A procedure for determining average root length density in row crops by single-site augering
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
A simplified procedure has been formulated and tested for determining average root length density (RLD) by auger sampling at a single site in wheat, corn and mustard. It involves the determination of horizontal root distribution in the representative half of the unit soil strip (distance from base of plant to mid-point in the rows) by excavating small monolith segments in the top soil layer. Average RLD is computed by dividing the integral of polynomial function fitted to the horizontal root distribution (in the unit soil strip) with its length. The average RLD, thus, obtained is interpolated on the curve between root length density and horizontal distance from the plant base (d) in the representative half of the unit soil strip. Root length density determined by centering 5 cm diameter auger at the interpolated d gave minimum deviation from the average RLD of that layer compared to the other possible single site sampling schemes with same-sized auger. These results indicate that for row crops, the best centre for single-site augering is about one-third of distance from the plant base to mid-way between the two rows.
- Bohm, W 1979 Methods of Studying Root Systems, Springer-Verlag, Berlin, Hiedelberg, New York, 108p.
- Gajri, P R and Prihar, S S 1985 Rooting, water use and yield relations in wheat on loamy sand and sandy loam soils. Field Crops Res. 12, 115–132.
- Gajri, P R, Prihar, S S and Arora, V K 1989 Effect of nitrogen and early irrigation on root development and water use by wheat on two soils. Field Crops Res. 21, 103–114.
- Gregory, P J, McGowan, M, Biscoe, P V and Hunter, B 1978 Water relations of winter wheat. 1. Growth of the root system. J. Agric. Sci., Camb. 91, 91–102.
- Kumar, K, Prihar, S S and Gajri, P R 1993 Determination of root distribution of wheat by auger sampling. Plant and Soil 143, 245–253.
- Newman, E I 1966 A method of estimating the total length of roots in a sample. J. Appl. Ecol. 3, 139–145.
- Proffitt, A P B, Berliner, P R and Oosterhuis, D M 1985 A comparative study of root distribution and water extraction efficiency by wheat grown under high and low frequency irrigation. Agron. J. 77, 655–662.
- VanNoordwijk, M, Floris, J and DeJager, A 1985 Sampling schemes for estimating root density distribution in cropped fields. Netherlands J. Agric. Sci. 33, 241–262.
- Vepraskas, M J and Hoyt, G D 1988 Comparison of the trench profile and core methods for evaluating of root distribution in tillage studies. Agron. J. 80, 166–177.
- WardKathy, Klepper, J B, Rickman, B W and Allmaras, R R 1978 Quantitative estimation of living wheat root lengths in soil cores. Agron. J. 70, 675–677.
- Wilhelm, W W, Mielke, L N and Fenster, C R 1982 Root development of winter wheat as related to tillage practices in Western Nebraska. Agron. J. 74, 85–87.
- A procedure for determining average root length density in row crops by single-site augering
Plant and Soil
Volume 160, Issue 1 , pp 41-47
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- monolith sampling
- root length density
- root sampling technique
- row crops
- single-site augering
- Industry Sectors