Production of ethanol by the thermotolerant yeastKluyveromyces marxianus IMB3 during growth on lactose-containing media
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The thermotolerant yeast strain,Kluyveromyces marxianus IMB3 was shown to be capable of growth and ethanol production on lactose containing media at 45°C. On media containing 4% (w/v) lactose, ethanol production increased to 6.0g/l within 50h and this represented 29% of theoretical yield. During growth on lactose containing media the organism was shown to produce a cell-associated β-galactosidase and no significant enzyme could be detected in the extracellular culture filtrate. Addition of β-galactosidase, released fromKluyveromyces marxianus IMB3 cells, to active fermentations, resulted in increasing ethanol production to 53% of theoretical yield at 45°C.
- Banat, I.M., Nigram, P. & Marchant, R. (1992) World J. of Microbiol. Biotech.8, 259–263. CrossRef
- Bradford, M. (1976) Anal. Biochem.72, 248–254. CrossRef
- Fleming, M., Barron, N., McHale, L., Marchant, R. & McHale, A.P. (1993) Biotech. Lett.15, 1195–1198.
- Goncalves, J.A. & Castillo, J. (1981) J. Dairy Sci.65, 2088–2094.
- Mahmoud, M.M. & Kosikowski, F.V. (1982) J. Dairy Sci.65, 2082–2087. CrossRef
- Mahoney, R.R. & Whitaker, J.R. (1978) J. Food Sci.43, 584–591.
- Mawson, A.J. (1987) Australian J. Biotechnol.1, 64–67.
- Vienne, P. & von Stockar, U. (1985) Biotechnol. Lett.,7, 521–526. CrossRef
- Production of ethanol by the thermotolerant yeastKluyveromyces marxianus IMB3 during growth on lactose-containing media
Volume 16, Issue 7 , pp 737-740
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors