Evaluation of seroepidemiological associations between HIV-infection, hepatitis B and other sexually transmitted diseases in African patients
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
To assess the possible role of sexually transmitted diseases as cofactors for the spread of AIDS, 248 adult patients were tested for the presence of antibodies against human immunodeficiency virus (HIV), hepatitis B virus (HBV) and syphilis. The survey was conducted in a hospital at Kagondo, Kagera Region, Northwest Tanzania, Africa. Subjects were randomly chosen from the outpatient clinic to include those with and without sexually transmitted diseases, as well as AIDS/pre-AIDS patients. The data were univariately and multivariately analysed by linear logit models, including interactions of demographic parameters. The results obtained reveal a strong association between the presence of antibodies against HIV, syphilis and HBV, respectively. The HBV/HIV-correlation remained stable in the multivariate analysis including interactions of social parameters, in contrast to the syphilis/HIV-correlation. We assume that this reflects the lower virulence of HBV as compared to that of syphilis. The prevalence of anti-HBV antibodies seems to be a more reliable marker for high sexual activity than those against syphilis. The possibility that HBV and HIV act as cofactors for each other's transmission could not be ruled out.
- Alter, M.J., Ahtone, J., Weisfuse, I. (1986) Hepatitis B virus transmission between heterosexuals. JAMA 256: pp. 1307-1310
- Bishop, Y.W.W. (1985) Discrete Multivariate Analysis: Theory and Practice. MIT Press, Cambridge, Mass
- Cameron D., Plummer F.A., Simonsen J.N. et al.: Female to male heterosexual transmission of HIV and its facilitation by genital ulcer disease in Nairobi. (in press).
- Clumeck, N., Sonnet, J., Taelman, H. (1984) Acquired immune deficiency syndrome in African patients. N. Engl. J. Med. 310: pp. 492-497
- Darrow W.W., Cohen J.B., French J. et al. (1987): Multicenter study of human immunodeficiency virus antibody in U.S. prostitutes. - Proceedings of the III International Conference on AIDS, Washington, DC.
- Fischl, M.A., Dickinson, G.M., Scott, G.B. (1987) Evaluation of heterosexual partners, children and household contancts of adults with AIDS. JAMA 257: pp. 640-644
- Hollinger F.B. and Melnick J.L. (1985): Features of viral hepatitis. In Virology (eds. B.N. Fields et al.), Chapter 61, pp. 1417–1494, Raven Press.
- Marinier E., Barrois V., Laronze B. et al. (1985): Lack of perinatal transmission of hepatitis B virus transmission in Senegal, West Africa. J. Pediat., 843–849.
- Melbye M. Njelesani EX, Bayley A. et al. (1986): Evidence for heterosexual transmission and clinical manifestation of Human Immunodeficiency Virus Infection and related conditions in Lusaka, Zambia. Lancet, 1113–1115.
- Pape, J.W., Liaulaud, B., Thomas, F. (1983) Characteristics of the acquired immune deficiency syndrome in Haitians. N. Engl. J. Med. 309: pp. 945-950
- Piot, P., Quinn, T.C., Taelman, H. (1984) Acquired immunodeficiency syndrome in a heterosexual population in Zaire. Lancet 2: pp. 65-69
- Proceedings of the Symposium on sexually transmitted diseases, Dar es Salaam, September 17, 1985. Medical Association of Tanzania.
- Quinn, T.C., Piot, P., McCormick, J.B. (1987) Serologic and immunologic studies in patients with AIDS in North America and Africa. JAMA 257: pp. 2617-2621
- SAS User's Guide: Basics, Version. SAS Institute Inc., Cary, NC
- Simonsen, J.N., Cameron, D.W., Gakinya, M.N. (1988) Human immunodeficiency virus among men with sexually transmitted diseases - experience from a center in Africa. N. Engl. J. Med. 319: pp. 274-278
- Sindrup, J.H., Weismann, K., Lange-Wantzin, G. (1986) Syphilis in HTLV-III infected male homosexuals. AIDS Research 2: pp. 285-288
- Whittle H.C., Bradley A.K., McLauchlan K. et al. (1983): Hepatitis B virus infection in two Gambian villages. - Lancet, 1203–1206.
- WHO Weekly epidemiological record (1986). 61: 69–76.
- Perre, P., Rouvroy, D., Lepage, P. (1984) Acquired immunodeficiency syndrome in Rwanda. Lancet 2: pp. 62-65
- Perre, P., Clumeck, N., Steens, M. (1987) Seroepidemiological study on sexually transmitted diseases and hepatitis B in African promiscuous heterosexuals in relation to HTLV-III infection. Eur. J. Epidemiol. 3: pp. 14-18
- Evaluation of seroepidemiological associations between HIV-infection, hepatitis B and other sexually transmitted diseases in African patients
European Journal of Epidemiology
Volume 5, Issue 2 , pp 158-163
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Sexually transmitted diseases
- hepatitis B
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Institut für Virologie and Immunbiologie, Universität Würzburg, Germany
- 2. Institut für Medizinische Biometrie, Universitäat Tübingen, Germany
- 3. RMO, Government Hospital, Bukoba, Tanzania, Africa
- 4. St. Joseph Hospital, Kagondo, Tanzania, Africa
- 5. Missionsärztliches Institüt, Würzburg, Germany