Reservoir storage and containment of greenhouse gases
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
This paper deals with the problem of disposal of industrial waste greenhouse gases (CO2) into deep reservoirs. The simulator TOUGH2 was used to model the injection of 100 kg/s of CO2 for 10 years into an aquifer 3 km deep with the object of evaluating the long-term storage prospects for this gas. Depending on the permeability structure above the injection point, some gas may escape to the surface. In the most favourable case, all of the gas dissolves into the water, and the resulting dense fluid settles in the aquifer over several thousand years. Consequently, underground storage provides a promising sink for reducing CO2 emissions to the atmosphere.
- Adenekan, A. E., Patzek, T.W. and Pruess, K.: 1993, Modeling of multiphase transport of multicomponent organic contaminants and heat in the subsurface: numerical model formulation, Water Resour. Res. 29, 3727–3740.
- Anderson, G., Probst, A., Murray, L. and Butler, S.: 1992, An accurate PVT model for geothermal fluids as represented by H2O-CO2-NaCl mixtures, Proc. 17th Workshop on Geothermal Reservoir Engineering, Stanford University, January 1992.
- Corey, A. T.: 1977, Mechanics of Heterogeneous Fluids in Porous Media, Water Resources Publications, Fort Collins, USA.
- de Santis, R., Gironi, F. and Marrelli, L.: 1976, Vapor-liquid equilibrium from a hard-sphere equation of state. Ind. End. Chem. Fundam. 15, 183–189.
- Duan, Z., Moller, N. and Wear, J. H.: 1992, An equation of state for the system CH4-CO2-H2O system: I. Pure systems from 0 to 1000° and 0 to 8000 bar.
- Duan, Z., Moller, N. and Wear, J. H.: 1992, An equation of state for the system CH4-CO2-H2O system: II. Mixtures from 50 to 1000° and 0 to 8000 bar.
- Fuller, G. G.: 1976, A modified Redlich-Kwong equation of state capable of representing the liquid state, Ind. Eng. Chem. Fundam. 15, 254–257.
- Hendriks, C. S. and Blok, K.: 1994, Costs of underground storage of carbon dioxide, ICCDR-2, Kyoto, October 1994.
- Hirschfelder, J. O. and Curtiss, C. F.: 1954, Molecular Theory of Gases, Wiley, New York.
- Hort, T., Jensen, J. and Lindeberg, E.: 1995, Underground storage of CO2 in aquifers and oil reservoirs. Proceedings of the Second International Conference on Carbon Dioxide Removal, Kyoto, Japan, 24–27 October, 1994.
- Kerrick, D. M. and Jacobs, G. K.: 1981, A modified Redlich-Kwong equation for H2O,CO2 and H2O-CO2 mixtures at elevated pressures and temperatures, Amer. J. Sci. 281.
- Kondo, J., Inui, T. and Wasa, K.: 1994, Proceedings of the second international conference on carbon dioxide removal, Energy Conversion and Management, 36, 6–9.
- Korbol, R.: 1995, Sleipner Vest CO2 Disposal: Injection of extracted CO2 into the Utsira formation, Proceedings of the Second International Conference on Carbon Dioxide Removal, Kyoto, Japan, 24–27 October, 1994.
- L'vovich, M. I.: 1979, World Water Resources and their Future, AGU Translation Board (Publisher), 15.
- Ohgaki, K., Makihara, Y. and Tokano, K.: 1993, Formation of CO2 hydrate in pure and sea waters, J. Chem. Eng. Japan 26(6), 554–564.
- Ohgaki, K. and Akano, T.: 1992, Energy and Resources (in Japanese) 13, 375–383.
- O'Sullivan, M. J., Bodvarsson, G. S., Pruess, K. and Blakeley, M. R.: 1985, Fluid and heat flow in gas-rich geothermal reservoirs, Soc. Pet. Eng. J. 25, 215–225.
- Patel, M. R. and Eubank, P. T.: 1988, Experimental densities and derived thermodynamic properties for carbon dioxide-water mixtures, J. Chem. Eng. Data 33, 185–193.
- Peng, D. and Robinson, D. B.: 1976, A new two-constant equation of state, Ind. Eng. Chem. Fundamentals 15, 59–64.
- Prausnitz, J. M.: 1969, Molecular Thermodynamics of Fluid-Phase Equilibria, Prentice-Hall Inc., Englewood Cliffs, New Jersey, p. 41.
- Pruess, K.: 1987, Tough user's guide, Report NUREG/CR-4645, Nucl. Reg. Comm., Washington, D.C.
- Pruess, K.: 1991, TOUGH2 - A General-purpose numerical simulator for multiphase fluid and heat flow, Report LBL-29400, Lawrence Berkeley Laboratory.
- Redlich, O. and Kwong, J. N. S.: 1949, On the thermodynamics of solutions V. An equation of state. Fugacities of gaseous solutions, Chem. Rev. 44, 233–244.
- Sarmiento, J. L.: 1993, Nature 365, 697–698.
- Soave, G.: 1972, Equilibrium constants from a modified Redlich-Kwong equation of state, Chem. Eng. Sci. 27, 1197–1203.
- Steinberg, M., Cheng, H. C. and Horn, F.: 1995, A system study for the removal, recovery and disposal of carbon dioxide from fossil fuel plants in the US, Brookhaven National Laboratory.
- Sweigert, R. L., Weber, P. and Allen, R. L.: 1946, Thermodynamic properties of gases: carbon dioxide, Ind. Eng. Chem. 38.
- Takenouchi, G. C. and Kennedy, G. C.: 1964, The binary system H2O-CO2 at high temperatures and pressures, Amer. J. Sci. 262.
- UK Steam Tables in SI Units: 1970, Edward Arnold, London.
- Vesovic, V., Wakeham, W. A., Olchowy, G. A., Sengers, J. V., Watson, J. T. R. and Millat, J: 1990, The transport properties of carbon dioxide, J. Phys. Chem. Ref. Data 19(3).
- Zawisza, A. and Malesinska, B.: 1981, Solubility of carbon dioxide in liquid water and of water in gaseous carbon dioxide in the range 0.2–5 Mpa and at temperatures up to 473°K, J. Chem. Eng. Data 26, 388–391.
- Reservoir storage and containment of greenhouse gases
Transport in Porous Media
Volume 23, Issue 1 , pp 37-60
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- carbon dioxide
- reservoir storage
- greenhouse gases
- Industry Sectors