At-large versus ward elections: Implications for public infrastructure
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
An earlier version of this paper was presented at the Public Choice Society Meetings in March 1989. The authors wish to acknowledge the valuable comments of Stephen Mehay and David Weimer. Partial funding was received from the Southeastern Massachusetts Research Committee.
- Averch, H. and Johnson, L. (1962). Behavior of the firm under regulatory constraint. American Economic Review 52 (December): 1052–1069.
- Bradford, E. (1911). Commission government in American cities. New York: Macmillan Press.
- Buchanan, J. and Tullock, G. (1962). The calculus of consent. Ann Arbor: University of Michigan Press.
- Faucett, J. (1977). Capital stock estimates for input-output industries: Methods and data. BLS Bulletin 2034 Washington, DC: U.S. Department of Labor.
- Goetz, C. (1977). Some influences of the form of political representation on majority rule fiscal choices. In P.B. Downing (Ed.), Local service pricing policies and their effect on urban spatial structure, 217–229. Victoria: University of British Columbia Press.
- Holcombe, R. and Zardkoohi, A. (1980). Public investment in a democracy. Southern Economic Journal 47 (July): 210–217.
- Kmenta, J. (1986). Elements of econometrics. New York: McMillan.
- McEachern, W. (1978). Collective decision rules and local debt choice: A test of the median-voter hypothesis. National Tax Journal 31 (June): 129–135.
- Mueller, D. (1979). Public choice. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
- Reid, G. (1987). Logrolling and the median voter: Pork barrel at the local level? Unpublished manuscript.
- Sanders, H. (1983). The government of American cities: Continuity and change in structure. In International City Management Association, Municipal yearbook 1983, 179–184. Washington, DC: ICMA.
- Theil, H. (1971). Principles of econometrics. New York: Wiley.
- Tullock, G. (1959). Problems of majority voting. Journal of Political Economy 67 (December): 571–579.
- Usher, D. (1980). Introduction. In D. Usher (Ed.), The measurement of capital, 1–21. Chicago: University of Chicago Press.
- Zax, J. (1985). Economic effects of municipal government institutions. National Bureau of Economic Research working paper No. 1657.
- At-large versus ward elections: Implications for public infrastructure
Volume 70, Issue 3 , pp 335-342
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors