The temperature variations in the troposphere, stratosphere, and mesosphere of the Northern Hemisphere, 1965–1981
- C. Varotsos
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
We have used temperature data obtained from radiosondes and rocketsondes for the time interval 1965–1981 to estimate the interconnection of mean-annual temperature fluctuations at the various layers from the surface to the lower mesosphere of the Northern Hemisphere. Profiles of coefficients of correlation of the mean-annual temperature at each layer with mean-annual temperature at higher layers are shown for locations in the low, middle, and high latitudes. It is suggested that the mean-annual temperature variations at high latitudes of the troposphere are related with mean-annual temperature variations of the high latitudes of the lower stratosphere. Also, the mean-annual temperature variations at the high latitudes of the lower stratosphere are connected with mean-annual temperature variations at the high latitudes of the upper stratosphere. Furthermore, the mean-annual temperature variations of the upper stratosphere have an impressive correlation with mean-annual temperature variations of the lower mesosphere for whole northern hemisphere.
- Angell, J. K. and Korshover, J.: 1983, Global Temperature Variations in the Troposphere and Stratosphere 1958–1982, Mon. Weather Rev. 5, 901–921.
- Barnett, J. J.: 1974, The Mean Meridional Temperature Behaviour of the Stratosphere from November 1970 to November 1971 derived from Measurements by Sellective Chopper Radiometer on Nimbus IV, Q.J. Roy. Meteorol. Soc. 100, 505–5300.
- Jonson, K. W. and Gelman, M. E.: 1984, ‘Trends in the Upper Stratospheric Temperatures as Observed by Rocketsonds (1965–1983)’, Proc. MAP Symposium, Kyoto, Japan.
- Labitzke, K.: 1983, A Survey over the PMR-I Winters 1978/79–1981/82 in Comparison with Earlier Winters, Adv. Space Res. 2, 149–157.
- Labitzke, K.: 1977, Comparison of the Stratospheric Temperature Distribution over Northern and Southern Hemispheres, COSPAR Space Res. XVII, 159–165.
- Labitzke, K. and Naujokat, B.: 1983, On the Variability and on Trends of the Temperature in the Middle Stratosphere, Contributions ot Atmospheric Phys. 56, 495–507.
- Quiroz, R. S.: 1979, Stratospheric Temperatures during Solar Cycle 20, J. Geoph. Res. 84, 2415–2420.
- Varotsos, C.: 1984, Temperature and Wind Fields in the Stratosphere and Lower Mesosphere, Ph.D. Thesis, University of Thessaloniki, Greece (in Greek).
- Varotsos, C. and Repapis, C. C.: 1986, Seasonal Variation of Upper Stratospheric and Lower Mesospheric Temperature, Arch. Mat. Geoph. Biocl. Ser. B36, 229–238.
- Zerefos, C. S.: 1983, Long-term Stratospheric Temperature Fluctuations and Solar Activity, Arch. Met. Geoph. Biocl. Ser. B32, 77–87.
- The temperature variations in the troposphere, stratosphere, and mesosphere of the Northern Hemisphere, 1965–1981
Earth, Moon, and Planets
Volume 40, Issue 3 , pp 315-317
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- C. Varotsos (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Hellenic Naval Academy, Piraeus, Greece