Do prices reflect market fundamentals in real estate markets?
- Louis O. Scott
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The purpose of this article is to examine prices on land and REIT shares for possible evidence of deviations from market fundamentals, the underlying economic forces. Models of market fundamentals are developed from the intertemporal capital asset pricing model so that risk aversion and a stochastic investment opportunity set can be incorporated in the analysis. The approach in this article is to compare ex post values of actual discounted cash flows with prices and to test whether the price series are unbiased predictors of the future discounted cash flows. Several tests of the relationship are presented, and the results suggest that prices of real estate investment trusts and prices of farm land do not always reflect fundamental value.
- Campbell, John Y., Shiller, Robert J. (October 1987) Cointegration and Tests of Present Value Models. Journal of Political Economy 95: pp. 1062-1088
- Chamberlain, Gary (September 1983) Funds, Factors, and Diversification in Arbitrage Pricing Models. Econometrica 51: pp. 1305-1324
- Chamberlain, Gary, Rothschild, Michael (September 1983) Arbitrage, Factor Structure, and Mean-Variance Analysis on Large Asset Markets. Econometrica 51: pp. 1281-1304
- Durlauf, Steven N. and Hall Robert E. “Bounds on the Variances of Specification Errors in Models with Expectations.” Stanford University, November 1988.
- -Durlauf, Steven N. and Hall Robert E. “Measuring Noise in Stock Prices.” Stanford University, January 1989.
- Flood, Robert P., Hodrick, Robert J. (September 1986) Asset Price Volatility, Bubbles and Process Switching. Journal of Finance 41: pp. 831-842
- Grebler, Leo, Mittelbach, Frank G. (1979) The Inflation of House Prices: Its Extent, Causes and Consequences. Lexington Books, Lexington, MA
- Grossman, Sanford, Shiller, Robert J. (May 1981) The Determinants of the Variability of Stock Market Prices. American Economic Review 71: pp. 222-227
- Hannan, E.J. (1970) Multiple Time Series. John Wiley & Sons, New York
- Hoyt, Homer (1933) One Hundred Years of Land Values in Chicago: The Relationship of the Growth of Chicago to the Rise in its Land Values, 1830–1933. The University of Chicago Press, Chicago
- Johnson, Brace B. (December 1986) An Active Land Market in Perspective. Farm Real Estate Market Developments CD-71: pp. 27-33
- Kau, James B., Sirmans, C.F. (January 1984) Changes in Urban Land Values: 1836–1970. Journal of Urban Economics 15: pp. 18-25
- Kleidon, Allan W. (October 1986) Variance Bounds Tests and Stock Price Valuation Models. Journal of Political Economy 94: pp. 953-1001
- Kost, Willaim F. (May 1968) Rates of Return for Farm Real Estate and Common Stock. American Journal of Agricultural Economics 50: pp. 213-224
- LeRoy, Stephen F., Porter, Richard D. (May 1981) The Present-Value Relation: Tests Based on Implied Variance Bounds. Econometrica 49: pp. 555-574
- LeRoy, Stephen F., LaCivita, C.J. (October 1981) Risk Aversion and the Dispersions of Asset Prices. Journal of Business 54: pp. 535-547
- LeRoy, Stephen F. (March 1982) Expectations Models of Asset Prices: A Survey of Theory. Journal of Finance 37: pp. 185-218
- Lucas, Robert (November 1978) Asset Prices in an Exchange Economy. Econometrica 46: pp. 1429-1445
- Malkiel, Burton G. (1985) A Random Walk Down Wall Street. W. W. Norton & Company, New York
- Mankiw, Gregory N., Romer, David, Shapiro, Matthew D. (July 1985) An Unbiased Reexamination of Stock Market Volatility. Journal of Finance 40: pp. 677-687
- Marsh, Terry A., Merton, Robert C. (June 1986) Dividend Volatility and Variance Bounds Tests for Rationality of Stock Market Prices. American Economic Review 76: pp. 485-498
- Nerlove, Marc, Grether, David M., Carvolho, Jose L. (1979) Analysis of Economic Time Series: A Synthesis. Academic Press, New York
- Scofield, William H. (October 1964) Land Prices and Farm Earnings. Farm Real Estate Market Developments CD-66: pp. 39-47
- Scofield, William H. (August 1965) Land Returns and Farm Income. Farm Real Estate Market Developments CD-67: pp. 44-54
- Scott, Louis O. (November 1985) The Present Value Model of Stock Prices: Regression Tests and Monte Carlo Results. The Review of Economics and Statistics 67: pp. 599-605
- -Scott, Louis O., “Estimating the Marginal Rate of Substitution in the Intertemporal Capital Asset Pricing Model and Testing Stock Market Rationality.” The Review of Economics and Statistics, forthcoming (1989).
- Shiller, Robert J. (June 1981) Do Stock Prices Move Too Much to be Justified by Subsequent Changes in Dividends?. American Economic Review 71: pp. 421-436
- -Shiller, Robert J., “Consumption, Asset Markets and Macroeconomic Fluctuations.” National Bureau of Economic Research Working Paper No. 838, January 1982, and Carnegie-Rochester Conference Series, 1982.
- Summers, Lawrence H. (July 1986) Does the Stock Market Rationally Reflect Fundamental Value?. Journal of Finance 41: pp. 591-600
- Williams, John B. (1938) The Theory of Investment Value. Harvard University Press, Cambridge
- Do prices reflect market fundamentals in real estate markets?
The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics
Volume 3, Issue 1 , pp 5-23
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- REIT prices
- Industry Sectors
- Louis O. Scott (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Banking and Finance, Brooks Hall, University of Georgia, 30602, Athens, GA, USA