The impulsive X-ray burst of October 10, 1970
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
An impulsive burst of 100–400 keV solar X-rays associated with a small solar flare was observed on October 10, 1970 with a large area scintillator aboard a balloon floating at an altitude of 4.2 g cm-2 above the Earth's surface. The X-ray burst was also observed simultaneously in 10–80 keV range by the OGO-5 satellite and in 8–20 Å range by the SOLRAD-9 satellite. The impulsive X-ray emission reached its maximum at ∼ 1643 UT at which time the differential photon spectrum in 20–80 keV range was of the form 2.3 × 104 E -3.2 photons cm-2 s-1 keV-1 at 1 AU. The event is attributed to a Hα-subflare located approximately at S13, E88 on the solar disc. The spectral characteristics of this event are examined in the light of the earlier X-ray observations of small solar flares.
- Anderson, K. A., Winckler, J. R. (1962) J. Geophys. Res. 67: pp. 4103
- Dodson, H. W.: 1971, private communication.
- Evans, R. D. (1955) The Atomic Nucleus. McGraw-Hill, New York
- Frost, K. J. (1969) Astrophys. J. 158: pp. L159
- Frost, K. J., Dennis, B. R. (1971) Astrophys. J. 165: pp. 655
- Geophysics and Space Data Bulletin: 1970, Air Force Cambridge Res. Lab., Bedford, Mass.
- Kane, S. R. (1969) Astrophys. J. 157: pp. L139
- Kane, S. R. (1971) Astrophys. J. 170: pp. 587
- Kane, S. R., Anderson, K. A. (1970) Astrophys. J. 162: pp. 1003
- Kane, S. R., Hudson, H. S. (1970) Solar Phys. 14: pp. 414
- Kreplin, R. W., Horan, D. M. (1969) NRL Report 6800. Naval Res. Lab., Washington, D.C.
- Kurfess, J. D. (1971) Astrophys. J. 168: pp. L39
- Makino, F. (1970) Astrophys. Space Sci. 8: pp. 251
- Parks, G. K., Winckler, J. R. (1971) Solar Phys. 16: pp. 186
- Peterson, L. E., Winckler, J. R. (1959) J. Geophys. Res. 64: pp. 697
- Solar-Geophysical Data: 1970, U.S. Dept. of Commerce, Washington, D.C.
- Teske, R. G. (1969) Solar Phys. 6: pp. 193
- Thomas, R. J., Teske, R. G. (1971) Solar Phys. 16: pp. 431
- The impulsive X-ray burst of October 10, 1970
Volume 25, Issue 2 , pp 418-424
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links