HMPAO SPET and FDG PET in Alzheimer's disease and vascular dementia: comparison of perfusion and metabolic pattern
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Positron emission tomography (PET) of 18F-2-fluoro-2-shirlyD-glucose (FDG) and single-photon emission tomography (SPET) of 99mTc-hexamethyl-propylene amine oxime (HMPAO) were performed under identical resting conditions within 3 h in 20 patients with probable Alzheimer's disease (AD), 12 patients with vascular dementia (VD) and 13 normal persons. In the temporoparietal association cortex similar impairment of relative regional cerebral glucose metabolism (rCMRGI) and relative HMPAO uptake (rCBF) was found. In addition PET showed hypometabolism in the occipital association cortex. The functional pattern was condensed to a ratio of regional values of association areas divided by regional values of structures that are typically less affected by AD. In normals this ratio was significantly related to age for PET metabolic data (r = −0.66, P = 0.01). The ratio was significantly lower in AD than in VD and controls for both rCMRGI and rCBF. In AD only, the metabolic ratio was related to severity of dementia (r = 0.54, P = 0.003) and age (r = 0.64, P = 0.003). Metabolic differences between normals and AD patients were less obvious in old age. In contrast, there were no significant correlations between the perfusion ratio and severity of dementia or age. Comparing the metabolic and perfusion ratio by receiver operating characteristic curves, PET differentiated AD from normals only marginally better than SPET. Differentiation between AD and VD was much better achieved by PET. Our results suggest that both PET and SPET can distinguish AD patients from controls, whereas for differentiation between AD and VD SPET is of little value.
- Benson DF, Kuhl DE, Hawkins RA, Phelps ME, Cummings JL, Tsai SY. The fluorodeoxyglucose 18F scan in Alzheimer's disease and multiinfarct dementia. Arch Neurol 1983; 40:711–714.
- Perani D, DiPiero V, Vallar G, Cappa S, Messa C, Bottini G, Berti A, Passafiume D, Scarlato C, Gerundini P, Lenzi GL, Fazio F. Technetium-99m HM-PAO-SPET study of regional cerebral perfusion in early Alzheimer's disease. J Nucl Med 1988; 29:1507–1514.
- Podreka I, Suess E, Goldenberg G, Steiner M, Brücke T, Müller CH, Lang W, Neirinckx RD, Deecke L. Initial experience with Technetium-99m HM-PAO brain SPET. J Nucl Med 1987; 28:1657–1666.
- Gemmell HG, Sharp PF, Benson JAO, Ebmeier KP, Smith FW. A comparison of Tc-99m HM-PAO and I-123 IMP cerebral SPET images in Alzheimer's disease and multi-infarct dementia. Eur J Nucl Med 1988; 14:463–466.
- Sacquegna T, DeCarolis P, Daidone R, Dondi M. Single-photon emission tomography with technetium Tc 99m hexamethylpropylene amine oxime in Binswanger's disease. Arch Neurol 1988; 45:603–604.
- Claus JJ, Hasan D, Harskamp FH, Breteler MMB, Krenning EP, Koning I, Cammen TJM, Hofmann A. SPET with 99mTc HMPAO is of limited diagnostic value in mild Alzheimer's disease: a population-based study. Neurology 1993; 43:A406.
- Weinstein HC, Haan J, van Royen EO, Derix MMA, Lanser JBK, van der Zant F, Dunnewold RJW, van Kroonenburgh MJPG, Pauwels EKJ, van der Velde EA, Hijdra A, Buruma OJS. SPET in the diagnosis of Alzheimer's disease and multiinfarct dementia. Clin Neurol Neurosurg 1991; 93:39–43.
- Gemmel HG, Sharp PF, Besson JAO, Crawford JR, Ebmeier KP, Davidson J, Smith FW. Differential diagnosis in dementia using cerebral blood flow agent Tc-99m HM-PAO: a SPET study. J Comput Assist Tomogr 1987;11:398–402.
