Prevalence of anti-HCV in subjects of various age groups
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
812 serum samples from 382 males and 430 females from various age groups were examined. All the samples were tested for anti-HCV hepatitis C virus, anti-HBc and HBsAg with an enzymeimmunnassay. The total serum prevalence was 2.9% for anti-HVC, 22.2% for anti-HBc and 4.6% for HBsAg. The seropositivity rates of anti-HCV and anti-HBc tended to increase with age, while for HBsAg a more regular pattern was observed for the different subject groups. The fact that anti-HCV are more frequently found together with HBV markers confirms the existence of similar modes of transmission of the two viruses.
- Albano A., Pianetti A., Biffi M.R., et al. (1990): Aspetti attuali dell'epatite non-A non-B. Igiene e Sanità Pubblica 46: 265–296.
- Alter H.J., Purcell R.H., Shih J.W., et al. (1989): Detection of antibody to hepatitis C virus in prospectively followed transfusion recipients with acute and chronic non-A, non-B hepatitis. N. Engl. J. Med. 321: 1494–1500.
- Alter M.J., Coleman P.J., Alexander W.J., et al. (1989): Importance of heterosexual activity in the transmission of hepatitis B and non-A, non-B hepatitis. JAMA 262: 1201–1205.
- Caviglia G., Rosso C., Vallauri P., et al. (1989): Anti-HCV in blood donors of Turin. 1st International Meeting on Hepatitis C virus. September 14–15, Rome.
- Choo Q.J., Kuo G., Weiner A.J., et al. (1989): Isolation of cDNA clone derived from a blood-borne non-A, non-B viral hepatitis genome. Science 244: 359–362.
- Kamitsukasa H., Harada H., Yakura M., et al. (1989): Intrafamilial transmission of hepatitis C virus. Lancet ii: 987.
- Kuo G., Choo Q.J., Alter H.J., et al. (1989): An assay for circulating antibodies to a major etiologic virus of human non-A, non-B hepatitis. Science 244:362–364.
- Mazzei C., Imberciadori G., Saccone F., et al. (1990): Prevalence of anti-HCV antibodies in drug addicts, blood donors and general population in an area of west Liguria. International Symposium on Progress and Prospects in Viral Hepatitis. February 15–17, Bari.
- Reesink H.W., Wong V.C.W., Ip H.M.H., et al. (1990): Mother-to-infant transmission and hepatitis C virus. Lancet. 335: 1216–1217.
- Rivasi P., Lindner L., Repetti L., et al. (1990): Study on anti-HCV frequencies in a group of blood donors of Reggio Emilia. International Symposium on Progress and Prospects in Viral Hepatitis. February 15–17, Bari.
- Sirchia G., Bellobuono A., Giovanetti A. and Marconi M. (1989): Antibodies to hepatitis C in Italian blood donors. Lancet. ii: 797.
- Van der Poel C.L., Lelie P.M., Mauser-Bunschoten E.P. and Reesink H. W. (1989): Anti-HCV antibodies in risk groups and blood donors. 1st International Meeting on Hepatitis C virus. September 14–15, Rome.
- Prevalence of anti-HCV in subjects of various age groups
European Journal of Epidemiology
Volume 8, Issue 2 , pp 309-311
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- General population
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Institute of Virology, University of Milan, Via Pascal, 38, 20133, Milano, Italy
- 2. Institute of Toxicologic, Hygienic and Environmental Science, University of Urbino, Italy
- 3. Institute of Hygiene, University of Milan, Italy