Climatic variability on the scale of decades to centuries
- Charles W. Stockton
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Climatic variations in the range of 10 to 100 years duration are perhaps of greatest consequence to mankind because; (1) they have a tendency to be regional in nature, (2) they affect third-world countries as well as more developed countries, and (3) they prevail over the planning horizons used in water resources, agriculture and many other disciplines. Documentation of the range of variability experienced regionally for various regions in the western United States as well as North Africa are examined. The recent high water-levels of the Great Salt Lake and other lakes in the Western United States and the prolonged recent drought in North Africa are examples discussed in detail.
- Cess, R. D.: 1978, ‘Biosphere-Albedo Feedback, and Climate Modeling’, J. of Atmos. Sci. 35, 1765–1768.
- Charney, J. G.: 1975, ‘Dynamics of Deserts and Drought in Sahel’, Quat. J. of the Royal Meteor. Soc. 101, 193.
- Changnon, S. A. Jr.: 1983, ‘Trends in Floods and Related Climatic Conditions in Illinois’, Climatic Change 5, 341–363.
- Guerrero-Salazar, P. L. A. and Yevjevich, V.: 1975, ‘Analysis of Drought Characteristics by the Theory of Runs’, Hydrology Paper No. 80, Colo. State Univ., Ft. Collins, CO.
- Hamming, R. W.: 1977, Digital Filters, Prentice-Hall, Englewood Cliffs, NJ.
- Kay, P. A. and Diaz, H. F.: 1985, ‘Problems of and Prospects for Predicting Great Salt Lake Levels’, Conference Proceedings, Center for Public Affairs and Administration, University of Utah.
- Kilmartin, R. F.: 1980, ‘Hydroclimatology - A Needed Cross-Discipline’, in Proc. of the Eng. Foundation Conf. on Improved Hydrologic Forecasting Why and How, Amer. Soc. of Civil Eng., 160–198.
- Langbein, W. B. and Slack, J. R.: 1980, ‘Patterns of Regional and National Streamflow’, U.S.G.S. Open-File Rpt, 27 pp.
- Mitchell, J. M. Jr., Stockton, C. W., and Meko, D. M.: 1979, ‘Evidence of 22-Year Rhythm of Drought in the Western United States Related to the Hale Solar Cycle Since the 17th Century’, in B. M. McCormac and T. A. Seliga (eds.), Proc. of Ohio State Univ. Sym./Workshop on Solar-Terrestrial Influence on Weather and Climate, D. Reidel Pub. Co., Dordrecht, Netherlands, pp. 125–143.
- Smith, W. P.: 1986, ‘Reconstruction of Precipitation in Northeastern Nevada Using Tree-Rings, 1600–1982’, J. of Clim. and Appl. Meteor. 25, 1255–1263.
- Stockton, C. W: 1985, ‘Long-Term Reconstruction of Drought in Morocco’, Unpublished Report submitted to His Majesty the King of Morocco, Hassan II.
- Thomas, H. E. and others: 1962, ‘Drought in the Southwest, 1942–56’, USGS Prof. Paper 372. U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, St. Paul, Minnesota - personal communication.
- Climatic variability on the scale of decades to centuries
Volume 16, Issue 2 , pp 173-183
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Laboratory of Tree-Ring Research, University of Arizona, 85721, Tucson, AZ, USA