Husserl and the representational theory of mind
- Ronald McIntyre
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Husserl has finally begun to be recognized as the precursor of current interest in intentionality — the first to have a general theory of the role of mental representations in the philosophy of language and mind. As the first thinker to put directedness of mental representations at the center of his philosophy, he is also beginning to emerge as the father of current research in cognitive psychology and artificial intelligence.
- Bach, Kent: 1982, ‘De re belief and methodological solipsism’, in Andrew Woodfield (ed.), Thought and Object: Essays on Intentionality, Clarendon Press, Oxford, pp. 121–151.
- Churchland, Paul M. and Patricia Smith Churchland: 1981, ‘Functionalism, qualia, and intentionality’, Philosophical Topics 12, 121–145.
- Cummins, Robert: 1983, The Nature of Psychological Explanation, MIT Press, Cambridge.
- Dretske, Fred: 1985, ‘Machines and the mental’, Proceedings and Addresses of the American Philosophical Association 59, 23–33. CrossRef
- Dreyfus, Hubert L. (ed.): 1982, Husserl, Intentionality, and Cognitive Science, MIT Press/Bradford Books, Cambridge.
- Emmett, Kathleen: 1983, ‘Phenomenology and cognitive science: Should you be reading Husserl?’, Cognition and Brain Theory 6, 509–516.
- Fodor, J. A.: 1980, “Methodological solipsism considered as a research strategy in cognitive psychology”, The Behavioral and Brain Sciences 3, 63–73; reprinted in Dreyfus (1982), pp. 277–303. CrossRef
- Fodor, J. A.: 1981, ‘The mind-body problem”, Scientific American 244, 114–123. CrossRef
- Fodor, J. A.: 1984, ‘Mental representation: An introduction’, photocopy; colloquium presentation at the University of California, Irvine, 1984.
- Fodor, J. A.: 1985, ‘Fodor's guide to mental representation: The intelligent auntie's vade-mecum’, Mind 94, 76–100. CrossRef
- Husserl, Edmund: 1900, Logical Investigations, trans. by J. N. Findlay, Humanities Press, New York, 1970. [Original German edition, 1900–1901.] CrossRef
- Husserl, Edmund: 1913, Ideen zu einer reinen Phänomenologie und phänomenologischen Philosophie, Drittes Buch; 1950 edition (Husserliana V), ed. Marly Biemal, Nijhoff, The Hague. [Original German edition, 1913. English trans. by F. Kersten, Nijhoff, The Hague, 1982.]
- Husserl, Edmund: 1925, Phenomenological Psychology, trans. by John Scanlon, Nijhoff, The Hague, 1962. [Lectures delivered by Husserl in 1925.]
- Husserl, Edmund: 1929, Formal and Transcendental Logic, trans. by Dorion Cairns, Nijhoff, The Hague, 1969. [Original German edition, 1929.]
- Husserl, Edmund: 1931, Cartesian Meditations, trans. by Dorion Carins, Nijhoff, The Hague, 1960. [Original edition, in French, 1931.]
- Husserl, Edmund: 1954, The Crisis of European Sciences and Transcendental Phenomenology, trans. by David Carr, North-western University Press, Evanston, Ill., 1970. [Original German edition, 1954, posthumus.]
- McGinn, Colin: 1982, ‘The structure of content’, in Andrew Woodfield (ed.), Thought and Object: Essays on Intentionality, Clarendon Press, Oxford, pp. 207–258.
- McIntyre, Ronald: 1984, ‘Searle on intentionality’, Inquiry 27, 468–483. CrossRef
- Putnam, Hilary: 1975, ‘The meaning of meaning’, in his Philosophical Papers, Vol II: Mind, Language and Reality, Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, pp. 215–271. CrossRef
- Searle, John R.: 1983, Intentionality: An Essay in The Philosophy of Mind, Cambridge University Press, Cambridge.
- Searle, John R.: 1984, ‘Intentionality and its place in nature’, Synthese 61, 3–16. CrossRef
- Smith, David Woodruff: 1984, ‘Content and context of perception’, Synthese 61, 61–87. CrossRef
- Smith, David Woodruff and McIntyre, Ronald: 1982, Husserl and Intentionality: A Study of Mind, Meaning, and Language, Reidel, Dordrecht.
- Stich, Stephen: 1983, From Folk Psychology to Cognitive Science: The Case Against Belief, MIT Press/Bradford Books, Cambridge.
- Husserl and the representational theory of mind
Volume 5, Issue 2 , pp 101-113
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer Netherlands
- Additional Links
- Ronald McIntyre (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Philosophy, California State University, Northridge, 91330, Northridge, CA, USA