Structure and fine structure of the hypophyseal pars distalis in endigenous African species of the genus Tilapia
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The structure and fine structure of the pars distalis hypophyseos was examined in five species of Tilapia fishes (T. alcalica, T. grahami, T. leucosticta, T. zillii, T. nigra) which were collected from lakes of a wide range of salinities. The pars distalis in all the species is composed of 5 granulated (“secretory”) and 1 chromophobic cell types. The rostral pars distalis prolactin cells appear most numerous and active in the fresh water species and smaller and least active in the “soda” lake fish. The evidence from nuclear measurements suggests that the species adapted to hyposmotic media have compensated for the freshwater environment (and the subsequent need for greater prolactin secretion) by increasing the number of prolactin cells rather than by increasing the synthetic activity of individual cells.
In “soda” lake species which were acclimated to fresh water the prolactin cells are markedly hyperactive and degranulated when compared with any other group.
The ACTH cells appear more active in the “soda” lake species than in the fresh water groups, however, these cells are maximally active in “soda” lake fish acclimated to fresh water.
The rostral pars distalis stellate cells are described and discussed in relation to their possible involvement in the release of hormone from the pars distalis “secretory” cells.
The proximal pars distalis somatotrophs appear active in all the species investigated although they were maximally active in fresh water acclimated “soda” lake species. The structure of the proximal pars distalis gonadotrophs and thyrotrophs is variable both within the same animal and between the species but the variation is not consistent with environmental salinity parameters.
The means by which granules are released from the different cell types is discussed.
The work was supported by grants in aid of research from SRC (J.F.L), University of Nairobi (J. F. L. and M. H), NRC (J.F.L.), USPMS (AM 13795, J. N. B.), Munitarp Foundation (M. H.) and by a travel scholarship from the Royal Society (J.F.L.).
The paper is number 091 in the physiology of migration series.
- Abraham, M. (1971) The ultrastructure of the cell types and of the neurosecretory innervation in the pituitary of Mugil cephalus L. from fresh water, the sea, and a hypersaline lagoon. I. The rostral pars distalis. Gen. comp. Endocr. 17: pp. 334-350
- Ball, J. N. Prolactin (fish prolactin or paralactin) and growth hormone. In: Hoar, W. S., Randall, D. J. eds. (1969) Fish Physiology. Academic Press, New York
- Ball, J. N., Baker, B. The pituitary gland: Anatomy and histophysiology. In: Hoar, W. S., Randall, D. J. eds. (1969) Fish Physiology. Academic Press, New York
- Barnes, B. G.: Comparative cytology of the anterior pituitary of the male and female mouse. Eur. Reg. Conf. Electron Micr., Delft (1960)
- Bloom, W., Fawcett, D. W. (1968) A Textbook of Histology. W. B. Saunders, Philadelphia-London-Toronto
- Chartier, M. M. (1959) Influence de l'hormone somatotrope sur les teneurs en eau et en électrolytes du plasma et du muscle de la truite arcen-ciel (Salmo gairdnerii). C. R. Soc. Biol. (Paris) 153: pp. 1757-1761
- Chester Jones, I., Chan, D.K.O., Henderson, I. W., Ball, J. N. The adrenocortical steroids, adrenocorticotropin and the corpuscles of Stannius. In: Hoar, W. S., Randall, D. J. eds. (1969) Fish Physiology. Academic Press, New York-London
- Clark, W. C. (1973) Disc-electrophoretic identification of prolactin in the cichlid teleosts Tilapia and Cichlasoma and densitometric measurement of its concentration in Tilapia pituitaries during salinity transfer experiments. Canad. J. Zool 51: pp. 687-695
- Cook, H., Overbeeke, A. P. (1972) Ultrastructure of the pituitary gland (pars distalis) in sockeye salmon (Oncorhynchus nerka) during gonad maturation. Z. Zellforsch. 130: pp. 338-350
- Dharmamba, M. (1970) Studies on the effects of hypophysectomy and prolactin on plasma osmolarity and plasma sodium in Tilapia mossambica. Gen. comp. Endocr. 14: pp. 256-269
- Dharmamba, M., Handin, R. I., Nandi, J., Bern, H.A. (1967) Effect of prolactin on freshwater survival and on plasma osmotic pressure of hypophysectomized Tilapia mossambica. Gen. comp. Endocr. 9: pp. 295-302
- Dharmamba, M., Maetz, J. (1971) Effects of hypophysectomy and prolactin on the sodium balance of Tilapia mossambica in fresh water. Gen. comp. Endocr. 19: pp. 175-183
- Dharmamba, M., Mayer-Gostan, N., Maetz, J., Bern, H. A. (1973) Effect of prolactin on sodium movement in Tilapia mossambica adapted to sea water. Gen. comp. Endocr. 21: pp. 179-187
- Dharmamba, M., Nishioka, R. S. (1968) Response of “prolactin-secreting” cells of Tilapia mossambica to environmental salinity. Gen. comp. Endocr. 10: pp. 409-420
- Ensor, D. M., Ball, J. N. (1972) Prolactin and osmoregulation in fishes. Fed. Proc. 31: pp. 1615-1623
- Fawcett, D. W. (1969) The Cell. Its Organelles and Inclusions. W. B. Saunders, Philadelphia-London
- Holtzman, S., Schreibman, M. P. (1972) Morphological changes in the “prolactin” cell of the freshwater teleost, Xiphophorus hellerii, in salt water. J. exp. Zool. 180: pp. 187-196
- Hopkins, C. R. (1969) The fine structural localization of acid phosphatase in the prolactin cell of the teleost pituitary following the stimulation and inhibition of secretory activity. Tiss. and Cell 1: pp. 653-671
- Hopkins, C. R., Baker, B. I. (1968) The fine structural localization of acid phosphate in the prolactin cell of the eel pituitary. J. Cell Sci. 3: pp. 357-364
- Lam, T. J. (1972) Prolactin and hydromineral regulation in fishes. Gen. comp. Endocr 3: pp. 328-338
- Leatherland, J. F. (1970) Seasonal variation in the structure und ultrastructure of the pituitary in the marine form (trachurus) of the threespine stickleback. Gasterosteus aculeatus L. I. Rostral pars distalis. Z. Zellforsch. 104: pp. 301-317
- Leatherland, J. F. (1972) Histophysiology and innervation of the pituitary gland of the goldfish,, Carassius auratus L.: A light and electron microscope investigation. Canad. J. Zool. 50: pp. 835-844
- Leatherland, J. F., Hyder, M., Ensor, D. M.: Regulation of plasma Na+ and K+ concentrations in five African species of Tilapia fishes. Comp. Biochem. Physiol., in press (1974)
- Leatherland, J. F., McKeown, B. A.: Effect of ambient salinity on prolactin and growth hormone secretion and on hydro-mineral regulation in kokanee salmon smolts (Oncorhynchus nerka). J. comp. Physiol., in press (1974)
- Leatherland, J. F., McKeown, B. A., John, T. M. (1974) Circadian rhythm of plasma prolactin, growth hormone, glucose and free fatty acid in juvenile kokanee salmon, Oncorhynchus nerka. Comp. Biochem. Physiol 47 A: pp. 821-828
- Nagahama, Y., Nishioka, R. S., Bern, H. A. (1973) Responses of prolactin cells of two euryhaline marine fishes, Gillichthys mirabilis and Platichthys stellatus to environmental salinity. Z. Zellforsch. 136: pp. 153-168
- Nagahama, Y., Yamamoto, K. (1969) Basophils in the adenohypophysis of the goldfish (Carassius auratus). Gumma Sym. Endocr. 6: pp. 39-55
- Nagahama, Y., Yamamoto, K. (1970) Morphological studies on the pituitary of the chum salmon, Oncorhynchus keta (1). Fine structure of the adenohypophysis. Bull. Fac. Fish. Hokkaido Univ. 20: pp. 293-302
- Nicholl, C. S. (1972) Some observations and speculation on the mechanism of “depletion”, “repletion”, and release of adenohypophyseal hormones. Gen. comp. Endocr. 3: pp. 86-96
- Öztan, N. (1966) The fine structure of the adenohypophysis of Zoarces viviparous L. Z. Zellforach. 69: pp. 699-718
- Olivereau, M., Ball, J. N. (1970) Pituitary influences on osmoregulation in teleosts. Mem. Soc. Endocr. 18: pp. 57-85
- Pandey, S., Leatherland, J. F. (1970) Comparison of the effects of methallibure and thiourea on the testis, thyroid and adenohypophysis of the adult and juvenile guppy, Poecilia reticulata Peters. Canad. J. Zool. 48: pp. 445-450
- Pang, P.K.T. (1973) Endocrine control of calcium metabolism in teleosts. Amer. Zool. 73: pp. 775-792
- Percy, R.: Structure and fine structure of the pituitary gland in the sea lamprey (Petromyzon marinus). M. Sc. Thesis, University of Guelph (1973)
- Percy, R., Leatherland, J. F. (1972) Fine structure of the pituitary gland in larval sea lampreys (Petromyzon marinus L.). J. Endocr. 59: pp. XL-XLI
- Steel, R.G.D., Torrie, J. M. (1960) Principles and Procedures of Statistics. Mc Graw Hill, New York
- Vila-Porcile, E. (1972) Le réseau des cellules folliculo-stellaires et les follicules de l'adénohypophyse du rat (pars distalis). Z. Zellforsch. 129: pp. 328-369
- Weiss, M. (1965) The release of pituitary secretion in the platyfish Xiphophorus maculatus (Guenther). Z. Zellforsch. 68: pp. 783-794
- Structure and fine structure of the hypophyseal pars distalis in endigenous African species of the genus Tilapia
Cell and Tissue Research
Volume 149, Issue 2 , pp 245-266
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Cell types
- Light- and electron microscopy
- Teleost fish
- Industry Sectors