A model of interplanetary and coronal magnetic fields
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
A model of the large-scale magnetic field structure above the photosphere uses a Green's function solution to Maxwell's equations. Sources for the magnetic field are related to the observed photospheric field and to the field computed at a ‘source’ surface about 0.6 R ⊙ above the photosphere. The large-scale interplanetary magnetic field sector pattern is related to the field pattern at this ‘source’ surface. The model generates magnetic field patterns on the ‘source’ surface that compare well with interplanetary observations. Comparisons are shown with observations of the interplanetary magnetic field obtained by the IMP-3 satellite.
- Bugoslavskaya, E. Y.: 1949, Publ. Sternberg Inst. No. 19.
- Davis, L.: 1965, in Stellar and Solar Magnetic Fields (ed. by R. Lüst), North-Holland Publ. Co., Amsterdam.
- Ness, N. F. and Wilcox, J. M.: 1964, Phys. Rev. Letters 13, 461.
- Newkirk, G. A.: 1967, Ann. Rev. Astron. Astrophys., Vol. 5, p. 213.
- Rust, D. M.: 1966, Thesis, University of Colorado, Boulder.
- Schatten, K. H., Ness, N. F., and Wilcox, J. M.: 1968, Solar Phys. 5, 240.
- Takakura, T.: 1966, Space Sci. Rev. 5, 80.
- Weber, E. J. and Davis, L.: 1967, Astrophys. J. 148, 217.
- Wilcox, J. M.: 1968, Space Sci. Rev. 8, 258.
- Wilcox, J. M. and Ness, N. F.: 1965, J. Geophys. Res. 70, 5793.
- Wilcox, J. M. and Howard, R.: 1968, Solar Phys. 5, 564.
- A model of interplanetary and coronal magnetic fields
Volume 6, Issue 3 , pp 442-455
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links