- Neary D, Snowdon JS, Shields RA, Burjan AWI, Northen B, Macdermott N, Prescott MC, Testa HJ. Single photon emission tomography using 99mTc-HM-PAO in the investigation of dementia. J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry 1987; 50:1101–1109.
- Reed BR, Jagust WJ, Seab JP, Ober BA. Memory and regional cerebral blood flow in mildly symptomatic Alzheimer's disease. Neurology 1989; 39:1537–1539.
- McKhann G, Drachman D, Folstein M, Katzman R, Price D, Stadlan EM. Clinical diagnosis of Alzheimer's disease: report of the NINCDS-ADRDA work group under the auspices of Department of Health and Human Services Task Force on Alzheimer's disease. Neurology 1984; 19:939–944.
- Roman GC, Tatemichi TK, Erkinjuntti T, Cummings JL, Masdeu JC, Garcia JH, Amaducci L, Orgogozzo JM, Brun A, Hofman A, Moody DM, O'Brien MD, Yamaguchi T, Grafman J, Drayer BP, Bennett DA, Fisher M, Ogata J, Kokmen E, Bermejo F, Wolf PA, Gorelick PB, Bick KL, Pajeau AK, Bell MA, DeCarli C, Culebras A, Korczyn AD, Bogousslavsky J, Hartmann A, Scheinberg P. Vascular dementia: diagnostic criteria for research studies. Neurology 1993; 43:250–260.
- American Psychiatric Association. Diagnostic and statistical manual of mental disorders, third edition, revised. Washington DC: American Psychiatric Association, 1987.
- Rosen WG, Terry RD, Fuld PA, Katzman R, Peck A. Pathological verification of ischaemia score in differentiation of dementias. Ann Neurol 1980; 7:486–488.
- Crook T, Bartus RT, Ferris SH, Whitehouse P, Cohen GD, Gershon S. Age-associated memory impairment: proposed diagnostic criteria and measures of clinical change — report of a national institute of mental health work group. Dev Neuropsychol 1986; 2:261–276.
- Kral VA. Senescent forgetfulness: benign and malignant. J Can Med Assoc 1962; 86:257–260.
- Folstein MF, Folstein SE, McHugh PR. Mini-mental state. J Psychiatr Res 1975; 12:189–198. CrossRef
- Neirinckx RD, Canning LR, Piper IM, Nowotnik DP, Pickett RD, Holmes RA, Volkert WA, Forster AM, Weisner PS, Marriott JA, Chaplin SB. Technetium-99m d,l-HMPAO: a new radiopharmaceutical for SPET imaging of regional cerebral blood perfusion. J Nucl Med 1987; 28:191–202.
- Chang LT. A method for attenuation correction in radionuclide computed tomography. IEEE Trans Nucl Sci 1978; 25:638–643.
- Wienhard K, Eriksson L, Grootonk S, Casey M, Pietrzyk U, Heiss WD. Performance evaluation of the positron scanner ECAT EXACT. J Comput Assist Tomogr 1992; 16:804–813.
- Wienhard K, Pawlik G, Herholz K, Wagner R, Heiss WD. Estimation of local cerebral glucose utilization by positron emission tomography of (18F)-2-fluoro-2-deoxy-shirlyD-glucose: a critical appraisal of optimization procedures. J Cereb Blood Flow Metab 1985; 5:115–125.
- Pietrzyk U, Herholz K, Heiss WD. 3-dimensional alignment of functional and morphological tomograms. J Comput Assist Tomogr 1990; 14:51–59.
- Pietrzyk U, Herholz K, Fink G, Jacobs A, Mielke R, Slansky I, Würker M, Heiss WD. Validation of a multi-purpose three-dimensional image registration technique. J Nucl Med 1994; (in press).
- Hanley JA, McNeill, BJ. A method of comparing the areas under receiver operating characteristic curves derived from the same cases. Radiology 1983; 148:839–843.
- Hanley JA, McNeill, BJ. The meaning and use of the area under a receiver operating characteristic (ROC) curve. Radiology 1982; 143:29–36.
- Herholz K, Adams R, Kessler J, Szelies B, Grond M, Heiss WD. Criteria for the diagnosis of Alzheimer's disease with positron emission tomography. Dementia 1990; 1:156–164.
- Morris JC, McKeel Jr DW, Fulling K, Torack RM, Berg L. Validation of clinical diagnostic criteria for Alzheimer's disease. Ann Neurol 1988; 24:17–22.
- Molsa PK, Paljarvi L, Rinne JO, Rinne UK, Sako E. Validity of clinical diagnosis in dementia: a prospective clinicopathological study. J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry 1980; 48:1085–1090.
- Gemmel HG, Evans NTS, Besson JAO, Roeda D, Davidson J, Dodd MG, Sharp PF, Smith FW, Crawford JR, Newton RH, Kulkarni V, Mallard JR. Regional cerebral blood flow imaging: a quantitative comparison of technetium-99m-HMPAO SPET with C15O2 PET. J Nucl Med 1990; 31:1595–1600.
- Heiss WD, Herholz K, Podreka I, Neubauer I, Pietrzyk U. Comparison of [99mTc]HMPAO SPET with [18F]fluoromethane PET in cerebrovascular disease. J Cereb Blood Flow Metab 1990; 10:687–697.
- Messa C, Perani D, Lucignani G, Zenorini A, Zito F, Rizzo G, Grassi F, Del Sole A, Franceschi M, Gilardi MC, Fazio F. High-resolution technetium-99m-HMPAO SPET in patients with probable Alzheimer's disease: comparison with fluorine-18-FDG PET. J Nucl Med 1994; 35:210–216.
- Frackowiak RSJ, Pozzilli C, Legg NJ, du Boulay GH, Marshall J, Lenzi GL, Jones T. Regional cerebral oxygen supply and utilization in dementia. Brain 1981; 104:753–778.
- Heiss WD, Huber M, Fink GR, Herholz K, Pietrzyk U, Wagner R, Wienhard K. Progressive derangement of periinfarct viable tissue in ischaemic stroke. J Cereb Blood Flow Metab 1992; 12:193–203.
- Mielke R, Herholz K, Grond M, Kessler J, Heiss WD. Differences of regional cerebral glucose metabolism between presenile and senile dementia of Alzheimer type. Neurobiol Aging 1992; 13:93–98.
- Mielke R, Herholz K, Grond M, Kessler J, Heiss WD. Severity of vascular dementia is related to volume of metabolically impaired tissue. Arch Neurol 1992; 49:909–913.
- Froelich L, Eilles C, Ihl R, Maurer K, Lanczik M. Stage-dependent reductions of regional cerebral blood flow measured by HMPAO-SPET in dementia of Alzheimer type. Psychiatr Res 1989; 29:347–350.
- Herholz K, Perani D, Salmon E, Franck G, Fazio F, Heiss WD, Comar D. Comparability of FDG PET studies in probable Alzheimer's disease. J Nucl Med 1993; 34:1460–1466.
- Johnson KA, Kijewski MF, Becker JA, Garada B, Satlin A, Holman BL. Quantitative brain SPET in Alzheimer's disease and normal aging. J Nucl Med 1993; 34:2044–2048.
- HMPAO SPET and FDG PET in Alzheimer's disease and vascular dementia: comparison of perfusion and metabolic pattern
European Journal of Nuclear Medicine
Volume 21, Issue 10 , pp 1052-1060
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Hexamethylpropylene amine oxime singlephoton emission tomography
- Fluorodeoxyglucose positron emission tomography
- Diagnostic accuracy
- Alzheimer's disease
- Vascular dementia
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Max-Planck-Institut fur Neurologische Forschung, Köln, Germany
- 2. Universitätsklinik fur Neurologie, Köln, Germany