Simulated Annealing for noisy cost functions
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
We generalize a classical convergence result for the Simulated Annealing algorithm to a stochastic optimization context, i.e., to the case where cost function observations are disturbed by random noise. It is shown that for a certain class of noise distributions, the convergence assertion remains valid, provided that the standard deviation of the noise is reduced in the successive steps of cost function evaluation (e.g., by repeated observation) with a speed O(k -γ ), where γ is an arbitrary constant larger than one.
- Aarts, E. and Korst, J. (1990), Simulated Annealing and the Boltzmann Machine, Wiley.
- Bertsimas, D. and Tsitsiklis, J. Simulated Annealing, Statistical Science 8, pp. 10–15.
- BirnbaumZ. W. (1948), On Random Variables with Comparable Peakedness, Ann. Math. Statist. 19, 76–81.
- CatoniO. (1992), Rough Large Deviation Estimates for Simulated Annealing: Application to Exponential Schedules, Annals of Probability 20, 1109–1146.
- Gelfand, S. B. and Mitter, S. K. (1985), Analysis of Simulated Annealing for Optimization, Proc. 24th IEEE Conf. on Decision and Control, Ft. Lauderdale, pp. 779–786.
- HajekB. (1988), Cooling Schedules for Optimal Annealing, Math. of Operations Research 13, 311–329
- HorstH. and PardalosP.M. (Eds), (1995), Handbook of Global Optimization, Kluwer Academic Publishers, Dordrecht.
- KirkpatrickS., GelattJr., and VecchiM.P. (1983), Optimization by Simulated Annealing, Science 220, 671–680.
- LaarhovenP.J.M.van and AartsE.H.L. (1987), Simulated Annealing: Theory and Applications, Reidel, Dordrecht.
- Roenko, N. (1990), Simulated Annealing under Uncertainty, Technical Report, Inst. f. Operations Research, Univ. Zürich.
- Simulated Annealing for noisy cost functions
Journal of Global Optimization
Volume 8, Issue 1 , pp 1-13
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Simulated Annealing
- stochastic optimization
- noisy cost functions
- Industry Sectors