Failure of spring turnover in Onondaga Lake, NY, U.S.A.
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Onondaga Lake, N.Y., failed to turnover in the spring of 1986 because of the strong chemical stratification under the ice that developed as a result of ionic discharges from an alkali plant. This stratification had a negative impact on the O2 resources of the lake, as the lower depleted layers of the lake were not replenished with O2. Anoxia and anaerobiesis in the bottom water expanded following ‘ice-out’. Comparison of characteristics observed for the winter through spring interval of 1986 with historic data indicates Onandaga Lake has failed to experience spring turnover in a number of years (approximately 7 of the last 18 yr) because of the ionic discharges from the alkali plant.
- American Public Health Association: 1982,Standard Methods for the Examination of Water and Wastewater, 14th ed. Washington, D.C.
- Effler, S. W., Owens, E. M. (1986) Water, Air, and Soil Pollut. 28: pp. 105
- Efller, S. W., Owens, E. M., Schimel, K. A. (1986) Water, Air, and Soil Pollut. 27: pp. 247
- Effler, S. W., Perkins, M. G., and Brooks, C. M.: 1986b,Water, Air, and Soil Pollut. (in press).
- Effler, S. W., Schimel, K., Millero, F. J. (1986) Water, Air, and Soil Pollut. 27: pp. 169
- Hutchinson, G. E. (1941) Ecol. Monogr. 11: pp. 21-60
- Hutchinson, G. E. (1957) A Treatise on Limnology. ‘Geography, Physics and Chemistry’. John Wiley and Sons, Inc., New York, NY
- Litten, S., Effler, S. W., and Meyer, M.: 1980,Development of a Simple Means for Predicting Algal Blooms, Report to the Office of Water Research and Training, Ithaca, New York.
- Onondaga Lake Monitoring Program. Annual Publication, pOnondaga County, New York
- Rand, M. C.: ‘Section 10-Chemical Considerations’, inOnondaga Lake Study, Water Pollution Control Research Series, Report 11060.
- Stewart, K. M. (1979) Book Review of: Lakes of New York State, Am. Scient. 67: pp. 480
- Stewart, K. M., Stewart, W. A. (1983) Arch. Hydrobiol. 98: pp. 250-264
- Wetzel, R. G. (1983) Limnology. Sounders College Publishing, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
- Failure of spring turnover in Onondaga Lake, NY, U.S.A.
Water, Air, and Soil Pollution
Volume 34, Issue 3 , pp 285-291
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors