The 25 year estimated probability of death from some specific causes as a function of twelve risk factors in middle aged men
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Twelve risk factors previously identified as predictors of all causes of death in a 25-year follow-up of a sample of 1530 men aged 40–59 at entry, have been tested as predictors of specific causes of death. They were age (AGE), mean blood pressure (MBP), cigarette smoking (CIG), forced expiratory volume (FEV), arm circumference (ARM), father-life status (FHAS), mother-life status (MHOS), shoulder-pelvis ratio (SPR), vital capacity (VC), arcus senilis (ARCS), serum cholesterol (CHOL) and xantelasma (XANT). Using the proportional hazards model and considering coronary heart diseases, strokes, cancers, violent deaths, and other causes as end-points, AGE and MBP were significant predictors for all conditions, including violent deaths. CIG predicted coronary heart disease, stroke and cancer; FEV, VC, and ARM were protective for all end-points but significant only for a few of them. FHAS and MHOS were positively associated with all end-points but significant only for a few of them. ARCS and XANT were predictive for only a few conditions and, surprisingly, XANT was a significant risk factor for cancer. Finally CHOL was specifically predictive only for coronary heart disease.
- AndersonJ.T. and KeysA. (1956): Cholesterol in serum and lipoprotein fractions,: Its measurement and stability. - Clin. Chem. 2: 145–159.
- BeagleholeR., FoulkesM.A., PriorI.A.M. and EylesE.F. (1980): Cholesterol and mortality in New Zealand Maoris. - Br. Med. J. 1: 285–287.
- ContiS., FarchiG. and MenottiA. (1983): Coronary risk factors and excess mortality from all causes and specific causes. - Int. J. Epidemiol. 12: 301–307.
- CoxD.R. (1972): Regression models and life tables (with discussion). - J. R. Stat. Soc. 34: 187–220.
- CullenK., StenhouseN.S., WearneK.L. and WelbornT.A. (1983): Multiple regression of risk factors for cardiovascular disease and cancer mortality in Busselton, Western Australia — 13 year study. -J. Chron. Dis. 36: 371–377.
- DyerA.R., StamlerJ., BerksonD.M., LindbergH.A. and StevensE. (1975): High blood-pressure: A risk factor for cancer mortality? - Lancet 1: 1051–1064.
- DyerA.R., StamlerJ., BerksonD.M. and LindbergH.A. (1975): Relationship of relative weight and body mass index to 14 year mortality in the Chicago Peoples' Gas Company Study. - J. Chron. Dis. 28: 109–123.
- EpsteinF.H. and HollandW.W. (1983): Prevention of chronic diseases in the community: one-disease versus multiple-disease strategies. - Int. J. Epidemiol. 12: 135–137.
- FarchiG., MenottiA. and ContiS. (1987): Coronary risk factors and survival probability from coronary and other causes of death. - Am. J. Epidemiol. 126: 400–408.
- GlasunovI.S., GrabauskasV., HollandW.W. and EpsteinF.H. (1983): An integrated program for the prevention and control of noncomunicable diseases.- J. Chron. Dis. 36: 419–426.
- KeysA., AravanisC., BlackburnH., BuzinaR., DjordjevicB.S., DontasA.S., FidanzaF., KarvonenM.J., KimuraN., MenottiA., MohacekI., NedeljkovicS., PudduV., PunsarS., TaylorH.L. and VanBuchenF.S.P. (1980): Seven Countries. A multivariate analysis of Coronary Heart Disease and Death. Harvard University Press, Cambridge Mass, London.
- KeysA., MenottiA., AravanisC., BlackburnH., DjordjevicB.S., BuzinaR., DontasA.S., FidanzaF., KarvonenM.J., KimuraN., MohacekI., NedeljkovicS., PudduV., PunsarS., TaylorH.L., ContiS., KromhontD. and TushimaH. (1984): The Seven Countries. 2289. deaths in 15 years. - Prev. Med. 13: 141–154.
- KeysA., TaylorH.L., BlackburnH., BrozekJ., AndersonJ.T. and SimonsonE. (1971): Mortality and coronary heart disease among men studied for 23 years. - Arch. Intern. Med. 128: 201–214.
- KhawK.T. and Barrett-ConnorE. (1984): Systolic blood pressure and cancer mortality in an elderly population. - Am. J. Epidemiol. 120: 550–558.
- MenottiA. (1982): Coronary risk factors and mortality for coronary and non-coronary events. In: Lenzi S. and Descovich G.C. (Eds.). Atheroslerosis Clinical Evaluation and Therapy. MTP Press, Lancaster, Boston, The Hague.
- MenottiA., ContiS., DimaF., GiampaoliS., GiuliB., RumiA., SeccarecciaF. and SignorettiP. (1983): Prediction of all causes of death as a function of some factors commonly measured in cardiovascular population surveys. - Prev. Med. 12: 318–325.
- MenottiA., ContiS., GiampaoliS., MariottiS. and SignorettiP. (1980): Coronary risk factors predicting coronary and other causes of death in fifteen years. - Acta. Cardiol. 35: 107–120.
- MenottiA. and ContiS. (1982): Relazioni tra il livello di rischio coronarico quale espresso da una selezione di 36 fattori ed il rischio di altre condizioni morbose, - Ann. Ist. Sup. Sanità 18. 301–308.
- MenottiA., ContiS., GiampaoliS., MariottiS., RumiA. and SignorettiP. (1980): Prediction of Coronary and Other Causes of Death by Some Coronary Risk Factors. Rapporto ISTISAN 1980/14. Istituto Superiore di Sanità, Roma.
- MenottiA., MariottiS., SeccarecciaF., TorselloS. and DimaF. (1987): The determinants of all causes of death in samples of Italian middle-aged men followed-up for 25 years. - J. Epidemiol. Comm. Health. 41, 243–250.
- National Institute of Health (1980): Cholesterol and non-cardiovascular mortality. - JAMA 244, 25.
- RaynorW.J., ShekelleR.B., RossofA.H., MalizaC. and PaulO. (1980): High blood pressure and 17 year mortality in the Western Electric Health Study. - Am. J. Epidemiol. 113: 371–377.
- RoseG. and ShipleyM.J. (1980): Plasma lipids and mortality: a source of error. - Lancet 1, 523–526.
- ShurtleffD. (1974): Some characteristics related to the incidence of cardiovascular disease and death. Framingham Study, 18 year follow-up. Section 13. NIH Publication No. 74–599. Department of Health, Education and Welfare, Bethesda.
- The 25 year estimated probability of death from some specific causes as a function of twelve risk factors in middle aged men
European Journal of Epidemiology
Volume 4, Issue 1 , pp 60-67
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Risk factors
- Causes of death
- Multivariate analysis
- Industry Sectors