Lead exposure in Saudi Arabia and its relationship to smoking
- Iman A. Al-Saleh
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Lead was determined in whole blood samples obtained from 202 Saudi male volunteers. The influence of smoking on lead exposure was investigated. Blood lead was significantly higher in current smokers than in non-smokers and previous smokers (P< 0.05). The distribution of blood lead data in the screened subjects suggested the eixstence of two mixed populations and a cut-off of 12 μg dl −1 was found where the two populations separate. Of the exposed population, 80% with blood lead concentrations above 12 μg dl−1 were smokers.
- Al-Saleh I. 1990 Investigations of the prevalence and sources of lead exposure in Saudi Arabia. PhD Thesis. University of Surrey, Guildford, UK.
- Al-Saleh I, Taylor A. 1994 Lead concentrations in the atmosphere and soil of Riyadh, Saudi Arabia. Sci Total Environ 141, 261–267.
- Bener A. 1987 Smoking habits among male students at King Saud University. Journal of the Royal Society of Health 1, 28–30.
- Chiba M, Masironi R. 1992 Toxic and trace elements in tobacco and tobacco smoke. Bull WHO 70, 269–275.
- Elinder CG, Friberg L, Birger L, Jawaid M. 1983 Lead and cadmium levels in blood samples from the general population of Sweden. Environ Res 30, 233–253.
- Grandjean P, Olsen NB, Hollnagel H. 1981 Influence of smoking and alcohol consumption on blood lead levels. Int Arch Occup Environ Health 48, 391–397.
- Hense H, Filipiak B, Novak L, Stoeppler M. 1992 Nonoccupational determinants of blood lead concentrations in a general population. Int J Epidemiol 21, 753–762.
- Mahaffey KR, Annest L, Robersts J, Murphy RS. 1982 National estimates of blood lead levels: United States, 1976–1980: association with selected demographic and socioeconomic factors. N Engl J Med 307, 573–579.
- McIntosh MJ, Moore MR, Goldberg GS, Fell GS, Cunningham C, Halls DJ. 1982 Studies of lead and cadmium exposure in Glasgow, U.K. Ecol Dis 1, 177–184.
- McLaughlin M, Stopps GJ. 1973 Smoking and lead. Arch Environ Health 26, 131–136.
- National Academy of Sciences. 1980 Committee on Lead in the Human Environment, Washington, DC: NAS.
- Pocock SJ, Shaper AG, Walker M, et al. 1983 Effects of tap water lead, water hardness, alcohol, and cigarettes on blood lead concentrations. J Epidemiol Commun Health 37, 1–7.
- Shaper AG, Pocock SJ, Walker M, et al. 1982 Effects of alcohol and smoking on blood lead in middle-aged British men. Br Med J 284, 299–302.
- Statgraphics Software. 1987 Statistical graphics system by statistical graphics corporation. A PLUS*WARE software product. STSC, Inc.
- Taylor A. 1988 The use of internal quality control materials for the preparation and maintenance of reliable methods for the measurement of lead in blood. Fresesius Z Anal Chem 332, 732–735.
- World Health Organization. 1977 Environmental Health Criteria. Lead. Geneva: WHO.
- Willers S, Attewell R, Bensryd I, Schutz A, Skarping G, Vahter M. 1992 Exposure to environmental tobacco smoke in the household and urinary cotinine excretion, heavy metals retention, and lung function. Arch Environ Health 47, 357–363.
- Zielhuis RL, Stuik EJ, Herber RFM, et al. 1977 Smoking habits and levels of lead and cadmium in blood in urban women. Int Arch Occup Environ Health 39, 53–58.
- Lead exposure in Saudi Arabia and its relationship to smoking
Volume 8, Issue 3 , pp 243-245
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- Iman A. Al-Saleh (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Biological and Medical Research Department, King Faisal Specialist Hospital and Research Centre, Riyadh, Saudi Arabia