Continuous high rate production of ethanol by Zymomonas mobilis in an attached film expanded bed fermentor
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Experiments were conducted with Zymomonas mobilis in an attached film expanded bed (AFEB) fermentor at different dilution rates, using a feed glucose concentration of 100 gm/l. Vermiculite was used as the bed material for attachment of the bacterial film. Ethanol volumetric productivities were maximum at a dilution rate of 3.6hr-1. The productivities were 105 gm/l-hr and 210 gm/l-hr based on total fermentor volume and bed volume, respectively.
- Arcuri, E.J., Worden, R.M., Shumate, S.E. (1980) Ethanol Production by Immobilized Cells of Zymonomas Mobilis. Biotechnology Letters 2: pp. 499-504
- Cysewski, G.R., Wilke, C.R. (1977) Rapid Ethanol Fermentations Using Vacuum and cell Recylce. Biotech. Bioeng. 19: pp. 1125
- Dubois, M., Gilles, K.A., Hamilton, J.K., Rebers, P.A., Smith, F. (1956) Colorimetric Method for the Determination of Sugar and Related Substances. Anal. Chem. 23: pp. 350
- Fletcher, M., M.J. Latham, J.M. Lynch, and P.R. Rutter (1980). “The characteristics of interfaces and their roles in microbial attachment” Microbial Adhesion to Surfaces, Berkeley, et al. (Ellis Horwood Publishers).
- Lee, K.J., Tribe, D.E., Rogers, P.L. (1979) Ethanol Production by Zymomonas Mobilis in Continuous Culture at High Glucose Concentration. Biotechnology Letters 1: pp. 421-426
- Rogers, P.L., Phil, D., Lee, K.J., Tribe, D.E. (1980) High Productivity Ethanol Fermentations with Zymomonas mobilis. Process Biochemistry 15: pp. 7
- Russel, E.W. (1973) Soil Conditions and Plant Growth. Longmans, London
- Switzenbaum, M.S. and Jewell, W.J. (1978). “Anaerobic Attached Film Expanded Bed Reactor Treatment of Dilute Organics” 51st Annual Water Pollution Control Federation Conference. Annaheim, Cal., 42 pp.
- Stanier, R.Y., Adelberg, E.A., Ingrohom, S.L. (1976) The Microbial World. Prentice-Hall, Inc., Englewood Cliffs, N.J.
- Continuous high rate production of ethanol by Zymomonas mobilis in an attached film expanded bed fermentor
Volume 4, Issue 5 , pp 323-328
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Agricultural Engineering Department, New York State College of Agricultural and Life Sciences Cornell University, 14853, Ithaca, NY, USA
- 2. Food Science Department, New York State College of Agricultural and Life Sciences Cornell University, 14853, Ithaca, NY, USA