The impulsive X-ray burst of October 10, 1970
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
An impulsive burst of 100–400 keV solar X-rays associated with a small solar flare was observed on October 10, 1970 with a large area scintillator aboard a balloon floating at an altitude of 4.2 g cm-2 above the Earth's surface. The X-ray burst was also observed simultaneously in 10–80 keV range by the OGO-5 satellite and in 8–20 Å range by the SOLRAD-9 satellite. The impulsive X-ray emission reached its maximum at ∼ 1643 UT at which time the differential photon spectrum in 20–80 keV range was of the form 2.3 × 104 E -3.2 photons cm-2 s-1 keV-1 at 1 AU. The event is attributed to a Hα-subflare located approximately at S13, E88 on the solar disc. The spectral characteristics of this event are examined in the light of the earlier X-ray observations of small solar flares.
- Anderson, K. A. and Winckler, J. R.: 1962, J. Geophys. Res. 67, 4103.
- Dodson, H. W.: 1971, private communication.
- Evans, R. D.: 1955, The Atomic Nucleus, Chap. 25, McGraw-Hill, New York.
- Frost, K. J.: 1969, Astrophys. J. 158, L159.
- Frost, K. J. and Dennis, B. R.: 1971, Astrophys. J. 165, 655.
- Geophysics and Space Data Bulletin: 1970, Air Force Cambridge Res. Lab., Bedford, Mass.
- Kane, S. R.: 1969, Astrophys. J. 157, L139.
- Kane, S. R.: 1971, Astrophys. J. 170, 587.
- Kane, S. R. and Anderson, K. A.: 1970, Astrophys. J. 162, 1003.
- Kane, S. R. and Hudson, H. S.: 1970, Solar Phys. 14, 414.
- Kreplin, R. W. and Horan, D. M.: 1969, NRL Report 6800, Naval Res. Lab., Washington, D.C.
- Kurfess, J. D.: 1971, Astrophys. J. 168, L39.
- Makino, F.: 1970, Astrophys. Space Sci. 8, 251.
- Parks, G. K. and Winckler, J. R.: 1971, Solar Phys. 16, 186.
- Peterson, L. E. and Winckler, J. R.: 1959, J. Geophys. Res. 64, 697.
- Solar-Geophysical Data: 1970, U.S. Dept. of Commerce, Washington, D.C.
- Teske, R. G.: 1969, Solar Phys. 6, 193.
- Thomas, R. J. and Teske, R. G.: 1971, Solar Phys. 16, 431.
- The impulsive X-ray burst of October 10, 1970
Volume 25, Issue 2 , pp 418-424
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links