A nonlinear RLC solar cycle model
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
A simplified, monoparametric model, based on the Van der Pol nonlinear RLC electric oscillator, is found capable of describing the shape and related morphological properties (such as the Waldmeier effect) of the sunspot cycles. The model can also exhibit long periods of sunspot inactivity of the Maunder Minimum type. According to the model, the significant rise-to-fall time asymmetry of the most recent cycles suggests that it is unlikely that another cycle suppression will occur in the forthcoming decades. The complete sunspot record and the system's attractor are successfully emulated, given the sunspot number at cycle maxima.
- A nonlinear RLC solar cycle model
Volume 163, Issue 1 , pp 193-203
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Section of Astronomy, Astrophysics and Mechanics, Department of Physics, National University of Athens, GR 15784, Athens, Greece
- 2. Department of Planetary Sciences, Lunar and Planetary Laboratory, 85721, Tucson, Arizona, U.S.A.