Housing demolition and refugee resettlement schemes in the Gaza Strip
- Ahmed Said Dahlan Dr.
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
This case study examines Israeli resettlement policy and housing demolition measures practiced in the Gaza Strip. Since the Gaza Strip is distinguished by a huge concentration of dispossessed Palestinian refugees maintained in large camps, the Israeli authorities, from the early stage of the 1967 occupation of the area, have devoted major effort to breaking up the camps and relocating their inhabitants elsewhere. The Israeli authorities have applied a clear policy of systematic destruction of refugee shelters and initiation of resettlement schemes, aimed in the short run at making the refugee camps less congested, while in the long run, the policy appears designed to remove these camps from the landscape entirely, since they remain a constant reminder of Palestinian uprootedness and exile. To date, the Israeli strategy of demolishing the entire refugee camp network has failed to achieve its final objective.
- Abu Arafa, A.: Al-Istitan. Al-Tatbiq al-A'mali lil-Sahyuniyya (Settlement. The Practical Application of Zionism). Abu Arafa Press, Jerusalem (in Arabic) 1981.
- Al-Quds, No. 7340, daily newspaper, Jerusalem (in Arabic), 30 January 1990.
- Baster, J.: Economic Problems in the Gaza Strip. The Middle East Journal 9, 3, 323–327 (1955)
- Benvenisti, M.; Khayat, S.: The West Bank and Gaza Atlas. West Bank Data Base Project, Jerusalem 1988.
- Brilliant, M.: Arab Refugees Moved from ‘Lawless Gaza Strip’. The Times (22 July 1971)
- Central Bureau of Statistics: Statistical Abstract of Israel, no. 40, Jerusalem 1989.
- Cossali, P.; Robson, C.: Stateless in Gaza. Zed, London 1986.
- Dahlan, A. S.: Population Characteristics and Settlement Changes in the Gaza Strip (unpublished PhD thesis), Dept. of Geography, Universoty of Durham 1987.
- Dahlan, A. S.: Population, War and Politics. A Case Study of the Gaza Strip. In: Clarke, J. I. et al. (eds.), Population and Disaster. Institute of British Geographers, Basil Blackwell, Oxford 1989.
- Falah, G.: Israelization of Palestine Human Geography. Progress in Human Geography 13, 4, 535–550 (1989)
- Fareell, W.: Israeli Housing for Gaza Refugees Spurs Friction with UN. New York Times (24 November 1976)
- Lesch, A. M.: Gaza Gorgotten Corner of Palestine. Journal of Palestine Studies 15, 1, Issue 57, 43–61 (1985)
- Locke, R.; Stewart, A.: Bantustan Gaza. Zed, London 1985.
- Ministry of Health of Israel: Health and Health Services in Judaea, Samaria and Gaza 1984–1985. A report by the Ministry of Health of Israel to the 38th World Health Assembly, Geneva. Jerusalem 1985.
- National Lawyers Guild: Treatment of Palestinians in the Israeli-Occupied West Bank and Gaza. Report of the National Lawyers Guild 1977 Middle East Delegation, New York 1978.
- Playfair, E.: Demolition and Sealing of Houses as a Punitive Measure in the Israeli-Occupied West Bank. Al Haq, Occasional Paper no. 5, Ramallah, West Bank 1987.
- Rowley, G.: Israel and the Palestinian Refugees: Background and Present Realities. Area 9, 2, 81–89 (1977)
- Roy, S.: The Gaza Strip: A Demographic, Economic, Social and Legal Survey: West Bank Data Base Project, Jerusalem 1986.
- Salman, M.: Mashari Tawtin al-Filistiniyyin Mu'amarat Mustamira wa-Fashal Mutalahiq (Projects for Resettlement of the Palestinians are Continuous Conspiracies and Successive Failure), Samid al-Iqtisadi2, 17, PLO, Amman/Jordan, 7–24 (in Arabic) (1980)
- Stein, B. N.: The Commitment of Refugee Resettlement. Annals of the American Academy of Political and Social Science 467, 187–201 (1983)
- United Nations: Report of the Commissioner-General of the United Nations Relief and Works Agency for Palestine Refugees in the Near East, 1 July 1983–30 June 1984. General Assembly Official Records, 39th Session, Supplement no. 13 (A/39/13), New York 1984.
- United Nations: Report of the Commissioner-General of the United Nations, 1 July 1988–30 June 1989, General Assembly Official Records, 44th Session, Supplement no. 13 (A/44/13), New York 1989.
- UNRWA: An Israeli Seminar on Government Housing Projects, 10 July 1989, Internal Report, to Director of Relief Services, UNRWA headquarters, Vienna, personal communication 1989a.
- UNRWA: Statement of the Commissioner-General of UNRWA to the Special Political Committee of the General Assembly, 24 October 1989, UNRWA, New York 1989b.
- UNRWA Accomodation Office of Gaza: Unpublished Statistics Showing Houses and Plots of Land in Government Housing Projects for the Month of June 1989, Accomodation Division, Gaza Strip, personal communication 1989.
- UNRWA Accomodation Office of Gaza: Unpublished Statistical Registration Showing Monthly Demolitions and Rehousing up to the End of 1989, Accomodation Division, Gaza Strip, personal communication 1990.
- Viorst, M.: UNRWA and Peace in the Middle East. Special Study no. 4, The Middle East Institute, Washington DC 1984.
- Housing demolition and refugee resettlement schemes in the Gaza Strip
Volume 21, Issue 4 , pp 385-395
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Dept. of Geography, Islamic University of Gaza, Gaza, POBox 108, Gaza Strip, Israeli Occupied Territories