Inheritance and mechanism of resistance to herbicides inhibiting acetolactate synthase in Sonchus oleraceus L.
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
A biotype of Sonchus oleraceus L. (Compositae) has developed resistance to herbicides inhibiting acetolactate synthase (ALS) following field selection with chlorsulfuron for 8 consecutive years. The aim of this study was to determine the inheritance and mechanism of resistance in this biotype. Determination of ALS activity and inhibition kinetics revealed that Km and Vmax did not vary greatly between the resistant and susceptible biotypes. ALS extracted from the resistant biotype was resistant to five ALS-inhibiting herbicides in an in vitro assay. ALS activity from the resistant biotype was 14 19, 2, 3 and 3 times more resistant to inhibition by chlorsulfuron, sulfometuron, imazethapyr, imazapyr and flumetsulam, respectively, than the susceptible biotype. Hybrids between the resistant and a susceptible biotype were produced, and inheritance was followed through the F1, F2 and F3 generations. F1 hybrids displayed a uniform intermediate level of resistance between resistant and susceptible parents. Three distinct phenotypes, resistant, intermediate and susceptible, were identified in the F2 generation following chlorsulfuron application. A segregation ratio of 1∶2∶1 was observed, indicative of the action of a single, nuclear, incompletely dominant gene. F3 families, derived from intermediate F2 individuals, segregated in a similar manner. Resistance to herbicides inhibiting ALS in this biotype of S. oleraceus is due to the effect of a single gene coding for a resistant form of the target enzyme, ALS.
- Boutsalis P, Powles SB (1994) Resistance of dicot weeds to acetolactate synthase (ALS)-inhibiting herbicides in Australia. Weed Res (in press)
- Bradford MM (1976) A rapid and sensitive method for the quantitation of microgram quantities of protein utilizing the principle of protein-dye binding. Anal Biochem 72:248–254 CrossRef
- Caretto S, Giardina MC, Nicololdi C, Mariotti D (1994) Chlorsulfuron resistance in Daucus carota cell lines and plants: involvement of gene amplification. Theor Appl Genet 88:520–524
- Christopher JT, Powles SB, Liljegren DR, Holtum JAM (1991) Cross-resistance to herbicides in annual ryegrass (Lolium rigidum). Plant Physiol 95:1036–1043
- Christopher JT, Powles SB, Holtum JAM (1992) Resistance to acetolactate synthase inhibiting herbicides in annual ryegrass (Lolium rigidum) involves at least two mechanisms. Plant Physiol 100:1909–1913
- Christopher JT, Preston C, Powles SB (1994) Malathion antagonises metabolism-based chlorsulfuron resistance in Lolium rigidum. Pestic Biochem Physiol 49:172–182
- Cotterman JC, Saari LL (1992) Rapid metabolic inactivation is the basis for cross-resistance to chlorsulfuron in diclofop-methyl-resistant rigid ryegrass (Lolium rigidum) biotype SR4/84. Pestic Biochem Physiol 43:182–192
- Devine MD, Marles MAS, Hall LM (1991) Inhibition of acetolactate synthase in susceptible and resistant biotypes of Stellaria media. Pestic Sci 31:273–280
- Falco SC, Dumas KM (1985) Genetic analysis of mutants of Saccharomyces cerevisiae resistant to the herbicide sulfometuron methyl. Genetics 109:21–35
- Fisher RA (1970) Statistical methods for research workers. Oliver and Boyd, Edinburgh, pp 78–113
- Hall LM, Devine MD (1990) Cross-resistance of a chlorsulfuron-resistant biotype of Stellaria media to a triazolopyrimidine herbicide. Plant Physiol 93:962–966
- Harnett ME, Newcomb JR, Hodson RC (1987) Mutations in Chlamydomonas reinhardtii conferring resistance to the herbicide sulfometuron methyl. Plant Physiol 85:898–901
- Haughn GW, Somerville CR (1986) Sulfonylurea-resistant mutants of Arabidopsis thaliana. Mol Gen Genet 204:430–434
- LaRossa RA, Van Dyk TK, Smulski DR (1987) Toxic accumulation of alpha-ketobutyrate caused by inhibition of the branched-chain amino acid biosynthetic enzyme acetolactate synthase in Salmonella typhimurium. J Bacteriol 169:1372–1378
- Lewin RA (1948) Biological flora of the British Isles. Sonchus L. (Sonchus oleraceus L. and S. asper (L.) Hill). J Ecol 36:203–223
- Mallory-Smith CA, Thill DC, Dial MJ (1990a) Identification of sulfonylurea herbicide-resistant prickly lettuce (Lactuca serriola). Weed Technol 1:163–168
- Mallory-Smith CA, Thill DC, Dial MJ, Zemetra RS (1990b) Inheritance of sulfonylurea herbicide resistance in Lactuca spp. Weed Technol 4:787–790
- Matthews JM, Holtum JAM, Liljegren DR, Furness B, Powles SB (1990) Cross-resistance to herbicides in annual ryegrass (Lolium rigidum). I. Properties of the herbicide target enzymes acetyl-coenzyme A carboxylase and acetolactate synthase. Plant Physiol 94:1180–1186
- Mourad G, Pandey B, King J (1993) Isolation and genetic analysis of a triazolopyrimidine-resistant mutant of Arabidopsis. J Hered 84:91–96
- Powles SB, Holtum JAM (1994) Herbicide resistance in plants: biology and biochemistry. Lewis Publishers, Boca Raton, Fla.
- Ray TB (1984) Site of action of chlorsulfuron. Inhibition of valine and isoleucine biosynthesis in plants. Plant Physiol 75:827–831
- Saari L, Cotterman JC, Primiani MM (1990) Mechanism of sulfonylurea herbicide resistance in the broadleaf weed, Kochia scoparia. Plant Physiol 93:55–61
- Saari LL, Cotterman JC, Smith WF, Primiani MM (1992) Sulfonylurea herbicide resistance in common chickweed, perennial ryegrass and Russian thistle. Pestic Biochem Physiol 42:110–118
- Saari LL, Cotterman JC, Thill DC (1994) Resistance to acetolactate synthase inhibiting herbicides. In: Powles SB, Holtum JAM (eds) Herbicide resistance in plants: biology and biochemistry. Lewis Publishers, Boca Raton, Fla., pp 83–140
- Salisbury EDI (1942) The reproductive capacity of plants. G. Bell, London
- Singh BK, Stidham MA, Shaner DL (1988) Separation and characterisation of two forms of acetohydroxy acid synthase from black Mexican sweet corn cells. J Chromatogr 444:251–261
- Tsun-Shih H, Schooler AB, Bell A, Nalewaja JD (1972) Cytotaxonomy of three Sonchus species. Am J Bot 59:789–796
- Westerfield WW (1945) A colorimetric determination of blood acetoin. J Biol Chem 161:495–502
- Inheritance and mechanism of resistance to herbicides inhibiting acetolactate synthase in Sonchus oleraceus L.
Theoretical and Applied Genetics
Volume 91, Issue 2 , pp 242-247
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Sonchus oleraceus L.
- Acetolactate synthase
- Herbicide resistance
- Industry Sectors