Stage-specific distribution of P-glycoprotein in first-trimester and full-term human placenta
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The distribution of P-glycoprotein in human placenta has been examined by immunohistochemistry using a battery of monoclonal antibodies (MRK-16, C219 and JSB-1). P-glycoprotein was located on the syncytiotrophoblast microvillus border in first-trimester placentas and some of the placental macrophages (Hofbauer cells) showed weak cytoplasmic staining. In term placentas, however, staining was not observed in the trophoblast but most of the Hofbauer cells displayed strong cytoplasmic staining. In situ hybridization with specific gene probes suggested that both human multidrug resistance genes were expressed in the placenta, although only the multidrug resistance-1 gene product would have been detected by the MRK and JSB-1 antibodies. These results point to distinct functions for P-glycoprotein during the different stages of placental development and indicate that its expression may be under developmental control.
- Arceci, R. J., Croop, J. M., Horwitz, S. B. & Housman, D. (1988) The gene encoding multidrug resistance is induced and expressed at high levels during pregnancy in the secretory epithelium of the uterus. Proc. Natl Acad. Sci. USA 85, 4350–4.
- Arceci, R. J., Baas, F. & Raponi, R. (1990) Multidrug resistance gene expression is controlled by steroid hormones in the secretory epithelium of the uterus. Mol. Reprod. Dev. 25, 101–9.
- Baas, F. & Borst, P. (1988) The tissue dependent expression of hamster P-glycoprotein genes. FEBS Lett. 229, 329–32.
- Bradley, G., Georges, E. & Ling, V. (1990) Sex-dependent and independent expression of the P-glycoprotein isoforms in Chinese hamster. J. Cell Physiol. 145, 398–408.
- Cordon-Cardo, C., O'brien, J. P., Casals, D., Rittman-Grauer, L., Biedler, J. L., Melamed, M. R. & Bertino, J. R. (1989) Multidrug-resistance gene (P-glycoprotein) is expressed by endothelial cells at blood-brain barrier sites. Proc. Natl Acad. Sci. USA 86, 695–8.
- Cordon-Cardo, C., O'brien, J. P., Boccia, J., Casals, D., Bertino, J. R. & Melamed, M. R. (1990) Expression of the multidrug resistance gene product (P-glycoprotein) in human normal and tumor tissues. J. Histochem. Cytochem. 38, 1277–87.
- Croop, J. M., Raymond, M., Haber, D., Devault, A., Arceci, R. J., Gros, P. & Housman, D. (1989) The three mouse multidrug resistance (mdr) genes are expressed in a tissue specific manner in normal mouse tissues. Mol. Cell Biol. 9, 1346–50.
- Davidson, D., Graham, E., Sime, C. & Hall, R. (1988) Gene with sequence similarity to Drosophila engrailed is expressed during the development of the neural tube and vertebrae in the mouse. Development 104, 305–16.
- Deuchars, K. L. & Ling, V. (1989) P-glycoprotein and multidrug resistance in cancer chemotherapy. Sem. Oncol. 16, 156–65.
- Finstad, C. L., Saigo, P. E., Rubin, S. C., Federici, M. G., Provencher, D. M., Hoskins, W. J., Lewis Jr, J. L. & Lloyd, K. O. (1990) Immunohistochemical localization of P-glycoprotein in adult human ovary and female genital tract of patients with benign gynecological conditions. J. Histochem. Cytochem. 38, 1677–81.
- Fojo, A. T., Ueda, K., Slamon, D. J., Poplack, D. G., Gottesman, M. M. & Pastan, I. (1987) Expression of a multidrug-resistance gene in human tumors and tissues. Proc. Natl Acad. Sci. USA 84, 265–9.
- Hamada, H. & Tsuruo, T. (1986) Functional role for the 170-to 180-kDa glycoprotein specific to drug-resistant tumor cells as revealed by monoclonal antibodies. Proc. Natl Acad. Sci. USA 83, 7785–89.
- Hayashi, S., Gillam, I.C., Delaney, A. D. & Tener, G. M. (1978) Acetylation of chromosomal squashes of Drosophila melanogaster decreases the background in autoradiographs from hybridization with 125I-labelled RNA. J. Histochem. Cytochem. 26, 677–9.
- Schlaifer, D., Laurent, G., Chittal, S., Tsuruo, T., Soues, S., Muller, C., Charcosset, J. Y., Alard, C., Brousset, P., Mazerrolles, C. & Delsol, G. (1990) Immunohistochemical detection of multidrug resistance associated P-glycoprotein in tumour and stromal cells of human cancers. Brit. J. Cancer 62, 177–82.
- Sugawara, I. (1990) Expression and functions of P-glycoprotein (mdr 1 gene product) in normal and malignant tissue. Acta Pathol. Jpn. 40, 545–53.
- Sugawara, I., Kataoka, I., Morishita, Y., Hamada, H., Tsuruo, T., Itoyama, S. & Mori, S. (1988) Tissue distribution of P-glycoprotein encoded by a multidrug-resistant gene as revealed by a monoclonal antibody, MRK-16. Cancer Res. 48, 1926–9.
- Sugawara, I., Koji, T., Ueda, K., Pastan, I., Gottesman, M. M., Nakane, P. K. & Mori, S. (1990) In situ localization of the human multidrug-resistance gene mRNA using thymine-thymine dimerized single-stranded cDNA. Jpn. J. Cancer Res. 81, 949–55.
- Thiebaut, F., Tsuruo, T., Hamada, H., Gottesman, M. M. & Pastan, I. (1987) Cellular localization of the multi-drug-resistance gene product P-glycoprotein in normal human tissues. Proc. Natl Acad. Sci. USA 84, 7735–8.
- Van DerBliek, A. M., Kooiman, P. M., Schneider, C. & Borst, P. (1988) Sequence of mdr3 cDNA encoding a human P-glycoprotein. Gene 71, 401–11.
- Warnke, R., Pederson, M., Williams, C. & Levy, R. (1978) A study of lymphoproliferative diseases comparing immunofluorescence with immunohistochemistry. Am. J. Clin. Pathol. 70, 867–75.
- Weinstein, R. S., Kuszak, J. R., Kluskens, L. F. & Coon, J. S. (1990) P-glycoproteins in pathology: the multidrug resistance gene family in humans. Prog. Pathol. 21, 34–48.
- Stage-specific distribution of P-glycoprotein in first-trimester and full-term human placenta
The Histochemical Journal
Volume 26, Issue 5 , pp 417-423
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Molecular & Cell Biology, University of Aberdeen, Scotland, UK
- 2. Department of Obstetrics & Gynaecology, University of Aberdeen, Scotland, UK
- 3. Department of Pathology, University of Aberdeen, Scotland, UK