Production of cellulase and β-glucosidase activities following growth of Streptomyces hygroscopicus on cellulose containing media
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The actinomycete, Streptomyces hygroscopicus was shown to be capable of producing extracellular cellulase and cell associated β-glucosidase activity during growth on cellulose containing media. Cell homogenates were shown to contain a β-glucosidase fraction which was stable for up to 24h. at 30°C and had half-lives of 480min. and 220min. at 40 and 50°C, respectively. The enzyme fraction was also shown to be optimally active at pH 4.0 suggesting that it might represent a suitable supplement for fungal cellulase systems, deficient in β-glucosidase activity.
- Berg,B & Pettersson,G (1977) Eur. J. Biochem. 46, 295–305.
- Irhuma,A., Gallagher,J, Hackett,T.J. & McHale,A.P. (1991) Biochim. Biophys. Acta 1074, 1–5.
- Katayeva,I.A., Golovchenka,N.P., Chuvilskaya,N.A. & Akimenko,V.K. (1992) Enz. Microb. Technol. 14, 407–412.
- Mikoc,A. & Kluepfel,D. (1990) Can. J. Microbiol. 46, 53–56.
- Moldoveanu,N. & Kluepfel,D. (1983) Appl. Env. Microbiol. 46, 17–21.
- McHale,A.P. & Coughlan,M.P. (1980) FEBS Letts. 117, 319–322.
- McHale,A.P. & Coughlan,M.P. (1982) J. Gen. Microbiol. 128, 2327–2331.
- Shewale, J.G. (1982) Int. J. Biochem. 14, 435–443.
- Sternberg,D. (1976) Appl. Env. Microbiol. 31, 648–654.
- Stoppok,W., Rapp,P. & Wagner,F. (1982) Appl. Env. Microbiol. 44, 44–53.
- Wood,T. (1992) Biochem. Soc. Trans. 20, 46–53.
- Production of cellulase and β-glucosidase activities following growth of Streptomyces hygroscopicus on cellulose containing media
Volume 15, Issue 12 , pp 1265-1268
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors