Influence of the menstrual cycle and of menopause on the gastric emptying rate of solids in female volunteers
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The aim of this study was to assess the influence of the normal menstrual cycle and of menopause on the gastric emptying rate of solids. Gastric emptying was studied in 15 premenopausal and ten postmenopausal women with an isotopic technique after the ingestion of a radiolabelled test meal. Premenopausal women were studied twice: within 1 week prior to menses and again 1 week after onset of menses. Postmenopausal women were studied only once. The emptying curves of the solid component of the meal fitted a linear model. The half-emptying time was 78±5 min during the follicular phase, 75 ± 7 min during the luteal phase and 76 ± 6 min in post-menopausal women (differences not statistically significant). The mean percentages of the meal retained in the stomach at different time intervals were also similar in the three groups. These results suggest that the menstrual cycle does not influence the gastric emptying rate of solids, which remains unchanged in relation to the follicular phase or after menopause.
- Singer JS, Brandt LJ. Pathophysiology of the gastrointestinal tract during pregnancy. Am J Gastroenterol 1991;86:1695–1712.
- Wald A, Van Thiel DH, Hoeschstetter L, et al. Gastrointestinal transit: effect of the menstrual cycle. Gastroenterology 1981;80:1497–1500.
- Everson GT, McKinley C, Lawson M, et al. Gallbladder function in the human female: effect of the ovulatory cycle, pregnancy, and contraceptive steroids. Gastroenterology 1982;82:711–719.
- Winborn W, Sheridan P, McGill H. Sex steroid receptors in the stomach liver, pancreas and gastrointestinal tract of the baboon. Gastroenterology 1987;92:23–32.
- Ryan JP, Bhowjawani A, Wang M. Effect of pregnancy on gastric motility in vivo and in vitro in the guinea pig. Gastroenterology 1987;93:29–34.
- Notivol R, Carrió, Cano L, et al. Gastric emptying of solid and liquid meals in healthy young subjects. Scand J Gastroenterol 1984;19:1107–1113.
- Datz FL, Christian PE, Moore J. Gender-related differences in gastric emptying. J Nucl Med 1987;28:1204–1207.
- Hutson WR, Rochrkasse RL, Wald A. Influence of gender and menopause on gastric emptying and motility. Gastroenterology 1989;96:11–17.
- Horowitz M, Maddern J, Chatterton E, et al. The normal menstrual cycle has no effect on gastric emptying. Br J Obstet Gynaecol 1985;92:743–746.
- Datz Fl, Christian PE, Moore J. Differences in gastric emptying rates between menstruating and postmenopausal women. J Nucl Med 1987;4:604–605.
- Carrió I, Estorch M, Serra-Grimá et al. Gastric emptying in marathon runners. Gut 1989;30:152–155.
- Monés J, Carrió I, Roca M et al. Gastric emptying of two radiolabelled antacids. Gut 1991;32:147–150.
- Lawson M, Kern F, Everson GT, Gastrointestinal transit time in human pregnancy: prolongation in the second and third trimesters followed by post-partum normalization. Gastroenterology 1985;89:996–999.
- Thurnbull GK, Thompson DG, Day S, et al. Relationships between symptoms, menstrual cycle and oro-cecal transit in normal and constipated women. Gut 1989;30:30–34.
- Wright RA, Krinsky S, Fleeman C, et al. Gastric emptying and obesity. Gastroenterology 1983;84:747–751.
- Datz FL, Christian PE, Moore JG. Differences in gastric emptying rates between menstruating and postmenopausal women [abstract]. J Nucl Med 1987;28:604–605.
- Influence of the menstrual cycle and of menopause on the gastric emptying rate of solids in female volunteers
European Journal of Nuclear Medicine
Volume 20, Issue 7 , pp 600-602
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Gastric emptying
- Menstrual cycle
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Gastroenterology, Hospital de la Santa Creu i Sant Pau, Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona, Sant Antoni Ma Claret 167, 08025, Barcelona, Spain
- 2. Department of Nuclear Medicine, Hospital de la Santa Creu i Sant Pau, Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona, Sant Antoni Ma Claret 167, 08025, Barcelona, Spain