The effect of electric field stimulation on the biosorption of uranium by non-living biomass derived from Kluyveromyces marxianus IMB3
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Non-living biomass from the thermotolerant, ethanol-producing yeast strain Kluyveromyces marxianus IMB3 is capable of uranium biosorption. The biomass has an observed biosorption capacity of 115mg uranium/g dry weight of biomass with a calculated value of 127mg uranium/g dry weight. Following exposure of the biomass to electric fields of 2,500 V/cm for 20msec. the maximum biosorption capacity (observed or calculated) for uranium did not differ significantly for the untreated biomass. However, at lower residual concentrations of uranium (<10mg/L) the capacity of the treated biomass for uranium was significantly increased above values obtained with untreated material.
- Banat, I.M., Nigram, P., Marchant, R. (1992) World J. Microbiol. Biotechnol. 8, 259–263.
- Barron, N., Marchant, R., McHale, L. McHale, A.P. (1994) Biotech. Letts. 16, 625–630.
- Barron, N. Marchant, R., McHale, L., McHale, A.P. (1995) Appl. Microbiol. Biotechnol. (In press).
- Brady, D., Marchant, R., McHale, L., McHale, A.P. (1994) Biotech. Letts. 16, 737–740.
- Fleming, M., Barron, N., McHale, L., Marchant, R., McHale, A.P. (1993) Biotech. Letts. 15, 1195–1198.
- Gadd, G.M., White, C. (1993) Trends Biotech. 11, 353–359.
- Holan, Z.R., Volesky, B., Praestyo, I. (1993) Biotech. Bioeng. 41, 819–825.
- McCabe, A., Barron, N., McHale, L., McHale, A.P. (1995) Biotech. Tech. (In press).
- Savvin, S.B. (1961) Talanta, 8, 673–685.
- Volesky, B., May, H. Holan, Z.R. (1993) Biotech. Bioeng. 41, 926–829.
- Yazgan, A., Ozcengiz, G., Alaeddinoglu, N.G. (1993) Biol. Trace El. Res., 38, 117–127.
- Yazgan, A., Ozcengiz, G. (1994) Biotech. Letts. 16, 871–874.
- The effect of electric field stimulation on the biosorption of uranium by non-living biomass derived from Kluyveromyces marxianus IMB3
Volume 17, Issue 4 , pp 439-442
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Biotechnology Research Group, School of Applied Biological and Chemical Sciences, University of Ulster, Coleraine, Co., BT52 1SA, Londonderry, Northern Ireland
- 2. Dept. of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, University of Alcala, Alcala de Henares, Madrid, Spain