Approval voting and strategy analysis: A Venetian example
- Marji Lines
- … show all 1 hide
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
The author presents a historic reconstruction of the single-member constituency election system known as approval voting which was used to elect Venetian dogi for over 500 years. An interesting procedure theoretically, concurrent approval voting is the only sincere single-winner election system. Central issues concerning strategy choice under uncertainty are investigated using a contingency-dependent framework of individual behavior given prior probability distributions over decision relevant propositions. Extensions are then proposed for the use of approval procedures in modern elections and other collective decision-making situations. Finally the advantages of trichotomous preferences in decision and strategy analysis are argued.
Supplementary Material (0)
- Arrow, K.: 1963,Social Choice and Individual Values, 2nd ed., Wiley, New York.
- Brams, S. J. and Fishburn, P. C.: 1978, ‘Approval Voting’,American Political Science Review 72, 831–847.
- Brams, S. J. and Fishburn, P. C.: 1981, ‘Efficacy, Power, and Equity under Approval Voting’,Public Choice 37, 425–434.
- Brams, S. J. and Fishburn, P. C.: 1983, ‘America's Unfair Elections’,The Sciences, Dec.
- Brams, S. J. and Fishburn, P. C.: 1983,Approval Voting, Birkhauser, Boston.
- Marquis de Condorcet: 1785,Essai sur l'application de l'analyse à la probabilité des décisions rendues à la pluralité des voix, Paris.
- Finlay, R.: 1980,Politics in Renaissance Venice, Ernest Benn, London.
- Harsanyi, J. C.: 1986, ‘Practical Certainty and the Acceptance of Empirical Statements’, inRecent Developments in the Foundations of Utility and Risk Theory, D. Reidel, Dordrecht (to appear).
- Maranini, B.: 1931,La Costituzione di Venezia, Dopo la Serrata del Maggior Consiglio, Venezia.
- da Mosto, A.: 1977,I Dogi di Venezia, Nella Vila Pubblica e Privata, Firenze.
- Norwich, J. J.: 1983,A History of Venice, Penguin Books, Suffolk.
- Romanin, S.: 1912,Storia Documentata di Venezia, 2nd ed., Vol. 2, G. Fuga (ed.), Venezia.
About this Article
- Approval voting and strategy analysis: A Venetian example
Theory and Decision
Volume 20, Issue 2 , pp 155-172
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- Marji Lines (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Facoltà di Economia e Commercio Ca Foscari, Universita Degli Studi di Venezia, 30123, Venice, Italy