pp. 248-254
- Buehler, HJ, Katzman, PA, Doisy, PP, Doisy, EA (1949) Proc. Soc. Exptl. Biol. Med. 72: pp. 297-299
- Fishman, WH (1955) Adv. Enzymol. 16: pp. 361-409
- Hu, CY, Chee, PP, Chesney, RH, Zhou, JH, Miller, PD, O'Brien, WT (1990) Plant Cell Reports 9: pp. 1-5
- Jefferson, RA (1987) Plant Molec. Biol. Reporter 5: pp. 387-405
- Jefferson, RA, Burgess, SM, Hirsh, D (1986) Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA. 86: pp. 8447-8451
- Jefferson, RA, Kavanagh, TA, Bevan, MW (1987) EMBO J. 6: pp. 3901-3907
- Karunairatnam, MC, Levvy, GA (1951) Biochem. J. 49: pp. 210-215
- Komagata K and Suzuki KI (1986) Bergey's Manual of Systematic Bacteriology, Vol 2, P.H.A.Sneath., N.S. Mair, M.E.Sharp.and J.G.Holt, eds, pp 1313–1317.
- Leifert, C, Waites, WM, Nicholas, JR (1989) J. Appl. Bacteriol. 67: pp. 353-361
- Liang, W (1989) M.Phil. Dissertation. University of Cambridge, England
- Mantell, SH, Haque, SQ, Whitehall, AP (1978) J. Hort. Science 53: pp. 95-98
- Miller, IM, Reporter, M (1987) Plant, Cell and Environment 10: pp. 413-424
- Plegt, L, Bino, RJ (1989) Molec. Gen. Genet. 216: pp. 321-327
- Robinson, JJ, Blin, CW, Frank, PF (1952) J. Bacteriol. 64: pp. 719-723
- Tör M, Ainsworth CC and Mantell SH (1990a) Abstracts VIIth Int'l. Congr. Plant Tissue and Cell Culture. (Abs# A2-138), Amsterdam, June 24–29.
- Tor M, Mantell SH and Ainsworth CC (1990b) Abstracts VIIth Int'l. Congr. Plant Tissue and Cell Culture. (Abs # A2- 139), Amsterdam, June 24–29.
- Wenzler, HC, Mignery, GA, Fisher, LM, Park, WD (1989) Plant Molec. Biol. 12: pp. 41-50
- Endophytic bacteria expressing β-glucuronidase cause false positives in transformation of Dioscorea species
Plant Cell Reports
Volume 11, Issue 9 , pp 452-456
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- endophytic bacteria
- false positive transformants
- Industry Sectors