Turbulence structure of a tropical forest
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
A detailed analysis is presented of the horizontal wind fluctuations with periods 20 s to 1 hr, and their vertical structure as measured with light three-cup anemometers in a tropical forest environment. Information collected during the TREND (Tropical Environmental Data) experiment in a monsoon dominated region, was utilized. A special attempt was made to extract information relevant for dispersion modeling. Variability parameters within and above the forest canopy under different stability conditions were derived. A similar analysis was performed for a nearby clearing, to facilitate comparison between relatively smooth and rough surfaces, under identical ambient conditions. A limited sample of data (7 days) was utilized, initially, to develop a methodology to be later applied on a comprehensive data base, spanning the whole monsoon cycle.
- Allen, L. H., Jr.: 1968, ‘Turbulence and Wind Speed Spectra within a Japanese Larch Plantation’, J. Appl. Meteorol. 7, 73–78. CrossRef
- Beljaars, A. C. M.: 1982, ‘The Derivation of Fluxes from Profiles in Perturbed Areas’, Boundary-Layer Meteorol. 24, 35–55. CrossRef
- Cionco, R. M.: 1965, ‘A Mathematical Model for Air Flow in a Vegetative Canopy’, J. Appl. Meteorol. 4, 517–522. CrossRef
- Garratt, J. R.: 1980, ‘Surface Influences upon Vertical Profiles in the Atmospheric Near-Surface Layer’, Quart. J. R. Meteorol. Soc. 106, 803–819. CrossRef
- Holland, J. Z.: 1952, ‘The Diffusion Problem in Hilly Terrain’, Air Pollution, Proceedings of the United States Technical Conference on Air Pollution, McGraw-Hill, New York, 815–821.
- Kaimal, J. C., Eversole, R. A., Lenschow, D. H., Stankov, B. B., Kahn, P. L., and Businger, J. A.: 1982, ‘Spectral Characteristics of the Convective Boundary Layer over Uneven Terrain’, J. Atmos. Sci. 39, 1098–1114.
- Maitani, T.: 1979, ‘A Comparison of Turbulence Statistics in the Surface Layer over Plant Canopies with Those over Several Other Surfaces’, Boundary-Layer Meteorol. 17, 213–222. CrossRef
- McBean, G. A.: 1968, ‘An Investigation of Turbulence Within a Forest’, J. Appl. Meteorol. 7, 410–416. CrossRef
- Molion, L. C. B. and Moore, C. J.: 1983, ‘Estimating the Zero-Plane Displacement for Tall Vegetation Using a Mass Conservation Method’, Boundary-Layer Meteorol. 26, 115–125. CrossRef
- Panofsky, H. A.: 1984, ‘Vertical Variation of Roughness Length at the Boulder Atmospheric Observatory’, Boundary-Layer Meteorol. 28, 305–308. CrossRef
- Panofsky, H. A. and Dutton, J. A.: 1984, Atmospheric Turbulence Models and Methods for Engineering Applications, A Wiley-Interscience Publication, pp. 397.
- Pinker, R. T., 1980: ‘The Microclimate of a Dry Tropical Forest’, Agric. Meteorol. 22, 249–265. CrossRef
- Pinker, R. T., Thompson, O. E., and Eck, T. F.: 1980, ‘The Albedo of a Tropical Forest’, Quart. J. Roy. Meteorol. Soc. 106, 551–558. CrossRef
- Pinker, R. T. and Kaylor, R.: 1982, Data Reduction Summary for Project TREND (User's Manual). Part I: ‘D’ Tapes, Publication No. 92–197, Department of Meteorology, College Park, MD 20742, pp. 116.
- Pinker, R. T. and Moses, J. F.: 1982, ‘On the Canopy Flow Index of a Tropical Forest’, Boundary-Layer Meteorol. 22, 313–324. CrossRef
- Raupach, M. R.: 1979, ‘Anomalies in Flux-Gradient Relationships over Forest’, Boundary-Layer Meteorol. 16, 467–486. CrossRef
- Shaw, R. H., den Hartog, G., King, K. M., and Thurtell, G. W.: 1974, ‘Measurements of Mean Wind Flow and Three-Dimensional Turbulence Intensity Within a Mature Corn Canopy’, Agric. Meteorol. 13, 419–425. CrossRef
- Smith, F. G., Carson, D. J., and Oliver, H. R.: 1972, ‘Mean Wind-Direction Shear Through a Forest Canopy’, Boundary-Layer Meteorol. 3, 178–190. CrossRef
- Thom, A. S.: 1971, ‘Momentum Absorption by Vegetation’, Quart. J. R. Meteorol. Soc. 97, 414–428. CrossRef
- Thompson, O. E. and Pinker, R. T.: 1975, ‘Wind and Temperature Profile Characteristics in a Tropical Evergreen Forest in Thailand’, Tellus 27, 562–573. CrossRef
- Turbulence structure of a tropical forest
Volume 43, Issue 1-2 , pp 43-63
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links