Rigidity and polarity
- Walter Whiteley
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Consider a weaving — a set of rods in the plane, woven over and under at their crossing points. The theory of when such weavings are stable, or rigid, in the plane is developed as the projective polar of the theory of static equilibrium and static rigidity for plane tensegrity frameworks with cables and struts.
- Bolker, E. and Roth, B., ‘When is a Bipartite Graph a Rigid Framework?’, Pacific J. Math. 90 (1980), 27–44.
- Crapo, H. and Whiteley, W., ‘Stresses of Frameworks and Motions of Panel Structures: A Projective Geometric Introduction’, Structural Topology 6 (1982), 43–82.
- Maxwell, J. C., ‘On Reciprocal Figures and Diagrams of Forces’, Phil. Mag. Ser. 4 27 (1964), 250–261.
- Pollack, R., Sack, J. and Welzl, E., ‘Weaving Patterns of Lines and Line Segments in Space’, Draft Preprint, Courant Institute, New York Univ., New York City.
- Roth, B. and Whiteley, W., ‘Tensegrity Frameworks’, Trans. Amer. Math. Soc. 265 (1981), 419–446.
- Tarnai, T., ‘Duality between Plane Trusses and Grillages’, Preprint, Hungarian Institute for Building Studies, Budapest, David F.u.6., H-1113, Hungary.
- Tucker, A. W., ‘Dual Systems of Homogeneous Linear Relations’, in Linear Inequalities and Related Systems (H. W. Kuhn and A. W. Tucker, eds), Annals of Math Studies, Princeton Univ. Press, 1956, pp. 3–18.
- White, N. and Whiteley, W., ‘The Algebraic Geometry of Stresses in Frameworks’, SIAM J. Algebraic Discrete Methods 4 (1983), 481–511.
- Whiteley, W., ‘Infintesimal Motions of a Bipartite Framework’, Pacific J. Math. 110 (1984), 233–255.
- Whiteley, W., ‘Rigidity and Polarity I: Statics of Sheetworks’, Geom. Dedicata 22 (1987), 329–362. CrossRef
- Whiteley, W., ‘Weavings, Sections and Projections of Polyhedra’, Preprint, Champlain Regional College, St Lambert, Québec, J4P-3P2.
- Rigidity and polarity
Volume 30, Issue 3 , pp 255-279
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Walter Whiteley (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Mathematics, Champlain Regional College, 900 Riverside Drive, J4P 3P2, St Lambert, Québec, Canada