The temperature variations in the troposphere, stratosphere, and mesosphere of the Northern Hemisphere, 1965–1981
- C. Varotsos
- … show all 1 hide
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
We have used temperature data obtained from radiosondes and rocketsondes for the time interval 1965–1981 to estimate the interconnection of mean-annual temperature fluctuations at the various layers from the surface to the lower mesosphere of the Northern Hemisphere. Profiles of coefficients of correlation of the mean-annual temperature at each layer with mean-annual temperature at higher layers are shown for locations in the low, middle, and high latitudes. It is suggested that the mean-annual temperature variations at high latitudes of the troposphere are related with mean-annual temperature variations of the high latitudes of the lower stratosphere. Also, the mean-annual temperature variations at the high latitudes of the lower stratosphere are connected with mean-annual temperature variations at the high latitudes of the upper stratosphere. Furthermore, the mean-annual temperature variations of the upper stratosphere have an impressive correlation with mean-annual temperature variations of the lower mesosphere for whole northern hemisphere.
- Angell, J. K. and Korshover, J.: 1983, Global Temperature Variations in the Troposphere and Stratosphere 1958–1982, Mon. Weather Rev. 5, 901–921.
- Barnett, J. J.: 1974, The Mean Meridional Temperature Behaviour of the Stratosphere from November 1970 to November 1971 derived from Measurements by Sellective Chopper Radiometer on Nimbus IV, Q.J. Roy. Meteorol. Soc. 100, 505–5300.
- Jonson, K. W. and Gelman, M. E.: 1984, ‘Trends in the Upper Stratospheric Temperatures as Observed by Rocketsonds (1965–1983)’, Proc. MAP Symposium, Kyoto, Japan.
- Labitzke, K.: 1983, A Survey over the PMR-I Winters 1978/79–1981/82 in Comparison with Earlier Winters, Adv. Space Res. 2, 149–157.
- Labitzke, K.: 1977, Comparison of the Stratospheric Temperature Distribution over Northern and Southern Hemispheres, COSPAR Space Res. XVII, 159–165.
- Labitzke, K. and Naujokat, B.: 1983, On the Variability and on Trends of the Temperature in the Middle Stratosphere, Contributions ot Atmospheric Phys. 56, 495–507.
- Quiroz, R. S.: 1979, Stratospheric Temperatures during Solar Cycle 20, J. Geoph. Res. 84, 2415–2420.
- Varotsos, C.: 1984, Temperature and Wind Fields in the Stratosphere and Lower Mesosphere, Ph.D. Thesis, University of Thessaloniki, Greece (in Greek).
- Varotsos, C. and Repapis, C. C.: 1986, Seasonal Variation of Upper Stratospheric and Lower Mesospheric Temperature, Arch. Mat. Geoph. Biocl. Ser. B36, 229–238.
- Zerefos, C. S.: 1983, Long-term Stratospheric Temperature Fluctuations and Solar Activity, Arch. Met. Geoph. Biocl. Ser. B32, 77–87.
- The temperature variations in the troposphere, stratosphere, and mesosphere of the Northern Hemisphere, 1965–1981
Earth, Moon, and Planets
Volume 40, Issue 3 , pp 315-317
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- C. Varotsos (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Hellenic Naval Academy, Piraeus, Greece