Measurement of turbulent wall velocity gradients using cylindrical waves of laser light
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
A new optical instrument has been developed for direct measurement of instantaneous velocity gradients at the bounding wall. Light emerging from two tiny optical slits in the surface is used to form a “fan of fringes” in the region very near the wall. Doppler frequency of the light scattered by the seed particles is directly proportional to the velocity gradient. The system has been used to measure the statistics of the streamwise and spanwise velocity gradients in a turbulent boundary layer. The streamwise and spanwise rms fluctuations were found to be 38% and 11% of the mean streamwise value respectively. The latter result is subject to a large uncertainty.
- Alfredsson, P. H.; Johansson, A. V.; Haritonidis, J. H.; Eckelmann, H. 1988: On the fluctuating wall shear stress and the velocity field in the viscous sublayer. Phys. Fluids 31, 1026–1033
- Chapman, D. R.; Kuhn, G D. 1985: Navier-Stokes computation of viscous sublayer flow and the limiting behavior of turbulence near a wall. AIAA 7th Computational Fluid Dynamics Conference, Cincinnati, Ohio
- Coles, D. 1957: The law of the wake in turbulent boundary layer. J. Fluid Mech. 2, 191–226
- Coles, D. 1962: The turbulent boundary layer in a compressible fluid. RAND Corp., Rep. R-403-PR
- Coles, D. 1978: A model for flow in the viscous sublayer. Proc. of the Workshop on Coherent Structure of Turbulent Boundary Layers. Lehigh University, Bethlehem, PA, 462–468
- Durst, F.; Melling, A.; Whitelaw, J. H. 1976: Principles and practice of laser-Doppler anemometry. Academic Press
- Eckelmann, H. 1974: The structure of the viscous sublayer and the adjacent wall region in a turbulent channel flow. J. Fluid Mech. 65, 439–459
- Jayaraman, R.; Parikh, P.; Reynolds, W. C. 1982: An experimental study of the dynamics of an unsteady, turbulent boundary layer. Report TF-18, Dept. Mech. Engng. Stanford University, Calif.
- Jenkins, F. A.; White, H. E. 1957: Fundamentals of Optics. Mc-Graw-Hill Inc.
- Kim, H. T.; Kline, S. J.; Reynolds, W. C. 1971: The production of turbulence near a smooth wall in a turbulent boundary layer. J. Fluid Mech. 50, 133–160
- Kim, J.; Moin P.; Moser, R. 1987: Turbulence statistics in fully developed channel flow at low Reynolds number. J. Fluid Mech. 177, 133–166
- Klebanoff, P. S. 1954: Characteristics of turbulence in a boundary layer with zero pressure gradient. NACA TN 3178
- Kline, S. J.; Reynolds, W. C.; Schraub, F. A.; Runstadler, P. W. 1967: The structure of turbulent boundary layers.J. Fluid Mech. 30, 741–773
- Kreplin, H.; Eckelmann, H. 1979: Behavior of the three fluctuating velocity components in the wall region of a turbulent channel flow. Phys. Fluids. 22, 1233–1239
- Laufer, J. 1953: The structure of turbulence in fully developed pipe flow. NACA TN 2954
- Ludwieg, H.; Tillmann, W. 1949: Investigation of the wall shearing stress in turbulent boundary layers. NACA TM 1285
- Mitchell, J. E.; Hanratty, T. J. 1966: A study of turbulence at a wall using an electrochemical wall shear-stress meter. J. Fluid Mech. 26, 199–221
- Naqwi, A. A.; Reynolds, W. C. 1987: Dual cylindrical wave laser Doppler method for measurement of skin friction in fluid flow. Report TF-28, Dept. Mech. Engng. Stanford Univ., Stanford, Calif.
- Py, B. 1973: Étude tridimensionelle de la sous-couche visqueuse dans une veine rectangulaire par des mesures de transfert de matiére en paroi. Int. J. Heat Mass Transfer 16, 129–143
- Sirkar, K. K.; Hanratty, T. J. 1970: The limiting behavior of the turbulent transverse velocity component close to a wall. J. Fluid Mech., 44, 605–614
- Measurement of turbulent wall velocity gradients using cylindrical waves of laser light
Experiments in Fluids
Volume 10, Issue 5 , pp 257-266
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors