Effect of citicoline on visual acuity in amblyopia: preliminary results
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
•Background: Citicoline has been used to improve consciousness levels in cerebral trauma and as a complement for levodopa in Parkinson's disease. It has also been shown that severe glaucomatous visual field deficits improve for at least 4 months with the use of citicoline. In this paper, preliminary results are presented of an open and a double-blind study on the effect of citicoline in amblyopia.
•Methods: The open study was started in 1991. Fifty patients with amblyopia were treated with citicoline (1000 mg i.m. daily for 15 days). They were selected from an age group beyond the plastic period of the visual system. Occlusion or other types of anti-amblyopic treatment were never used at the same time as citicoline. A double-blind study was conducted on 10 more patients, randomly assigned to a treatment or placebo group and followed for 6 months. A statistical test for repeated measures was performed on all the results.
•Results: A statistically significant improvement in visual acuity was found both for the amblyopic and the sound eye in 46 of the 50 patients (92%). The behaviour was different for normal and amblyopic eyes. The improvement remained stable for at least 4 months. These results have been substantiated by the double-blind study. No side effects were observed.
•Conclusion: Citicoline improves visual acuity, at least temporarily, in amblyopic patients beyond the plastic period of the visual system. Our results suggest that trials of citicoline as a medical treatment of amblyopia are warranted.
- Bietti, GB (1957) Sur la possibilité d'un traitment médicamenteux des phénomens suppressifs en vision binoculaire dans le strabisme. Probl Act Ophthalmol 1: pp. 391-399
- Bietti, GB, Scorsonelli, M (1955) Azione dell' O/2 sui fenomeni di soppressione in visione binoculare degli strabici. Riv Med Aeronaut 18: pp. 23-34
- Campos, EC, Benedetti, P, Schiavi, C, Scorolli, L (1992) Risultati preliminari sull' impiego della citicolina nell' ambliopia. Boll Soc Med Chir Modena 107: pp. 357-360
- Domenici, L, Berardi, N, Carmignoto, G, Vantini, G, Maffei, L (1991) Nerve growth factor (NGF) prevents the amblyopic effect of monocular deprivation. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 88: pp. 8811-8815
- Duffy, FH, Snodgrass, SR, Burchfiel, JL, Conway, JL (1982) Bicuculline reversal of deprivation amblyopia in the cat. Nature 260: pp. 256-257
- Gottlob, I, Charlier, J, Reinecke, RD (1992) Visual acuities and scotomas after one week of levodopa administration in human amblyopia. Invest Ophthalmol Visual Science 33: pp. 2722-2728
- Harwerth, RS, Smith, EL, Duncan, GC, Crawford, MLJ, Noorden, GK (1986) Effects of enucleation of the fixating eye on strabismic amblyopia in monkeys. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 27: pp. 246-254
- Kasamatsu, T (1982) Enhancement of neuronal plasticity by activating the norepinephrine system in the brain: a remedy for amblyopia. Hum Neurobiol 1: pp. 49-54
- Kasamatsu, T, Pettigrew, JD (1976) Depletion of brain cathecolamines: failure of ocular dominance shift after monocular occlusion in kittens. Science 194: pp. 206-209
- Leguire, LE, Rogers, GI, Bremer, DL, Walson, R, Hadjiconstaninou-Neff, M (1992) Levodopa and childhood amblyopia. J Ped Ophthalmol Strabismus 29: pp. 290-298
- Nagel, A (1871) Die Behandlung der Amaurosen und Amblyopien mit Strycknin. Klin Monatsbl Augenheilkd 9: pp. 264-267
- Noorden, GK (1985) Amblyopia. A multidisciplinary approach (Proctor Lecture). Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 26: pp. 1704-1716
- Noorden GK von (1990) Binocular vision and ocular motility. Theory and management of strabismus. Mosby, St. Louis
- Noorden, GK, Crawford, MLJ (1992) The lateral geniculate nucleus in human strabismic amblyopia. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 33: pp. 2729-2732
- Noorden, GK, Crawford, MLJ, Levaey, RA (1983) The lateral geniculate nucleus in human anisometropic amblyopia. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 24: pp. 788-789
- Pecori Giraldi, J, Virno, M, Covelli, GP, Grechi, G, Gregorio, F (1989) Therapeutic value of citicoline in the treatment of glaucoma (computerized and automated perimetric investigation). Int Ophthalmol 13: pp. 109-115
- Virno, M, Pecori Giraldi, J, Grechi, G, Covelli, GP, Gregorio, F (1989) Valore terapeutico della citicolina nel paziente glaucomatoso (indagine perimetrica computerizzata). Boll Ocul 68: pp. 251-258
- Virno, M, Pecori Giraldi, J, Pellegrino, N, Taverniti, L, Gregorio, F, Sedran, L (1993) Farmaci attivi sulla emodinamica oculare. Boll Ocul 72: pp. 1-20
- Effect of citicoline on visual acuity in amblyopia: preliminary results
Graefe's Archive for Clinical and Experimental Ophthalmology
Volume 233, Issue 5 , pp 307-312
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors