Detection of individual normal modes of oscillation of the Sun in the period range from 2 hr to 10 min in solar diameter studies
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
New observations of solar oscillations are reported. Power density spectra derived from these observations reveal narrow-band oscillations that are spatially global, have spatial symmetry properties that are either symmetric or antisymmetric for reflection about the center of the solar disk and also about the solar equator, and have coherence times ≳ 41 days. Large-scale differential refraction effects have been reduced by a factor of 105 over that found in previous solar diameter studies by the design of the experiment; thus, these effects are eliminated as a possible source of the oscillations. A discussion is presented of this reduction as well as other features of the observing and analysis program. It is concluded that the probability is very high that individual normal modes of oscillation of the Sun have been detected in the period range from 2 hr to 10 min.
- Brown, T. M., Stebbins, R. T., Hill, H. A. (1978) Astrophys. J. 223: pp. 324
- Caudell, T. P., Hill, H. A. (1980) Monthly Notices Roy. Astron. Soc. 193: pp. 381
- Caudell, T. P., Knapp, J., Hill, H. A., Logan, J. D. In: Hill, H. A., Dziembowski, W. A. eds. (1980) Nonradial and Nonlinear Stellar Pulsation. Springer-Verlag, Berlin
- Claverie, A., Isaak, G. R., McLeod, C. P., Raay, H. B., Roca Cortes, T. (1981) Nature 293: pp. 443
- Clayton, P. D.: 1973, ‘A Precise Measurement of the Sun's Visual Oblateness’, University of Arizona (Ph. D. Thesis).
- Dicke, R. H. Proceedings Informal Conference on Status and Future of Solar Neutrino Research. In: Friedlander, G. eds. (1978) BNL Report 50879, 2. Brookhaven National Laboratories, Upton, New York
- Fossat, E., Grec, G., Harvey, J. W. (1981) Astron. Astrophys. 94: pp. 95
- Gough, D. O.: 1978, Proceedings 2nd European Solar Meeting, Toulouse, France, March 8–10.
- Groth, E. J. (1975) Astrophys. J. Suppl. 29: pp. 286
- Hill, H. A. In: Eddy, J. A. eds. (1978) The New Solar Physics. Westview Press, Boulder, Colorado
- Hill, H. A., Caudell, T. P. (1979) Monthly Notices Roy. Astron. Soc. 186: pp. 327
- Hill, H. A., Stebbins, R. T. (1975) Astrophys. J. 200: pp. 471
- Hill, H. A., Stebbins, R. T., Oleson, J. R. (1975) Astrophys. J. 200: pp. 484
- Hill, H. A., Bos, R. J., Caudell, T. P. (1983) Solar Phys. 82: pp. 129
- Isaak, G. R. (1982) Nature 296: pp. 130
- Knapp, J., Hill, H. A., Caudell, T. P. Nonradial and Nonlinear Stellar Pulsation. In: Hill, H. A., Dziembowski, W. A. eds. (1980) Lecture Notes in Physics. Springer-Verlag, Berlin
- Oleson, J. R., Zanoni, C. A., Hill, H. A., Healy, A. W., Clayton, P. D., Patz, D. L. (1974) Appl. Opt. 13: pp. 206
- Patz, D. L.: 1975, ‘An Experimental Method to Determine Small Differences Between the Polar and Equatorial Solar Limb Profiles’, University of Arizona (Ph. D. thesis).
- Stratonovich, R. L. (1963) Topics in the Theory of Random Noise. Gordon and Breach Science Publishers, Inc., New York
- Detection of individual normal modes of oscillation of the Sun in the period range from 2 hr to 10 min in solar diameter studies
Volume 82, Issue 1-2 , pp 89-102
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links