A portfolio of risk measures
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
A comprehensive set of sixteen measures of willingness to take risks has been developed. This set includes measures from three categories: measures from standardized risky situations having an underlying theory of risk, measures inferred from revealed choices in financial decisions, and measures derived from attitudes. A study of over 500 top-level business executives shows significant relationships within categories, but relatively little relationship across categories. Context differences, especially personal versus business situations and opportunities versus threats, underlie the responses.
- Alderfer, C. P. and Bierman, H. Jr.: 1970, ‘Choices with risk: beyond the mean and variance’, Journal of Business, 43, 341–353.
- Arrow, K. J.: 1951, Social Choice and Individual Values, Wiley, New York.
- Arrow, K. J.: 1971, Essays in the Theory of Risk-Bearing, Markham Publishing Co., Chicago.
- Bassler, J. F.: 1972, ‘The consistency of risk attitudes in decision making under uncertainty’, Ph.D. dissertation, Carnegie-Mellon University.
- Bassler, J. F., MacCrimmon, K. R., and Stanbury, W. T.: 1973, ‘Risk attitudes of U.S. and Canadian top managers’, a paper presented at the meeting of the Fourth International Conference on Subjective Probability, Utility and Decision Making, Rome.
- Bassler, J. F., MacCrimmon, K. R., Stanbury, W. T., and Wehrung, D. A.: 1978, ‘Multiple criteria dominance models: an empirical study of investment preferences’, in S. Zionts (ed.) Multiple Criteria Problem Solving, Springer-Verlag, Berlin.
- Brichacek, V.: 1968, ‘Comparative analysis of decision processes’, Ceskoslovenska Psychologie, 12, 456–460.
- Campbell, D. T. and Fiske, D. W.: 1959, ‘Convergent and discriminant validation by the multitrait-multimethod matrix’, Psychological Bulletin, 56, 81–105.
- Cohn, R. A., Lewellen, W. G., Lease, R. C., and Schlarbaum, G. G.: 1975, ‘Individual investor risk aversion and investment portfolio composition’, Journal of Finance, 30, 605–620.
- Cummings, L. L., Harnett, D. L., and Stevens, O. J.: 1971, ‘Risk, fate, conciliation and trust: an international study of attitudinal differences among executives’, Academy of Management Journal, 14, 285–304.
- Fischhoff, B., Lichtenstein, S., Slovic, P., Derby, S., and Keeney, R.: 1981, Acceptable Risk, Cambridge University Press, New York.
- Frederiksen, N., Saunders, D. R., and Wand, B.: 1957, ‘The in-basket test’, Psychological Monographs: General and Applied, 71, 438.
- Greene, M. R.: 1963, ‘Attitudes toward risk and a theory of insurance consumption’, Journal of Insurance, 30, 165–182.
- Greene, M. R.: 1964, ‘Insurance mindedness - applications for insurance theory’, Journal of Risk and Insurance, 31, 27–38.
- Hammond, J. D., Houston, D. B., and Melander, E. R.: 1967, ‘Determinants of household life insurance premium expenditures: an empirical investigation’, Journal of Risk and Insurance, 34, 397–408.
- Hershey, J. C., Kunreuther, H. C., and Schoemaker, P. J. H.: 1982, “Sources of bias in assessment procedures for utility functions”, Management Science, 28, 936–954.
- Hershey, J. C. and Schoemaker, P. J. H.: 1985, ‘Probability vs. certainty equivalence methods in utility measurement: are they equivalent?’ Management Science, forthcoming.
- Higbee, K. L.: 1971, ‘Expression of ‘Walter Mitty-ness’ in actual behavior’, Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 20, 416–422.
- Jackson, D. N., Hourany, L. and Vidmar, N. J.: 1972, ‘A four-dimensional interpretation of risk taking’, Journal of Personality, 40, 483–501.
- Kahneman, D. and Tversky, A.: 1979, ‘Prospect theory: an analysis of decision under risk’, Econometrica, 47, 263–291.
- Kogan, N. and Wallach, M. A.: 1964, Risk Taking: A Study in Cognition and Personality, Holt, Rinehart and Winston, New York.
- Kogan, N. and Wallach, M. A.: 1967, ‘Risk taking as a function of the situation, the person, and the group’, in G. Mandler (ed.) New Directions in Psychology, III, Holt, Rinehart and Winston, New York.
- Kunreuther, H., Linnerooth, J., Lathrop, J., Atz, H., MacGill, S., Mandl, C., Schwartz, M., and Thompson, M.: 1983, Risk Analysis and Decision Processes: The Siting of LEG Facilities in Four Countries, Springer-Verlag, New York.
- Laughhunn, D. J., Payne, J. W., and Crum, R.: 1980, ‘Managerial risk preferences for below target returns’, Management Science, 26, 1238–1249.
- MacCrimmon, K. R. and Wehrung, D. A.: 1984, ‘The Risk In-Basket’, Journal of Business, 57, 367–387.
- MacCrimmon, K. R. and Wehrung, D. A.: 1985, Taking Risks: The Management of Uncertainty, Free Press, New York, forthcoming.
- Maehr, M. L. and Videbeck, R.: 1968, ‘Predisposition to risk and persistence under varying reinforcement-success schedules’, Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 9, 96–100.
- Markowitz, H. M.: 1952, ‘Portfolio selection’, Journal of Finance, 7, 77–91.
- Markowitz, H. M.: 1959, Portfolio Selection, Wiley, New York.
- Pratt, J. W.: 1964, ‘Risk aversion in the small and in the large’, Econometrica, 32, 122–136.
- Rotter, J. B.: 1966, ‘Generalized expectancies for internal versus external control of reinforcement’, Psychological Monographs, 80, 1–28.
- Shure, G. H. and Meeker, R. J.: 1967, ‘A personality/attitude schedule for use in experimental bargaining studies’, Journal of Psychology, 65, 233–252.
- Slovic, P.: 1962, ‘Convergent validation of risk taking measures’, Journal of Abnormal and Social Psychology, 65, 68–71.
- Slovic, P.: 1964, ‘Assessment of risk taking behavior’, Psychological Bulletin, 61, 220–233.
- Slovic, P.: 1972, ‘Information processing, situation specificity, and the generality of risk-taking behavior’, Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 22, 128–134.
- Slovic, P., Fischhoff, B., and Lichtenstein, S.: 1980, ‘Perceived risk’, in R. C. Schwing and W. A. Albers Jr. (eds.) Societal Risk Assessment: How Safe is Safe Enough? Plenum, New York.
- Stoner, A. F. J.: 1961, ‘A comparison of individual and group decisions involving risk’, Master's Thesis, M.I.T.
- Watts, H. W. and Tobin, J.: 1967, ‘Consumer expenditures and the capital account’, in D. D. Hester and J. Tobin (eds.), Studies of Portfolio Behavior, Wiley, New York, 1–39.
- Wehrung, D. A., MacCrimmon, K. R., and Brothers, K. M.: 1984, ‘Utility assessment: domains, stability, and equivalence procedures’, Canadian Journal of Operational Research and Information Processing, 22, 98–115.
- Weinstein, E. and Martin, J.: 1969, ‘Generality of willingness to take risks’, Psychological Reports, 24, 499–501.
- Weinstein, M. S.: 1969, ‘Achievement motivation and risk preference’, Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 13, 153–172.
- Zuckerman, M., Kolin, E. A., Price, L., and Zoob, I.: 1964, ‘Development of a sensation-seeking scale’, Journal of Consulting Psychology, 28, 477–482.
- A portfolio of risk measures
Theory and Decision
Volume 19, Issue 1 , pp 1-29
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors