Helioseismic imaging of sunspots at their antipodes
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Recent work by Braun, Duvall, and LaBonte has shown that sunspots absorb helioseismic waves. We propose that sunspot absorption causes a seismic deficit that should be imaged at the antipode of the sunspot. If these images are observable, it should be possible to produce seismic maps of magnetic regions on the far side of the Sun. This possibility opens a broad range of synoptic and diagnostic applications. Diagnostic applications would include lifetimes of higher-frequency modes, and possibly rotation of the solar interior and detection of subsurface magnetic structure. We outline elements of the theory of seismic imaging and consider some applications. We propose the extention of acoustic holography to solar interior diagnostics in the context of antipodal imaging.
- Braun, D. C.: 1988, Ph. D. Thesis, University of Hawaii.
- Braun, D. C., Duvall, T., LaBonte, B. J. (1987) Astrophys. J. 319: pp. L27
- Braun, D. C., Duvall, T., LaBonte, B. J. (1988) Astrophys. J. 335: pp. 1015
- Butler, R., Brocher, T. M., Rial, J. A. (1986) EOS 67: pp. 89
- Duvall, T. L.: 1989, private communication.
- Duvall, T. L., Harvey, J. W., Libbrecht, K. G., Popp, B. D., Pomerantz, M. A. (1988) Astrophys. J. 324: pp. 1158
- Hollweg, J. V. (1988) Astrophys. J. 335: pp. 1005
- Libbrecht, K. G. (1988) Astrophys. J. 334: pp. 510
- Lou, Y. -Q.: 1989, preprint.
- Rial, J. A. (1978) Geophys. J. Roy. Astron. Soc. 55: pp. 737
- Rial, J. A., Cormier, V. F. (1980) J. Geophys. Res. 85: pp. 2661
- Roddier, F. (1975) Comt. Rend. Acad. Sci. 281: pp. B993
- Scherrer, P.: 1989, private communication.
- Helioseismic imaging of sunspots at their antipodes
Volume 126, Issue 1 , pp 101-115
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links