A late Holocene varved sediment record of environmental change from northern Ellesmere Island, Canada
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
A composite record of varve sedimentation is presented from high arctic meromictic Lake C2. The combination of a short runoff and sediment transport season with the strong density stratification of the lake lead to the formation of annual sediment couplets. This conclusion was confirmed by 210Pb determinations. High intra-lake correlation of the varves allowed the construction of a composite record of varve sedimentation from overlapping segments of multiple sediment cores. Cross-dating between core segments isolated counting errors in individual cores, that could be attributed to minor sediment disturbances and vague structures. Resolving counting errors by cross-dating reduced the chronological error of the composite series to an estimated ±57 years.
The Lake C2 series is the first non-ice cap, high resolution late-Holocene environmental record from the Canadian high arctic. The composite varve series compares favorably with other high resolution proxies from the arctic, in particular with the ice core records from Devon Island and Camp Century, Greenland. A general correspondence between the varve record and other North American proxies for the little Ice Age period (1400–1900 AD) suggests that the Lake C2 record is sensitive to large-scale synoptic changes.
Supplementary Material (0)
- Abbott, M. B., 1991. Radiocarbon dating and interpretation of sediments from five lake systems along Frobisher Bay, N.W.T., Canada. M.Sc. Thesis, University of Colorado, Boulder, 237 pp.
- Antevs E., 1951. Glacial clays in Steep Rock Lake, Ontario, Canada. Bull. Geol. Soc. Am. 62: 1223–1262.
- Bednarski J., 1986. Late Quaternary glacial and sea-level events, Clements Markham Inlet, Northern Ellesmere Island, Arctic Canada. Can. J. Earth Sci. 23: 1343–1355.
- Bourgeois J. C., 1986. A pollen record from the Agassiz Ice Cap, Northern Ellesmere Island, Canada. Boreas 15: 345–354.
- Boygle J., 1993. The Swedish varve chronology — a review. Prog. Phys. Geog. 17: 1–19.
- Bradley R. S., 1990. Holocene paleoclimatology of the Queen Elizabeth Islands, Canadian High Arctic. Quat. Sci. Rev. 9: 365–384.
- Bradley R. S. & P. D. Jones, 1993. ‘Little Ice Age’ summer temperature variations: their nature and relevance to recent global warming trends. The Holocene 3: 367–376.
- Bradley R. S., M. J. Retelle, S. D. Ludlam, D. R. Hardy, B. Zolitschka and S. F. Lamoureux, 1996. The Taconite Inlet Lakes Project: A systems approach to paleoclimatic reconstruction. J. Paleolimnol. 16: 97–110.
- Clark J. S., 1988. Stratigraphic charcoal analysis on petrographic thin sections: application to fire history in Northwestern Minnesota. Quat. Res. 30: 81–91.
- Cromack M., 1991. Interpretation of laminated sediments from glacier-fed lakes, northwest Spitsbergen. Norsk Geologisk Tidsskrift 71: 129–132.
- De Geer G., 1912. A geochronology of the last 12 000 years. Eleventh International Geological Congress (1910), Stockholm, 1: 241–253.
- Desloges J. R., 1994. Varve deposition and the sediment record at three small lakes of the southern Canadian Cordillera. Arct. Alp. Res. 26: 130–140.
- Dominik J., J. Loizeau & D. Span, 1992. Radioisotopic evidence of perturbations of recent sedimentary record in lakes: a word of caution for climate studies. Climate Dynamics 6: 145–152.
- Doubleday, N., M. S. V. Douglas & J. P. Smol, 1994. Paleoenvironmental studies of black carbon deposition in the High Arctic: a case study from Northern Ellesmere Island. Proc. Iceland EPA Conference, in press.
- Douglas M. S. V., J. P. Smol & W. Blake Jr., 1994. Diatom evidence of post-18th century environmental change in High Arctic ecosystems. Science 266: 416–419.
- Douglas M. S. V., S. Ludlam & S. Feeney, 1996. Changes in diatom assemblages in Lake C2: response to basin isolation from the sea and to environmental changes. J. Paleolimnol. 16: 217–226.
- Evans, D. J. A., 1988. Glacial geomorphology and Late Quaternary history of Philips Inlet and the Wooton Peninsula, North-west Ellesmere Island, Canada, Ph.D Dissertation, University of Alberta, Canada, 281 pp.
- Fritts H. C., 1976. Tree Rings and Climate. Academic Press, New York, 567 pp.
- Hardy D. R., 1996. Climatic influences on streamflow and sediment flux into Lake C2, Northern Ellesmere Island, Canada. J. Paleolimnol. 16: 133–149.
- Hardy D. R., R. S. Bradley, & B. Zolitschka, 1996. The climatic signal in varved sediments from Lake C2, Northern Ellesmere Island, Canada. J. Paleolimnol. 16: 227–238.
- Hughen K., J. T. Overpeck, R. Anderson & K. Williams, 1995. Paleoclimate records from varved Arctic lake sediments: Baffin Island, Eastern Canadian Arctic. In: Palaeoclimatology and Palaeoceanography from Laminated Sediments (A. Kemp, ed.), Special Publications of the Geological Society, London, in press.
- Jeffries M. O., 1992. Arctic ice shelves and ice islands: origin, growth and disintegration, physical characteristics, structural-stratigraphic variability, and dynamics. Rev. Geophys. 30: 245–267.
- Jeffries M. O. & H. R. Krouse, 1984: Arctic ice shelf growth, fiord oceanography and climate. Zeitschrift fur Gletscherkunde and Glazialgeologie 20: 147–153.
- Koerner R. M. & W. S. B. Paterson, 1974. Analysis of a core through the Meighen Ice Cap, Arctic Canada, and its paleoclimatic implications. Quat. Res. 4: 253–253.
- Koerner R. M. & D. A. Fisher, 1990. A record of Holocene summer climate from a Canadian high-Arctic ice core. Nature 343: 630–631.
- Lamoureux S. F., 1994a. Embedding unfrozen lake sediments. J. Paleolimnol. 10: 141–146.
- Lamoureux, S. F., 1994b. Paleoclimatic Reconstruction from Varved Lake Sediments, Lake C2, Ellesmere Island, Canada. Unpublished MS. Thesis, University of Massachusetts, Amherst, 170 pp.
- Leemann A. & F. Niessen, 1994. Varve formation and the climatic record in an Alpine proglacial lake: calibrating annually-laminated sediments against hydrological and meteorological data. The Holocene 4: 1–8.
- Lemmen D. S., 1990. Glaciomarine sedimentation in Disraeli Fiord, High Arctic Canada. Mar. Geol. 94: 9–22.
- Lemmen D. S., R. Gilbert, J. P. Smol & R. I. Hall, 1988. Holocene sedimentation in glacial Tasikutaaq Lake, Baffin Island. Can. J. Earth Sci. 25: 810–823.
- Leonard E. M., 1985. Glaciological and climatic controls on lake sedimentation, Canadian Rocky Mountains. Zeitschrift fur Gletscherkunde und Glazialgeologie 21: 35–42.
- Leonard E. M., 1986. Varve studies at Hector Lake, Alberta, Canada, and the relationship between glacial activity and sedimentation. Quat. Res. 25: 199–214.
- Ludlam S. D., 1996a. The comparative limnology of High Arctic, coastal meromictic lakes. J. Paleolimnol. 16: 111–131.
- Ludlam S. D., 1996b. Stratification patterns in the eastern arm of Taconite Inlet, Ellesmere Island, N.W.T., Canada. J. Paleolimnol. 16: 205–215.
- Ludlam S. D., S. Feeney and M. S. V. Douglas, 1996. Changes in the importance of lotic and littoral diatoms in a high arctic lake over the last 191 years. J. Paleolimnol. 16: 187–204.
- Lyons J. B. & J. E. Mielke, 1973. Holocene history of a portion of Northernmost Ellesmere Island. Arctic 26: 314–323.
- Mayewski P. A., L. D. Meeker, M. C. Morrison, M. S. Twickler, S. I. Whitlow, K. K. Ferland, D. A. Meese, M. R. Legrand & J. P. Steffensen, 1993. Greenland ice core ‘signal’ characteristics: an expanded view of climate change. J. Geophys. Res. 98 (D7): 12 839–12 847.
- O'Sullivan P. E., 1983. Annually-laminated lake sediments and the study of Quaternary environmental changes — a review. Quat. Sci. Rev. 1: 245–313.
- Overpeck, J. & W. Wagner, 1990. Embedding lake sediments in epoxy. Unpublished manuscript, 4 pp.
- Paterson W. S. B., R. M. Koerner, D. Fisher, S. J. Johnsen, H. B. Clausen, W. Dansgaard, P. Bucher & H. Oeschger, 1977. An oxygen-isotope climatic record from the Devon Island ice cap, arctic Canada. Nature 266: 508–511.
- Perkins J. A. & J. D. Sims, 1983. Correlation of Alaskan varve thickness with climatic parameters, and use in paleoclimatic reconstruction. Quat. Res. 20: 308–321.
- Reasoner M. A., 1993. Equipment and procedure improvements for a lightweight, inexpensive, percussion core sampling system. J. Paleolimnol 8: 273–281.
- Retelle M. J., 1986. Stratigraphy and sedimentology of coastal lacustrine basins, northeastern Ellesmere Island, N.W.T.. Geographie Phys. Quat. 40: 117–128.
- Retelle M. J. & J. Child, 1996. Suspended sediment transport and deposition in a High Arctic meromictic lake, Northern Ellesmere Island, Canada. J. Paleolimnol. 16: 151–167.
- Smith, N. D. & G. Ashley, 1985. Proglacial lacustrine environment. In G. M. Ashley, J. Shaw & N. D. Smith (eds), Glacial sedimentary environments, Society of Economic Paleontologists and Mineralogists Short Course No. 16, Tulsa, 135–175.
- Soutar A. & P. A. Crill, 1977. Sedimentation and climatic patterns in the Santa Barbara Basin during the 19th and 20th centuries. Bull. Geol. Soc. Am. 88: 1161–1172.
- Sprowl, D. R., 1993. On the precision of the Elk Lake varve chronology. In J. P. Bradbury & W. E. Dean (eds), Elk Lake, Minnesota: Evidence for rapid climate change in the North-Central United States, Geological Society of America Special Paper 276: 69–74.
- Stewart T. G. & J. England, 1983. Holocene sea-ice variations and paleoenvironmental change Northernmost Ellesmere Island, N.W.T., Canada. Arct. Alp. Res. 15: 1–17.
- Stihler S. D., D. B. Stone & J. E. Beget, 1992. ‘Varve’ counting vs. tephrochronology and 137Cs and 210Pb dating: a comparative test at Skilak Lake, Alaska. Geology 20: 1019–1022.
- Sutherland, P. D., 1992. Environmental change and prehistory in Arctic Canada. In M. K. Woo & D. J. Gregor (eds), Arctic environment: past, present and future, McMaster University: 139–153.
- Trettin, H. P., 1989. Pre-Carboniferous geology, M'Clintock Inlet map-area, Northern Ellesmere Island, interim report and map. Geological Survey of Canada Open File 1652.
- Zolitschka B., 1996. Processes of recent sedimentation in a High Arctic lake, Northern Ellesmere Island, Canada. J. Paleolimnol. 16: 169–186.
About this Article
- A late Holocene varved sediment record of environmental change from northern Ellesmere Island, Canada
Journal of Paleolimnology
Volume 16, Issue 2 , pp 239-255
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- ice shelves
- Industry Sectors