Polar magnetic fields of the Sun: 1960–1971
- Robert Howard
- … show all 1 hide
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
Observations of the magnetic fields in the polar regions of the Sun are presented for the period 1960–1971. At the start of this interval the fields at the two poles were consistently of opposite sign and averaged around 1 G. Early in 1961 the field in the south decreased suddenly and the field in the north decreased in strength slowly over the next few years. By the mid-1960's the fields at both poles were quite weak and irregular. Throughout the period of these observations the fields at both poles often showed a remarkable tendency to vary in unison. About the middle of 1971 the north polar field became significantly positive, first at lower latitudes, then above 70 °. An autocorrelation analysis of the polar fields in the north shows a weak rotation peak, indicating significant ‘features’ in these regions. A comparison of field strengths in the east and west quadrants in the north suggests that even at the extreme polar latitudes the following polarity fields are inclined slightly toward the rotation and the preceding polarity field lines are inclined slightly to trail the rotation.
- Babcock, H. D.: 1959, Astrophys. J. 130, 364.
- Babcock, H. W.: 1953, Astrophys. J. 118, 387.
- Babcock, H. W.: 1961, Astrophys. J. 133, 572.
- Babcock, H. W. and Babcock, H. D.: 1955, Astrophys. J. 121, 349.
- Howard, R.: 1959, Astrophys. J. 130, 193.
- Howard, R.: 1963, in Annual Report of the Director, Mount Wilson and Palomar Observatories, in Carnegie Institution of Washington Year Book 62, p. 37.
- Howard, R.: 1965, in R. Lüst (ed.),‘Stellar and Solar Magnetic Fields’, IAU Symp. 22, 129.
- Howard, R. and Babcock, H. W.: 1960, Astrophys. J. 132, 218.
- Krause, F. and Rädler, K.-H.: 1971, in R. Howard (ed.), ‘Solar Magnetic Fields’, IAU Symp. 43, 770.
- Severny, A.: 1971, in R. Howard (ed.), ‘Solar Magnetic Fields’, IAU Symp. 43, 675.
- Waldmeier, M.: 1971, Solar Phys. 20, 332.
- Wilcox, J. M. and Howard, R.: 1970, Solar Phys. 13, 251.
- Polar magnetic fields of the Sun: 1960–1971
Volume 25, Issue 1 , pp 5-13
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Robert Howard (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Hale Observatories, Carnegie Institution of Washington, California Institute of Technology, 91101, Pasadena, Calif., U.S.A.